LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 October 8 2011

Bassem

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

After bumping up to 2 Mb yesterday, mine is back to .5 Mb. They were testing.

Offline

#27 October 8 2011

Hitman6267

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Me too. Any one asked them when their upgrades are going to be final ?

Offline

#28 October 8 2011

Ziad87

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Mine is still the same I think. Just checked now and it's 2.44 Mbps. And last night I was able to download 4.7 GB.

Offline

#29 October 8 2011

TheStunMan

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Sodetel upgraded this way: Normal speed at day and sometimes double speed between 4-11pm but half speed at night....

Last edited by TheStunMan (October 8 2011)

Offline

#30 October 8 2011

Ruroken

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

1523474258.png

As i said, its unstable, hopefully it will improve in the coming days and not go up and down all the time

Offline

#31 October 8 2011

trophyhunter

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

guys guys its not about stable or unstable i called them and they told me they are testing the speeds the stable speeds will be implented on 15th october

Offline

#32 October 8 2011

GeorgeN

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

trophyhunter wrote:

guys guys its not about stable or unstable i called them and they told me they are testing the speeds the stable speeds will be implented on 15th october

That's great and all, but is that when we'll have a full IMEWE connection (80ms pings in addition to the upgraded speeds), because the current latency suggests they still have us on old connections.

And about unlimited quota at night, I spoke to my brother who works at Sodetel, and he has confirmed that they won't be offering unlimited quota.

Offline

#33 October 8 2011

Aly

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

GeorgeN wrote:

And about unlimited quota at night, I spoke to my brother who works at Sodetel, and he has confirmed that they won't be offering unlimited quota.

You mean they will remove the 128k and 256 Unlimited day & night account or they will remove the unlimited night traffic for regular accounts ?

Offline

#34 October 8 2011

GeorgeN

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

They will remove the unlimited night traffic for regular accounts, because there is no way in hell they can handle everyone downloading at night with 4mbit connections, they're at peak as is.

Offline

#35 October 8 2011

Aly

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

^^ I personally agree, if they do it to improve the Qos, with prices lower than Ogero, as a result people can get the advertised speed any time of the day it will be great.

Offline

#36 October 8 2011

Hitman6267

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

GeorgeN wrote:

They will remove the unlimited night traffic for regular accounts, because there is no way in hell they can handle everyone downloading at night with 4mbit connections, they're at peak as is.

That isn't an excuse, they are allegedly getting more bandwidth therefore they should be able to provide it.

My logic is the following, if the assumptions are true it is valid but I don't know if the assumptions are true. 
Previously they had resources that allowed them to provide unlimited night at the available speeds.
If they get resources proportional to the amount of increase of speed they should be able to provide the same services i.e. unlimited night.

I'm under the impression that the capacity we're gaining from the IMEWE is far bigger than our needs. How is sodetel reaching its peak so early on ?

Offline

#37 October 8 2011

Ruroken

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

GeorgeN wrote:

They will remove the unlimited night traffic for regular accounts, because there is no way in hell they can handle everyone downloading at night with 4mbit connections, they're at peak as is.

That would be almost a suicidal decision. I'm sure a lot of their users (including me) will change from Sodetel almost instantly. It's better to offer 2Mb at the price of $40 like IDM and still keep the unlimited night traffic than to offer 4Mb with no night traffic. This is such a bad business decision if they confirm it.

Offline

#38 October 9 2011

Kareem

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Hitman6267 wrote:
GeorgeN wrote:

They will remove the unlimited night traffic for regular accounts, because there is no way in hell they can handle everyone downloading at night with 4mbit connections, they're at peak as is.

That isn't an excuse, they are allegedly getting more bandwidth therefore they should be able to provide it.

My logic is the following, if the assumptions are true it is valid but I don't know if the assumptions are true. 
Previously they had resources that allowed them to provide unlimited night at the available speeds.
If they get resources proportional to the amount of increase of speed they should be able to provide the same services i.e. unlimited night.

