LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1501 June 21 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

maulader, that's what i meant

#1502 June 21 2014

vengeance666

I recall it is 2mbit 20gb not 40gb for 20$ at Ogero .. I'm misinformed or what ?

#1503 June 21 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

you are misinformed it's 40gb for 16$, it is 20 gb now for 50$

#1504 June 21 2014

nuclearcat

Always dont forget to count line fee, vat, and other fees. So it becomes not $16 at the end, a bit more ;)

#1505 June 22 2014

Rakrouki

Ogero told me that all plans will be reset to the new basic plan 2mbps 40 gb quota for LL24000+ tax. If you want to change, then like you guys said, you will have to go to any ogero office and put a request, the request will be executed the following month.

#1506 June 22 2014

vengeance666

Rakrouki wrote:

Ogero told me that all plans will be reset to the new basic plan 2mbps 40 gb quota for LL24000+ tax. If you want to change, then like you guys said, you will have to go to any ogero office and put a request, the request will be executed the following month.

But you are "Rakrouki" , you won't be paying more than 24000 LL

#1507 June 22 2014

Johnaudi

vengeance666 wrote:
Rakrouki wrote:

But you are "Rakrouki" , you won't be paying more than 24000 LL

I see what you did there .

Do you think there will be pressure on servers 2M?

#1508 June 22 2014

NuclearVision

There's nothing such as 2m servers, I guess.

#1509 June 22 2014

nuclearcat

There will be pressure in general on BRAS servers of Ogero, but i guess they prepared for that.

#1510 June 22 2014

MrClass

Nothing as a 2M server. You have a network bandwidth divided to ISPs. Each ISP divides its allocated bandwidth to 2M/4M/6-8M/10M plans. In a perfect world, the total bandwidth used by client's plans should be less or equal to the maximum allocated bandwidth owned by the ISP. But, we don't live in such a world; so over resourcing occurs (ISPs hope that they can over resource to get more clients and more money; which is actually possible, but they fail to calculate the maximum combined client bandwidth consumption during peak hours and regular hours; which results to slow Internet connection for everyone)

Over resourcing is doable, but has a limit. Once you hit the limit, the service becomes bad for everyone. If they manage it and monitor it properly, they can actually pull it off with everyone being satisfied.

On a side note, Lebanon engineers its communication infrastructure with the assumption that not alot of people will use that infrastructure, that is why the Kadmous and IMEWE connections will not last us long.

You see, access to communication networks is like stocks. You have supply and demand. When you have alot of supply and not alot of demand, prices go down and everyone gets their service fully (thats what should happen; the Lebanese goverment assumes that is happening and is trying to showthat this is happening). When you have not much supply and alot of demand, prices go up and everyone fights to get his share of the service (that is what is happening, and the Lebanese government likes it this way).

If only better planning occurs, we wouldn't be in such a terrible situation.

My last breathes in this country,
Abed.

#1511 June 22 2014

Raficoo

Guess it will be in August that we'll know for sure if Ogero can handle the new stress(assuming everyone gets 2mbit for July then get their preferred plan on August 1st). I do hope private ISPs get their bandwidth for the new plans, because if Ogero can handle the new stress and private ISPs can't then they're gonna have a bad time keeping customers.

There's a question that wonders in my head, now I know in Lebanon a few private ISPs get their bandwidth from Ogero(this being by fiber optics) or by satellite. but let's take Europe or USA for example, where do private ISPs get their bandwidth from?(if not from state owned telecoms?)

#1512 June 22 2014

user

Raficoo wrote:

There's a question that wonders in my head, now I know in Lebanon a few private ISPs get their bandwidth from Ogero(this being by fiber optics) or by satellite. but let's take Europe or USA for example, where do private ISPs get their bandwidth from?(if not from state owned telecoms?)

There are several classes of ISPs. There are ISPs known as tier 1 ISP, they are concerned with building cables between countries and across oceans and they do not deliver home network, they sell bandwith to governments and to ISPs. And they do not build an internal network for you, they just give you a link to the other networks.

Ogero is a tier 2 ISP, it purchases its bandwith from the Tier 1 international cables and sets up the fine articulate system within its area of influence(in this case lebanon) So the centrals and the network cabling inside the country is for tier 2 to build and manage.

