LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#201 January 11 2012

The-MMMs

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

^well said

IMEWE simply made latency better - with some ISP's it was already fine

Although it's quite absurd with what is happening with Sodetel and even some other private ISP users - i highly believe it is a problem at the ISP end - hopefully they will fix it soon for you guys.

#202 January 11 2012

Dirol

Aly wrote:

I think you misunderstood something, what do you mean before fiber optic ? we always had a fiber backbone in Lebanon since 1995 (I think) so even before the IMEWE it was possible to get low pings from ISPs, the IMEWE just increased the capacity, but before the IMEWE we didnt have "Sat with high ping" and "Sat with low ping" we had both sat and fiber.

Ohh. I didn't know that we had such a thing from a long time before the IMEWE. Got the point clearly.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Dirol (January 11 2012)

#203 January 11 2012

Dirol

The-MMMs wrote:

^well said

IMEWE simply made latency better - with some ISP's it was already fine

Although it's quite absurd with what is happening with Sodetel and even some other private ISP users - i highly believe it is a problem at the ISP end - hopefully they will fix it soon for you guys.

When i contacted Sod. lately for having high pings of 3xxms and 4xxms, i was told that "it is normal because it is a shared account". Same thing every time. Lol!
Well, i hope that too.

Thanks mate.

Last edited by Dirol (January 12 2012)

#204 January 12 2012

GeorgeN

Dirol please PM me your package information in addition to a tracert to the server you are playing on, or bbc.co.uk doesn't matter.

As for the credibility of the information I provided about them transferring regular users to a satellite connection, I heard from a very reliable source (Sodetel employee) that they've begun doing it.

#205 January 12 2012

Dirol

GeorgeN wrote:

Dirol please PM me your package information in addition to a tracert to the server you are playing on, or bbc.co.uk doesn't matter.

As for the credibility of the information I provided about them transferring regular users to a satellite connection, I heard from a very reliable source (Sodetel employee) that they've begun doing it.

Ok. Done.

#206 January 14 2012

ph_black

Hello guys,  I want to share my experience with ISPs
I live in mansourieh with close proximity to the 'central ' .

First I had IDM 1-2 years ago  they had good speed but realy bad ping 1xxx and up than after a while it got reduced somehow to 200-300ish stable all the time exept 11pm and up .

I switched to Terranet , and my ping was stable 150-250 always anytime ,  no DC  Perfect , But the download speed was bad  specially after 11pm it was 15-20 kb/s for a 2m account .

Low speed fact made me cancel Terranet Again and now I am thinking of trying SODETEL because :
1) my PHP Teacher ( owner of php and web programming company ) told me that Sodetel is the best and most respected ISP  currently in the domain 
2)  The 4m  Special Plan 

I hope their ping is good (for dota 2)  ,  Currently waiting for 1 month for the installation .
Your opinion on the situation ?

Thanks for reading .

#207 January 14 2012

Dirol

For me, it is kind of a buffling thing. As you can see few users in here are complaining about the high latency and few others not, in addition to other issues if you read the previous posts and "The 4 m Special Plan" your teacher told you about?!......

Also, I don't want to make you anxious, but if you scroll up, a user said that Sodetel is starting to remove regular users from fiber backbones to the satellite ones and giving the first to companies.....whereas another user said that "Not just Sodetel... All ISPs"....

Well, It is better to test it yourself. Good Luck!

For the general benefit, may you ask your teacher:
1-What does he think about the above statement of the "fiber and satellite backbones......etc."?
2-Why did he call the 4 Mb plan as "a special plan"?

Last edited by Dirol (January 14 2012)

#208 January 15 2012

ph_black

Dirol wrote:

For the general benefit, may you ask your teacher:
1-What does he think about the above statement of the "fiber and satellite backbones......etc."?
2-Why did he call the 4 Mb plan as "a special plan"?

First of all , I will ask him as soon as i get the chance .

Second , I think 4m is special because you are getting theoretical 4 meg for 40$ whereas other ISP for 40$ u get 2m .

I Will try  the latency and if its bad I am gonna cancel and wait another month until I find the " Best " ISP.

(until now terra net is best latency wise )

#209 January 16 2012

Dirol

ph_black wrote:

Second , I think 4m is special because you are getting theoretical 4 meg for 40$ whereas other ISP for 40$ u get 2m .
(until now terra net is best latency wise )

Well, for the $ yes but awaiting , if any, further info about it from your teacher.
For wise, also my friend's friend who lives in Saleam Slem has a ping of around 9xxms and 8xxms...

Did you mean "latency wise" as an expression or WISE the ADSL Company ?

Last edited by Dirol (January 16 2012)

#210 January 21 2012

karim

Did anyone try the 8M package from Sodetel yet? Any feedback on what to expect?

#211 January 21 2012

Ziad87

I am using the 8 Mb package. Speed tests usually show an average download speed of 5-6 Mbps while upload speeds are relatively stable at 0.74 Mbps. As for actual speeds of torrents I think they are performing some traffic shaping since torrents always hover around 100 - 250 KB/s during midnight but then they become faster towards the morning. Direct http downloads are very fast however.

