LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1751 September 26 2017

solo220

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

DSL is down for the past 8 hours in hadat/baabda, it is the fourth time this month,last one was sunday all day long.

Last edited by solo220 (September 26 2017)

#1752 September 26 2017

ahb21

Internet has been down in Bir Hassan/Jnah since midnight, this is the second time this happens. They sent an apology via sms last time it happened and yet here we are again. What is happening? I've been subscribed to Sodetel since 2012 and never once has this happened for such an extended period of time, at max I'd lose the connection for a few hours but not an entire day.

#1753 September 29 2017

GeorgeN

Hi guys I just wanted to ask has anyone been suffering internet downtimes with Sodetel using a TP-link modem (TD-W8970). My connection dies for like an hour every time i restart the modem.

Last edited by GeorgeN (September 29 2017)

#1754 September 30 2017

semaan

GeorgeN wrote:

Hi guys I just wanted to ask has anyone been suffering internet downtimes with Sodetel using a TP-link modem (TD-W8970). My connection dies for like an hour every time i restart the modem.

Me too, the same problem, i have linksys x1000 and the zte the same problem

#1755 October 1 2017

vengeance666

semaan wrote:
GeorgeN wrote:

The linksys x1000 has a software bug where it would randomly hang until you restart it once each 1 or 2 days. I never suggest that piece of garbage to anyone looking to buy a modem.

#1756 October 2 2017

semaan

vengeance666 wrote:
semaan wrote:
GeorgeN wrote:

The linksys x1000 has a software bug where it would randomly hang until you restart it once each 1 or 2 days. I never suggest that piece of garbage to anyone looking to buy a modem.

what do you recommend for a dsl modem?

#1757 October 3 2017

vengeance666

semaan wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:
semaan wrote:

what do you recommend for a dsl modem?

Depends on what you look for in a modem as budget and features available . If you are looking for a cheap and decent modem with a good interface and that won't cause issues like hanging for no reason D-link modems are quite nice like the D-link 2750U, I found it to be cheap and reliable. Also stay away from TP-link W series they have shitty RAM management it's a pain in the ass sometimes to make them save changes you did in their interface (changing wifi pass for example) even if you try "fixing" it with turning off upnp.

Last edited by vengeance666 (October 3 2017)

#1758 November 30 2017

nefe_lpmk

Anyone downloading faster than 1.3 MB/s or 11 Mbps?
I am syncing at 22 Mbps and speed-testing at ~20.
I am never getting over this rate, seems it is hard capped from Sodetel?
So much for open speed!

#1759 December 1 2017

kfc

nefe_lpmk wrote:

So much for open speed!

If you are speedtesting at 20 mbps, it means that your speed is not capped!

#1760 December 1 2017

mikasa

yea it seems it is capped . before the upgrade i was getting 7 mbps , after the upgrade i'm getting 9-9.5 mbps

#1761 December 2 2017

nefe_lpmk

kfc wrote:
nefe_lpmk wrote:

So much for open speed!

Speed-test automatically picks a local server, which are rigged and always give 20+ m.
If you want the real speed, pick a server outside Lebanon and the speed will drop to 10-11.

#1762 December 2 2017

kfc

nefe_lpmk wrote:
kfc wrote:
nefe_lpmk wrote:

So much for open speed!

Speed-test automatically picks a local server, which are rigged and always give 20+ m.
If you want the real speed, pick a server outside Lebanon and the speed will drop to 10-11.

it means they don't have enough international bandwith!

#1763 December 3 2017

vengeance666

kfc wrote:
nefe_lpmk wrote:
kfc wrote:

it means they don't have enough international bandwith!

Well that's what matters right? Every game you play, every video you stream, every download server you are downloading from, all of those are located somewhere outside Lebanon mainly Europe west. Who cares what I would get connecting to a server in Lebanon. Most optimal choice is to speedtest Marseille-Orange because as far as I remember that's where we get our internet from, and well I find it the most accurate, I get the same ping in games and download speeds.

