LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1651 December 11 2015

Totoro

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Adnan wrote:

Having a public IP implies that you're not behind a NAT from your ISP so you can play with ports freely. It also means that you can access your router from the Internet without having to ask the ISP to do NAT forwarding. These are the main interests.

I have the 4Mbps 45GB GREEN plan.

As for the speed details I don't have much but it's around 3.5Mbps. During the free period it can go down to 1Mbps especially around 2am. But it comes back to normal rather quickly as far as I saw. Yesterday I was watching YouTube around 1am until 2:30 and all the videos were streaming in 720 to 1080p.

Important note: I don't suck the bandwidth dry during the free period as some people do, you might experience FUP if you do so. My big downloads during the free time are usually game updates for the PS4 which don't come out very frequently.

I don't know how you receive such speeds while playing. But my ping has been around 400-500 lately. I play CSGO, World of Warcraft, LoL, Dota2. It's the same in all of them. Sometimes my google ping is 42ms but in-game it's as big as 400-500 on European servers.

Whenever I call them they tell me ping from 300 to 500 is 'normal' (wtf).
If it's stable it's at 120-140 ms and it lags.
Guess which plan I'm using? DSL 16M - BLUE. And it's terrible so far.

Any idea how I can fix my ping with your private- public IP thingy? I didn't quite get the difference.

#1652 December 19 2015

Adnan

@Totoro, sorry bro but the IP thing has nothing to do with the latency. Good luck, you should probably switch to another provider. I'm just being lucky for the moment I guess.

#1653 December 24 2015

themike10452

Totoro wrote:
Adnan wrote:

Having a public IP implies that you're not behind a NAT from your ISP so you can play with ports freely. It also means that you can access your router from the Internet without having to ask the ISP to do NAT forwarding. These are the main interests.

I have the 4Mbps 45GB GREEN plan.

As for the speed details I don't have much but it's around 3.5Mbps. During the free period it can go down to 1Mbps especially around 2am. But it comes back to normal rather quickly as far as I saw. Yesterday I was watching YouTube around 1am until 2:30 and all the videos were streaming in 720 to 1080p.

Important note: I don't suck the bandwidth dry during the free period as some people do, you might experience FUP if you do so. My big downloads during the free time are usually game updates for the PS4 which don't come out very frequently.

I don't know how you receive such speeds while playing. But my ping has been around 400-500 lately. I play CSGO, World of Warcraft, LoL, Dota2. It's the same in all of them. Sometimes my google ping is 42ms but in-game it's as big as 400-500 on European servers.

Whenever I call them they tell me ping from 300 to 500 is 'normal' (wtf).
If it's stable it's at 120-140 ms and it lags.
Guess which plan I'm using? DSL 16M - BLUE. And it's terrible so far.

Any idea how I can fix my ping with your private- public IP thingy? I didn't quite get the difference.

I think sodetel have a 'Gaming package'. My friend emailed them about that exact same problem, ping is around 500 in dota 2, they told him that this is normal (yea wtf), if he's a gamer he should contact them to switch to a gaming package, which I guess implies giving you a static IP.

#1654 December 24 2015

ironman

Sodetel's gaming package costs around 70$ for a 2MB and gives you a ping between 100 and 150, yes up to 150, just change the provider guys.

#1655 January 22 2016

user

Sodetel's 70$ "gaming package" costs 16$ with ogero.

#1656 January 22 2016

Georges00

user wrote:

Sodetel's 70$ "gaming package" costs 16$ with ogero.

Exactly

#1657 February 9 2016

A.L

I'm with sodetel unlimited plan,
the FUP is terrible, and i can't wait for a month to move from one company to another, so i'm considering their 4M 45GB plan, do you guys think it's worth it or will I also pass through hell to search for something on google?
thank you.

#1658 February 9 2016

ragdoll

FUP applies on all of their plans. In my opinion, you should get a backup wireless (Mobi, iFly, Connect, etc...) connection for a month and switch to Ogero.

#1659 February 12 2016

omar_killer

A.L wrote:

I'm with sodetel unlimited plan,
the FUP is terrible, and i can't wait for a month to move from one company to another, so i'm considering their 4M 45GB plan, do you guys think it's worth it or will I also pass through hell to search for something on google?
thank you.

I was in the same situation as you a month ago,

I had the Unlimited 2Mbps and went to 4Mbps/45Gigs

The latency didn't change much..I called them and they said that their company's policy is that a "good" ping is from 90ms till 500ms (!!)

download speed is stable.

I'm really not happy with the new plan since the only reason I wanted to change plans is because of the latency, I'm thinking of switching to Ogero in the summer.

#1660 April 6 2016

Moudimadi

Hello All, i just wanna ask what is the best Annex Type for my TP-Link Adsl modem router? Annex A, A/L, or A/I/J/L/M? Even though my Dsl Modulation type is Auto Sync-Up. Thanks.

#1661 May 26 2016

georgegermanos

Hi guys!

I think Sodetel is blocking my Torrent downloads. This occurs even during the day - I'm on a 4mb fixed IP line and regardless of the time of day, bittorrent seems blocked. I'm not even close to using up my allotted quota and have about half remaining.

I've even tried to use VPN via IPSec or PPTP with no luck :( Anyone know of a way to get around this? I'll go crazy if I can't download the latest Game of Thrones episode in 1080p this week.

#1662 May 26 2016

NuclearVision

there is a workaround. use a seedbox. basically torrent is peer to peer so you're not downloading through http, a seedbox downloads a torrent for you then makes it available through http(normal speed). a seed box is not usually expensive good luck.