I'm under the impression that the capacity we're gaining from the IMEWE is far bigger than our needs. How is sodetel reaching its peak so early on ?

Well I think this is not very accurate; I am not a ADSL expert but from what I believe you are forgetting the link capacity.

Assuming

DSLAM capacity is 500 subscriber
bandwidth of Optical Cable = 600mbps  ( OC-12 line )

if 25% of subscribers are downloading at 4mbps -> 500x 0.25 * 4mbps  = 500mbps

=> Bandwidth saturated..

256kbps users non stop download at night 200 = 50mbps only which is tolerable.

Imagine if sodetel has 5000 subscribers and 1000 of them are downloading at night @ 4mbps that would be 4Gbps total which is almost half the national bandwidth.

Offline

#39 October 9 2011

trophyhunter

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

48295326.png

Offline

#40 October 9 2011

trophyhunter

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

48295380.png

Offline

#41 October 9 2011

trophyhunter

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1524884049.png
same speed but new excellent ping

Offline

#42 October 9 2011

Hitman6267

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

@Kareem
I have no knowledge about the subject but I have a question.
According to you the limiting factor is the optical cable. Is that an infrastructure thing or a per ISP thing ? If it's an ISP thing shouldn't they upgrade it as well ? (or adopt another system)

My concern lies with the supposed ability of other ISPs to continue giving the unlimited night option. If others can it's the responsibility of Sodetel to match them.

The ideal solution for me is for them (every one) to cheapen the charge per extra GB. That way we can buy the amount of bandwidth we need. 6000LL/GB is still expensive for a heavy downloader.

Offline

#43 October 9 2011

Kareem

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Hitman6267 wrote:

@Kareem
I have no knowledge about the subject but I have a question.
According to you the limiting factor is the optical cable. Is that an infrastructure thing or a per ISP thing ? If it's an ISP thing shouldn't they upgrade it as well ? (or adopt another system)

My concern lies with the supposed ability of other ISPs to continue giving the unlimited night option. If others can it's the responsibility of Sodetel to match them.

The ideal solution for me is for them (every one) to cheapen the charge per extra GB. That way we can buy the amount of bandwidth we need. 6000LL/GB is still expensive for a heavy downloader.

Well unfortunately I don't have accurate data as said above about the network topology, but I'd say infrastructure thing from CO to DSLAM. Upgrading everything needs time and effort + money.

I believe our infrastructure was not prepared to handle such mediocre bandwidth.

IMHO, 10Gbps is still below the country needs.

-The number of ADSL subscribers is increasing day by day
-Blackberry has been introduced couple of years ago
-GPRS upgraded to EDGE and now 3G
-Facebook users increasing rapidly ( even my mom who I never thought would sit behind a screen, checks her FB daily ) and now most companies/firms are advertising on it.
-Youtube offers now 720HD and 1080HD
- Internet TV /HDTV capable TVs in the market
- Websites loaded with high quality pics and Ads ( ie flv ads opposed to gif in the past )
- New social Internet services ( Whatsapp, Viber, Facetime etc..  getting popular day by day)
- Online gaming ( Xbox, PS etc.. )

Long story short, everything about internet services being developed and coded is taking into consideration the bandwidth capacity and technology used nowaday in most countries, the reason why we are having hard time to catch up and why people find that 20GB/month is still insufficient for residential use.

Let's be rational, 4Mbps, the maximum bandwidth they are going to provide for some supported line is fairly 3.5mbps over ADSL which is still not enough to stream a 1080HD clip without buffering...

What I am worried about is that if we have 8+ ISPs and 2 network operators how are they going to distribute the national bandwidth ?

1Gbps to MTC , 1Gbps to Alfa and the rest to Ogero, VISP, Terranet, IDM, Cyberia, Sodetel, Lynx, Cedarcom group Mobi/WiSE/Wigo etc.. )... ?

Im saying 1Gbps to MTC because if they have 1.5Million subscribers and only 2000 3G subscriber ( not mentioning the 15,000 Blackberry and Edge service subscriber ) they already have that 1gbps dead.

