LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#3201 March 25 2018

stief96

Re: Feedback for Ogero

I forced my modem to sync at ADSL_G.dml.bis and it capped my speed on 8Mbps.
played online and watched channels(IPTV) for 2 hours and found that internet connection is better than before(no disconnections or dropouts)
packets loss is 5 instead of 236000.
so  i have to accept the fact that my line is noisy and the older ADSL2 modulation is way better than ADSL2+.

here the new stats
.0tx4U3F.png

Last edited by stief96 (March 25 2018)

#3202 March 25 2018

anayman_k7

I used to have electrical interference with my phone line so I installed a new Cat7 cable in a free fall way to the box, the cat7 was not necessary in this case but it helps, maybe it could solve your issue but it was a bit expensive, 1$ for 1 meter

#3203 March 25 2018

AVOlio

stief96 wrote:

played online and watched channels(IPTV) for 2 hours and found that internet connection is better than before(no disconnections or dropouts)
so  i have to accept the fact that my line is noisy and the older ADSL2 modulation is way better than ADSL2+.

here the new stats
.https://i.imgur.com/0tx4U3F.png

Out of context,
From who do you get your iptv susbcrption?

#3204 March 25 2018

Adnan

If you live on a high floor and have an elevator with an inverter, it could be the cause.

Check if you get errors when the elevator is running.

#3205 March 25 2018

stief96

AVOlio wrote:
stief96 wrote:

here the new stats
.https://i.imgur.com/0tx4U3F.png

Out of context,
From who do you get your iptv susbcrption?

for iptv in lebanon you can get technocom x10000 reciever with 1 year subscription for 90-100 $.its iptv is better than of Starsat recievers.
or you can get an iptv subscription as .m3u file which can be watched on computer,tablet or android box
i got mine form this one(after testing several providers).
https://www.google.com.lb/url?sa=t&sour … zzwz60Ecrn
always ask for a test for 24 hours from any iptv provider

Last edited by stief96 (March 25 2018)

#3206 March 25 2018

stief96

Adnan wrote:

If you live on a high floor and have an elevator with an inverter, it could be the cause.

i live in the first floor of an old building.

#3207 March 26 2018

xazbrat

Adnan wrote:

I have issues with the elevator---I got a new TPlink modem a couple of days ago and I can see the SNR margin go below zero when the elevator runs (it mostly doesn't cut out like the old Technicolor that it replaced).  Would replacing the old telephone wires with a shielded one help or are there other fixes?  In any case, I am going to get a tech out here soon so he can check the connection at the telephone box downstairs  and see if there is a difference.

Edit:  here are my stats from this morning--no electricity and more importantly, no elevator

Mode:    ADSL_re-adsl    
Traffic Type:    ATM
Link Power State:    L0

Downstream    Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):    On    On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):    106    107
Attenuation (0.1 dB):    465    253
Output Power (0.1 dBm):    184    106
Attainable Rate (Kbps):    2314    752

Path 0        
    Downstream    Upstream   
Rate (Kbps):    2047    751    0    0

Not great stats--it is a 2mb line from Ogero, and I am getting close to that now.  When the elevator runs, the SNR number does turn negative and if it isn't for very long, my connection hangs on.   If it is longer such as when natour goes to every floor to get pick up nightly garbage, then I lose the connection for a bit.  Now, the technicolor modem which replaced this, would automatically lose the connection no matter what, so it is an improvement.

Last edited by xazbrat (March 26 2018)

#3208 March 26 2018

dio

Guys, whether or not its the elevator running or whatever,  how can an issue suddenly arise like this?

As for the switching to ADSL, my line still drops when my connection is capped at 8 mb/s, granted less, but it still does.

#3209 March 26 2018

Adnan

xazbrat wrote:

I have issues with the elevator---I got a new TPlink modem a couple of days ago and I can see the SNR margin go below zero when the elevator runs (it mostly doesn't cut out like the old Technicolor that it replaced).  Would replacing the old telephone wires with a shielded one help or are there other fixes?  In any case, I am going to get a tech out here soon so he can check the connection at the telephone box downstairs  and see if there is a difference.

Edit:  here are my stats from this morning--no electricity and more importantly, no elevator

Mode:    ADSL_re-adsl    
Traffic Type:    ATM
Link Power State:    L0

Downstream    Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):    On    On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):    106    107
Attenuation (0.1 dB):    465    253
Output Power (0.1 dBm):    184    106
Attainable Rate (Kbps):    2314    752

Path 0        
    Downstream    Upstream   
Rate (Kbps):    2047    751    0    0

Not great stats--it is a 2mb line from Ogero, and I am getting close to that now.  When the elevator runs, the SNR number does turn negative and if it isn't for very long, my connection hangs on.   If it is longer such as when natour goes to every floor to get pick up nightly garbage, then I lose the connection for a bit.  Now, the technicolor modem which replaced this, would automatically lose the connection no matter what, so it is an improvement.

I haven't solved the issue personally since I haven't found any shielded cables. If you're willing to try this for yourself, please inform me of the outcome. In theory,  it should fix the issue with proper grounding.