#1663 May 26 2016

georgegermanos

NuclearVision wrote:

there is a workaround. use a seedbox. basically torrent is peer to peer so you're not downloading through http, a seedbox downloads a torrent for you then makes it available through http(normal speed). a seed box is not usually expensive good luck.

Thanks for the reply, I've used seedboxes in the past, however downloading through FTP in Lebanon is not ideal. I haven't found a reliable FTP or SSH client that has solid resume download support - when download 10gb files, starting from square one is awful :( Any one else know of a workaround or way to bypass them throttling quota that I am paying for?

#1664 May 26 2016

xazbrat

Another solution--try going through some of the TV series streaming sites and find a 1080p stream and use a file grabber to get the file.  Unless you are also shooting for DTS sound, this should work for you.  The problem is that with such a high profile show is that a lot of streams are being taken down almost as quickly as they are being put up. 

GL

#1665 May 27 2016

hussam

georgegermanos wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I've used seedboxes in the past, however downloading through FTP in Lebanon is not ideal. I haven't found a reliable FTP or SSH client that has solid resume download support - when download 10gb files, starting from square one is awful :( Any one else know of a workaround or way to bypass them throttling quota that I am paying for?

If you are comfortable with command line, those the following tools. Both support resuming:
- Wget has windows binaries. It supports ftp.
- Curl does too https://curl.haxx.se/download.html (scroll down to the windows binary). Curl also supports SSH.  Curl is preinstalled on macs too.

Last edited by hussam (May 27 2016)

#1666 May 28 2016

FadZ

Welp, I've been a client of their's for about a year and 2 months, my experience hasn't been all that great. Started out at around 250kB/s, and that was on the 2mbps package. I then updated to the 4mbps package and the speed was at first the same. But all good things have to come to an end. Skip forward two months, my top speed is 100 kB/s. It's been like that ever since. It's most likely the FUP, I have most of my heavy downloads at night, even though ruining my day speed wouldn't make sense since I'm losing data anyway. I really lost hope with internet, I don't think there's any better alternative for me. All my hopes are (unrealistically) dumped on the ministry of telecommunications and their plans to install fiber optics technology for residential use.

#1667 May 30 2016

Totoro

FadZ wrote:

Welp, I've been a client of their's for about a year and 2 months, my experience hasn't been all that great. Started out at around 250kB/s, and that was on the 2mbps package. I then updated to the 4mbps package and the speed was at first the same. But all good things have to come to an end. Skip forward two months, my top speed is 100 kB/s. It's been like that ever since. It's most likely the FUP, I have most of my heavy downloads at night, even though ruining my day speed wouldn't make sense since I'm losing data anyway. I really lost hope with internet, I don't think there's any better alternative for me. All my hopes are (unrealistically) dumped on the ministry of telecommunications and their plans to install fiber optics technology for residential use.

I've tried everything Sodetel, they're really one of the worst. My ping is at 180-500 with their most expensive package right now. I was waiting for the summer to be able to change to Ogero or something but apparently even the infamous 2mbps unlimited package now has its flaws.
So yes, it's all because of the corrupt government and ministry right now. I say we should protest this thing more and make it public.
Along with protests about electricity, water etc...

#1668 June 21 2016

Adnan

Has anyone ever tried to negotiate a trade-off? My line can only support 4Mbps, is it possible to get the 8Mbps but with extra GB because I'm not getting the full speed?

#1669 June 22 2016

Totoro

Adnan wrote:

Has anyone ever tried to negotiate a trade-off? My line can only support 4Mbps, is it possible to get the 8Mbps but with extra GB because I'm not getting the full speed?

Yeah, it's what I'm doing currently, I get 8Mbps or 8 to 11 even though I asked for 16.

I need to change it soon to Ogero but I just can't get rid of my connection for 2 months right now to do so.

#1670 June 26 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

How good is the Sodetel Connect?
It's interesting as the 50$ modem is both Wifi to receive internet and to give for devices, 2mb/s speed and unlimited night traffic
PS: it's for mountain house so no big investment here

#1671 August 23 2016

Moudimadi

Hello Guys, when i go to speedtest.net, i'm recently getting isp: BBP-AS, i'm a Sodetel subscriber. Anyone getting this ISP too? And why? Thanks.

#1672 September 28 2016

Totoro

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried Sodetel's ping plan (Fixed IP)?
If yes I would appreciate some feedback since I'm not downloading much and will only be needing stable ping with no interruptions/lag.

#1673 September 28 2016

ManOwaRR

U sure u dont want to download

Fifa 17 29gb
Nba2k17 53gb
Forza 3 29gb
Gears 4 probably 50+
Battlefield 1 50+

Many many good games

#1674 September 28 2016

Totoro

My friend has a net cafe and my relatives live in the same building, all with a decent internet connection to download all that, unlimited at night too.
I can manage downloading things I need but I can't afford disconnecting every time I'm raiding with 20 people and causing them all to die because of 1 disconnect (I play healer) or ruin a 5v5 CSGO/dota2/League game as well.

Also BF1 will be way smoother with 90-100 ping instead of 150-500.

Have you tried their fixed IP plan?

#1675 September 28 2016

ManOwaRR

Yeah i did years ago
For gaming terranet still has the lowest latency 58-60ms
Ogero is next on 74-80ms
Sodetel 110ms stable with fixed ip

Board footer