I am just estimating numbers and the above is only my thoughts... but 10Gbps has only improved our position from 15 years to 7 years behind the technology

Offline

#44 October 9 2011

Ruroken

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

1525895328.png

Sodetel at midnight, how sad.

Offline

#45 October 10 2011

mustapha96

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

sodetel 256  today at 03:00 am

48340040.png

1526047443.png

Offline

#46 October 10 2011

Ruroken

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

I don't know why i have a feeling that ISPs (especially Sodetel) will offer unlimited night traffic yet the speed of 4Mb or 2Mb will drop to 512 from 11pm to 7am (during the unlimited period). It's just a feeling i have especially since we got used to getting screwed in various ways.

Last edited by Ruroken (October 10 2011)

Offline

#47 October 10 2011

Fernand

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Kareem wrote:
Hitman6267 wrote:

@Kareem
I have no knowledge about the subject but I have a question.
According to you the limiting factor is the optical cable. Is that an infrastructure thing or a per ISP thing ? If it's an ISP thing shouldn't they upgrade it as well ? (or adopt another system)

My concern lies with the supposed ability of other ISPs to continue giving the unlimited night option. If others can it's the responsibility of Sodetel to match them.

The ideal solution for me is for them (every one) to cheapen the charge per extra GB. That way we can buy the amount of bandwidth we need. 6000LL/GB is still expensive for a heavy downloader.

Well unfortunately I don't have accurate data as said above about the network topology, but I'd say infrastructure thing from CO to DSLAM. Upgrading everything needs time and effort + money.

I believe our infrastructure was not prepared to handle such mediocre bandwidth.

IMHO, 10Gbps is still below the country needs.

-The number of ADSL subscribers is increasing day by day
-Blackberry has been introduced couple of years ago
-GPRS upgraded to EDGE and now 3G
-Facebook users increasing rapidly ( even my mom who I never thought would sit behind a screen, checks her FB daily ) and now most companies/firms are advertising on it.
-Youtube offers now 720HD and 1080HD
- Internet TV /HDTV capable TVs in the market
- Websites loaded with high quality pics and Ads ( ie flv ads opposed to gif in the past )
- New social Internet services ( Whatsapp, Viber, Facetime etc..  getting popular day by day)
- Online gaming ( Xbox, PS etc.. )

Long story short, everything about internet services being developed and coded is taking into consideration the bandwidth capacity and technology used nowaday in most countries, the reason why we are having hard time to catch up and why people find that 20GB/month is still insufficient for residential use.

Let's be rational, 4Mbps, the maximum bandwidth they are going to provide for some supported line is fairly 3.5mbps over ADSL which is still not enough to stream a 1080HD clip without buffering...

What I am worried about is that if we have 8+ ISPs and 2 network operators how are they going to distribute the national bandwidth ?

1Gbps to MTC , 1Gbps to Alfa and the rest to Ogero, VISP, Terranet, IDM, Cyberia, Sodetel, Lynx, Cedarcom group Mobi/WiSE/Wigo etc.. )... ?

Im saying 1Gbps to MTC because if they have 1.5Million subscribers and only 2000 3G subscriber ( not mentioning the 15,000 Blackberry and Edge service subscriber ) they already have that 1gbps dead.

I am just estimating numbers and the above is only my thoughts... but 10Gbps has only improved our position from 15 years to 7 years behind the technology

Priceless.

Offline

#48 October 11 2011

Mhmd

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Sodetel Increased Qoutas :)

Offline

#49 October 11 2011

Aly

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Really ? what's your quota now ? my speed was upgraded to 4095 Kbps (on Modem) and now reaching 2 -2.5 Mbps but my quota is still 4GB (512k account).

Offline

#50 October 11 2011

A.L

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

i have 256 plan and got upgraded to the 1M plan since  sunday i think
but few minutes ago my quota got upgraded to 6 gb up 6 gb down

Offline

Board footer