#1764 March 15 2018

new_user

Anyone had issues with Sodetel this morning? Internet was not working. Their website is currently down as well as the account management portal

#1765 March 15 2018

FadZ

new_user wrote:

Anyone had issues with Sodetel this morning? Internet was not working. Their website is currently down as well as the account management portal

Same

#1766 March 26 2018

Mhmd

Noticed some improvement on the connection since Saturday
I have the 2Mbps unlimited plan, speet tests always showed 1.2~1.3 Mbps speed maximum.
This weekend the speeds were stable at 1.9~2Mbps.

#1767 March 31 2018

new_user

Anyone else experiencing a lot of line drops/ internet disconnection? It has been unbearable the past couple of days!

#1768 March 31 2018

DG

new_user, check your modem/line stats. If you don't know how, search for the modem brand/model on the Internet and how to access the stats page.

#1769 April 2 2018

new_user

DG wrote:

new_user, check your modem/line stats. If you don't know how, search for the modem brand/model on the Internet and how to access the stats page.

Is there something in particular I should keep an eye out for when checking the stats?

#1770 April 3 2018

DG

Depending on your modem brand they might be called something else, but in general you want to check things like SN Margin (the higher the better), "CRC" and "HEC" errors, Loss of link, Loss of signal, etc...

#1771 April 4 2018

new_user

I had these stats this morning following a couple disconnections. What can I make of them?

Link Information

Uptime:    0 days, 0:10:56
Modulation:    G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    738 / 2.602
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:    0,00 / 0,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:    12,0 / 19,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:    40,0 / 60,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:    9,5 / 10,0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):    TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    10 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):    0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    480 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):    96.551 / 2.134
CRC Errors (Up/Down):    306 / 2
HEC Errors (Up/Down):    1.060 / 2

#1772 April 4 2018

DG

Your Line attenuation is bad and I don't think a 60+  down attenuation can support 1024kbps... let alone 2600kbps. The max you might be able to get away with would be 512kbps.
The further you are from the central phone office the higher your line attenuation and the lower your SNR.
You basically want a low attenuation and a high snr.

You also have quite a few CRC and HEC errors for an 11 mins uptime. Add to that 10 loss of signal detections and I wouldn't be surprised you are having disconnections.

Start by asking your ISP if they can lower your "Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps to 256 /1024" and see if that helps.

Check this for more info:  https://www.ncf.ca/ncf/support/wiki/Line_stats_(DSL)

Last edited by DG (April 4 2018)

#1773 April 5 2018

new_user

Thanks for the interpretation and the reference link. That was very helpful!

#1774 April 14 2018

new_user

Does anyone know details regarding the fair usage policy for the 2M unlimited plan? I called the support a while ago and they told me that each month I will be placed with a "shared" pool of users that use the same amount of data as I used the previous month. Thus if I am a heavy user I will be placed with heavy users the next month and thus get a slower rate. They refused to give me numbers like how many GB I can download per month and still get a speed of 2MBps the next month.

Please let me know if u have more information regarding the matter. For example if I download 100 or 150 GB a month what rate should i expect the next month? (I have a ps4 that consumes huge volumes of data for game downloads and updates.

Btw Sodetels's explanation didn't make much sense to me. Assume we have a sample of 1000 users and 2 users are very heavy users while 998 are light users. In such scenario the 998 will be placed in one pool and the 2 will be placed in 1 pool so the heavy users are probably better off. There is probably more to that in the fair usage policy that they did not tell me about.

#1775 April 14 2018

Aly

Just dont trust what support people say, FUP is usually implemented  by NOC and it is a set of complex scripts that monitor the subscribers usage and anyone flagged as heavy user or abuser will be doomed with a slow connection.
The only real unlimited plans (expensive though) are the ones from Ogero.

Board footer