I tested my line at the telephone box downstairs with the help of an electrician, the problem stopped occurring.
For now, I'm fixing the issue by tweaking my SNR (check the SNR tweaking sticky topic) but losing around 3Mbps of valuable speed (7Mbps down to 4Mbps).  My SNR margin drops by exactly 8dB when the elevator is running.

If you have an AM radio, tune it to 600KHz and run the elevator. You should hear the magnetic field right through your radio's speakers.

Last edited by Adnan (March 26 2018)

#3210 March 27 2018

xazbrat

Well, since the install of the inverter is fairly new here (they retrofit it on an existing system), I am getting the people who installed it out here to show them what their device is doing to my line.  They already left me a message saying their device is approved by Ogero blah blah blah, and it does not interfere with telephone or internet.  Anyhow, hopefully they show up this week and we can get started on solving this now that I can show them what their device is doing to my line.  I read that they have to ground it (don't know how you can do it without a ground) and install EMI filters on the device (who knows if they did that and if they did, how effective they would be without a ground).

Fingers crossed that this leads to something productive.

#3211 March 27 2018

dio

xazbrat wrote:

Well, since the install of the inverter is fairly new here (they retrofit it on an existing system), I am getting the people who installed it out here to show them what their device is doing to my line.  They already left me a message saying their device is approved by Ogero blah blah blah, and it does not interfere with telephone or internet.  Anyhow, hopefully they show up this week and we can get started on solving this now that I can show them what their device is doing to my line.  I read that they have to ground it (don't know how you can do it without a ground) and install EMI filters on the device (who knows if they did that and if they did, how effective they would be without a ground).

Here's a question, what the heck is an inverter?

#3212 March 27 2018

xazbrat

dio wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

Changes from AC to DC like regular inverters and can convert the power of an elevator moving into power for the elevator (supposed to make it more efficient and safer).

#3213 March 27 2018

dio

xazbrat wrote:
dio wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

Changes from AC to DC like regular inverters and can convert the power of an elevator moving into power for the elevator (supposed to make it more efficient and safer).

Interesting. That could explain the frequent disconnects in my house. I'll ask if they installed anything.

#3214 March 27 2018

Adnan

If you get to a solution with them please tell me, maybe I'll give it a shot here.

#3215 March 27 2018

Kazouza

Took Ogero exactly 1 month (27th February to 27th March) to fix a phone cable that was cut in the area. It affected a lot of people. I had to contact several people we knew as well as Mr Imad Kreidieh in order to finally get it fixed a month later...

#3216 March 27 2018

dio

Kazouza wrote:

Took Ogero exactly 1 month (27th February to 27th March) to fix a phone cable that was cut in the area. It affected a lot of people. I had to contact several people we knew as well as Mr Imad Kreidieh in order to finally get it fixed a month later...

Well to be fair they were on strike for like 2 weeks.

#3217 March 27 2018

Kazouza

dio wrote:
Kazouza wrote:

Well to be fair they were on strike for like 2 weeks.

The strike ended less than a week after the problem occurred. Not to mention, I could tell from our conversation that Mr Kreidieh was unhappy with the strike, he even mentioned that irresponsible people took advantage of him being away to go on strike. I must say though that he somewhat handled the whole strike thing quite professionally.

#3218 March 28 2018

xazbrat

Hey guys, I am still waiting for the elevator guy to contact me, but in the meantime, I am looking for temporary solutions.  One thing I have seen to reduce EMI are ferrite rings or cores.  I looked and they sell them at Katranji and probably elsewhere and they are really inexpensive and supposed to help reduce EMI and you don't need a ground.  Anyone have any experience with them? 

(I did a search of ferrite on here and no results)

#3219 March 28 2018

Adnan

How many of them will you need? What's the price?

#3220 March 28 2018

xazbrat

Adnan wrote:

How many of them will you need? What's the price?

This is why I am asking---here is the price list at Katranji http://www.ekt2.com/products/searchResu … 0000000000  They are pretty inexpensive.

As for how many, no clue.  There is a snap on core apparently which you can use for coax, hdmi, dvi and other cables to reduce interference like this for electronic dummies like me and other stuff like this contraption for more advanced users.

No clue if it works, but I figured I could use on a coax cable if it didn't help, and just looking around for other fixes instead of relying on others.

#3221 March 28 2018

DG

Anyone with high latency and ping time out tonight ?

#3222 March 28 2018

Ahmad Toutounji

DG wrote:

Anyone with high latency and ping time out tonight ?

high latency, packet loss and max 1.5mb speed

#3223 March 28 2018

Mayyad

Yes 1.5 Mbps max

#3224 March 28 2018

Raficoo

Yea something definitely up, getting quite a bit of time outs and while speedtest.net shows 3mbit(guessing it's cached), all http downloads aren't exceeding 45KB/s

#3225 March 28 2018

vengeance666

Internet since last night is complete shit in the entire region. So much packet loss it's even unusable for browsing.

Board footer