Sodetel is tier 3, basically they just buy the connectivity, they do not contribute to it in any significant way, and then resell what they buy.

#1513 June 22 2014

Johnaudi

Sorry, I mis-phrased that.

I meant 2M plans.

#1514 June 22 2014

ILIA_93

user wrote:
Raficoo wrote:

There are several classes of ISPs. There are ISPs known as tier 1 ISP, they are concerned with building cables between countries and across oceans and they do not deliver home network, they sell bandwith to governments and to ISPs. And they do not build an internal network for you, they just give you a link to the other networks.

Ogero is a tier 2 ISP, it purchases its bandwith from the Tier 1 international cables and sets up the fine articulate system within its area of influence(in this case lebanon) So the centrals and the network cabling inside the country is for tier 2 to build and manage.

Sodetel is tier 3, basically they just buy the connectivity, they do not contribute to it in any significant way, and then resell what they buy.

Excuse me user, but as far as I know, Ogero is far far away from being a tier 2 ISP. That's not if they even get their global IPs from other tier 3 ISPs. They are not connecting multiple tier 3 ISPs together, they are just another tier 3 ISP, but the government's monopoly (where the government owns Ogero) forces other ISPs to get decrees or pay Ogero to get their IPs. I don't know the law of how this works, but I'm sure the "government" doesn't allow anyone to go and connect to an available regional tier 2 ISP and provide the lebanese with 20Mbps connections for 20$; there are some "people" that need to have their villas and prestige. So monopoly is what you get...

#1515 June 22 2014

ILIA_93

Raficoo wrote:

This is how the internet is divided Raficoo:
Capture2.png
Capture-6.png
tier3.png

#1516 June 22 2014

user

Ok, well I am not that into the details...

#1517 June 22 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

so ogero is tier 2+3 isp and the rest private isp's are tier 3

#1518 June 22 2014

Tarek
Banned

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

so ogero is tier 2+3 isp and the rest private isp's are tier 3

According to peering agreements , the above is true

#1519 June 22 2014

NuclearVision

@john it won't matter for small plans, the real question is will there be pressure on the higher plans which would eventually cause bandwidth problems.

#1520 June 23 2014

khatib1

I like how everyone is stating tier 1 definition from networking course where they don't provide end-user internet. AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint are all tier 1 ISPs and provide end-users internet plans.

To become a tier 1 network, you need to peer with EVERY OTHER TIER 1 NETWORK which are listed here . Peering is an interconnection between two networks in which no one pays the other for network traffic. In other words, every party retains the money they take from their customers. So tier 1 doesn't pay any other network for exchange of traffic.

Tier 2 network: A network that peers with some networks (even Tier 1), but still purchases IP transit or pays settlements to reach at least some portion of the Internet.
While
Tier 3 network: A network that solely purchases transit from other networks to participate in the Internet.
Source .

Transit: The network operator pays money (or settlement) to another network for Internet access (or transit).

Notice that in definition of  tier 3, they didn't mention that tier 3 has to purchase from tier 1, 2 or 3. Also they didn't mention who tier 3 networks can sell to as they can sell to OTHER NETWORKS as well as home users and businesses.

From these definitions, Ogero is a tier 3 provider as it only purchase transit from other international ISPs and doesn't peer with any network. Also every private ISP in Lebanon is a tier 3 provider as they only purchase transit from Ogero.

#1521 June 23 2014

kfc

idm were very creative in their new plans !!!

http://www.idm.net.lb/products/adsl.asp

#1522 June 23 2014

NuclearVision

Indeed, I just saw that in a small banner ad and thought I'd share it, but I see no need :)
Edit: I think the 10gb plan should be an 8$ one, It's not logic 30gb->4$ but who knows, it might be needed.

Last edited by NuclearVision (June 23 2014)

#1523 June 23 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

they have fair usage policy while ogero doesn't

#1524 June 23 2014

kfc

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

ouly heavy users would care about that. however with idm, you can get 4 mbps for 19 and 25$ :)

#1525 June 23 2014

mk555

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

the fair usage policy only applies to the unlimited plans.

Board footer