#212 January 21 2012

karim

Thanks Ziad87!

Is it consistent throughout the day?
What about ping/jitter?

#213 January 22 2012

Ziad87

You're welcome.

I don't really use it a lot during the day since I am usually at work. However, from my experience so far, during the day it's the same as during the night if not better.

As for the ping, when I first got the upgraded speed, it was averaging in the low 100s. Recently whenever I do speed tests I get results averaging 160. I haven't really tested/benchmarked jitter and my Internet use mainly consists of downloads and regular browsing so I cannot really comment on it.

#214 January 22 2012

recon1025

I have recently contacted Sodetel and informed them about ahsandsl.com and the high level of interest in seeing their performance results. They showed interest and stated that they will get back to me. So far I haven't heard back from them but have setup a poll on the site to demonstrate the people's desire to see their results.

#215 January 22 2012

karim

@Ziad87 How about weekends? I'm on VISP and lately, it has become unbearable during evenings and weekends.

#216 January 29 2012

Dirol

Ziad87 wrote:

As for the ping, when I first got the upgraded speed, it was averaging in the low 100s. Recently whenever I do speed tests I get results averaging 160.

Did you have pings above 200ms before upgrading from 1 Mb to 8 Mb plan?!

Last edited by Dirol (January 29 2012)

#217 January 29 2012

Dirol

Sodetel: 2 Mb plan:
Download speed around 2xx KB/s with pings of 3xxms and 4xxms.

Is it a Satellite or a Fiber IP?

If a satellite connection then did they upgrade to higher speeds or is it the old 2 Mb HDSL?! Someone explain please!

Last edited by Dirol (January 29 2012)

#218 January 29 2012

AvoK95

The regular pings are 90 to 200ms and I highly doubt that a satalit connection is going to make the pings go higher.
So I think you're still in the process of upgrading.

#219 January 30 2012

Ziad87

During weekends the connection is relatively the same.

Dirol, I honestly don't remember how high my pings were before the upgrade.

#220 January 30 2012

Dirol

Thanks @Ziad87

AvoK95 wrote:

The regular pings are 90 to 200ms and I highly doubt that a satalit connection is going to make the pings go higher.
So I think you're still in the process of upgrading.

I didn't get this sentence precisely: "I highly doubt that a satalit connection is going to make the pings go higher.", but when i contacted support, i was told that: "after upgrading with ogero and.....300ms to 400ms is normal because it is a shared account". What does this exactly mean?
in addition to what was said in here about removing regular users from fiber to satellite connections and giving it to companies....

reclarify please...

Last edited by Dirol (January 30 2012)

#221 January 30 2012

Aly

Dirol, this have been clarified over and over again the 3XX ms and 4XX ms delay is caused by satellites, after the upgrade my ping became 90-100 ms everyday and any time of the day, now it is a nightmare, everyday I come back from work I find out my ping is 300-400 ms I keep changing my IP until I get one from the fiber pool, sometimes its successful after 40-50 times and sometimes from the first couple tries.
Sodetel wont tell you that you are on Satellite, they will simply say "Oh sir, 400 ms is normal because its a shared account".

#222 January 31 2012

Dirol

Aly wrote:

Dirol, this have been clarified over and over again the 3XX ms and 4XX ms delay is caused by satellites,

Eh sho wi2fit 3laye!

Before

Aly wrote:

4 Mbps here, 80% of the times I am on fiber (ping 90-100ms) the other 20% I am on Sat

After

Aly wrote:

now it is a nightmare, everyday I come back from work I find out my ping is 300-400 ms I keep changing my IP until I get one from the fiber pool,

yes mate... just wanted to make sure if upgrading to 4 Mbps will help as of what i heared but seems there's no clear evidence according to what you stated above in different times.

If you have any idea whether it is the same case with other ISPs or not, please let me know....

Last edited by Dirol (January 31 2012)

#223 January 31 2012

Aly

Look technically I am 100% on Fiber, because as Mentioned before I keep changing my IP until I go back to the fiber pool, but it became very annoying lately because I am more and more frequently on Sat and it requires sometimes 40-50 IP change to return back to fiber, while before it was for the first couple attempts, so yes having 4 Mbps does not grant you special connection different from the 2 Mbps, so if your target is to get lower ping upgrading your speed is not the solution with Sodetel, don't waste your money
As for other ISPs I am not sure, best way is to check with your friends / family who are connected to the same central as you to judge.

#224 January 31 2012

AvoK95

Dirol wrote:

reclarify please...

A shared connection ?
Only Cable ISP's only use shared connections.
I think support just said something off the top of their heads.
As for the upgrade : Why would they upgrade the connections to a satellite connection if it was going to raise pings?
it just doesn't make sense.

#225 January 31 2012

AVOlio

I applied for Sodetel 2 mb package, and still waiting for the installation..
I hope that when i play online on my PS3 , there wont be noooo laaagggss or disconnections !!
Thats if when i actually get my ps3 back from Sony

Board footer