LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1451 June 16 2014

geekevo

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Nuclearcat this is unacceptable this should be put on the limelight for a while. It's like ogero wants  to monopolize the market.

#1452 June 16 2014

Johnaudi

I don't think this will become a cartel though.

#1453 June 17 2014

nuclearcat

Cartel? No, ISPs too divided, and i never seen them cooperating properly.
Unacceptable - yes. As soon as market monopolized... well, it is already monopolized, and politicians using it for their purposes, and country technological power are their last concern. When they need some political gains, you will see some improvements on telecom.
Just when end-users internet monopolized also, you might see worse things. But you are geeks, and some of you understand that. Majority of people just will switch to Ogero. And thats sad.

#1454 June 17 2014

ballad

nuclearcat wrote:

But you are geeks, and some of you understand that. Majority of people just will switch to Ogero. And thats sad.

but ogero is supplying what the geek needs, which is a constant ping 24/7 and a reliable speed.
take for example visp or sodetel, both unreliable for games.

#1455 June 17 2014

sailor

I got this reply from idm today

Thank you for your email.

In answer to your inquiry below, please be informed that we are still preparing the new pricing and packages, and shall notify you as soon as it is completed .

Moreover, we will propose to you the adequate package at the beginning of July.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

#1456 June 17 2014

Johnaudi

I called Cyberia a few minutes ago, the support woman was quite friendly.

She told me that the company will pick the plans, and if you want to change plans you have to go to their center in Hamra, and pay about 8,000L.L for the plan change before the 20th of July, though you're going to live with the given internet for the rest of the month until the plan changes the month after that.

I'm really hoping they will send me up from 2M 20GB (75,000L.L) to 6-8M 60GB (65,000L.L).

I've also been told that they will not switch over unlimited plans, but that's an estimate guess.
The new prices will come up by the end of this week, rather say, beginning of next week.

#1457 June 17 2014

sailor

Finally idm said they will upgrade my current plan 2mb 10gb to 4mb 50gb
This email from them

Please be informed that your plan will be upgraded to 4096K-50Gb for US$ 33 (VAT excluded).

In case you would like to have a lower or higher plan you can submit your request by July in order to effectively change it in August 2014.

Sincerely,

#1458 June 17 2014

GreenM

I just called Cyberia to ask about my upgraded plan. The support guy said my current plan of 1 Mbps - 10 GB will be upgraded to 2 Mbps - 40 GB. I then asked him about the second plan, it's going to be 4 Mbps - 60 GB.

#1459 June 17 2014

kfc

GreenM wrote:

I just called Cyberia to ask about my upgraded plan. The support guy said my current plan of 1 Mbps - 10 GB will be upgraded to 2 Mbps - 40 GB. I then asked him about the second plan, it's going to be 4 Mbps - 60 GB.

chou baddak fioun, they know nothing so far. they are just speculating

#1460 June 17 2014

hussam

nuclearcat wrote:

I am curious if backbone bandwidth will be given to private ISPs, migration process as i heard made easy, so most of users will migrate to Ogero. Most hit will be IDM and Terranet.
On worst scenario you will see bankruptcy and closure of IDM and Terranet.

Unlikely. Doesn't Terranet have their own backbone that does not go through Ogero? I heard both Sodetel and Terranet have some license to not use Ogero's backbone.
IDM will just get cheaper bandwidth from Ogero and distribute it for cheaper prices. The net result will be the same.

nuclearcat wrote:

Majority of people just will switch to Ogero. And thats sad.

Understandable. They are going to offer a package that others are not going to compete with (for whatever reason).
And above all, they are going to make it more accessible.

Last edited by hussam (June 17 2014)

#1461 June 17 2014

sailor

How come idm said the 4096K-50Gb for US$ 33 (VAT excluded).
While the price in the table is 50,000 lb

#1462 June 18 2014

Nemesis-301

is it possible they make a 2mb unlimited plan for ~30$ ?

#1463 June 18 2014

DG

sailor wrote:

How come idm said the 4096K-50Gb for US$ 33 (VAT excluded).
While the price in the table is 50,000 lb

33 USD * 1515 LBP/USD = 49,995 LBP.
Perhaps VAT is also not included in the 50,000 LBP amount.

Last edited by DG (June 18 2014)

#1464 June 18 2014

HotCreep

I called Sodetel to ask them to which plan I'll be switched, the lady said that they still do not know what the plans will be, and asked me to stay posted.

#1465 June 18 2014

user

Nemesis-301 wrote:

is it possible they make a 2mb unlimited plan for ~30$ ?

Well they currently have 1 mbps unlimited for like 25$(sodetel) It is easy to make a 2 mbps plan under similar circumstances after the prices were cut 4 folds. But beware of FUP and bad bad latencies.

#1466 June 18 2014

amkahal

hussam wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

I am curious if backbone bandwidth will be given to private ISPs, migration process as i heard made easy, so most of users will migrate to Ogero. Most hit will be IDM and Terranet.
On worst scenario you will see bankruptcy and closure of IDM and Terranet.

Unlikely. Doesn't Terranet have their own backbone that does not go through Ogero? I heard both Sodetel and Terranet have some license to not use Ogero's backbone.
IDM will just get cheaper bandwidth from Ogero and distribute it for cheaper prices. The net result will be the same.

nuclearcat wrote:

Majority of people just will switch to Ogero. And thats sad.

Understandable. They are going to offer a package that others are not going to compete with (for whatever reason).
And above all, they are going to make it more accessible.

As i know, Terranet have Satellite backbone other than Ogero, they don't have fiber backbone beside Ogero.

#1467 June 18 2014

HotCreep

How easy is it to switch ISPs? did the new decree make it easier? I mean we used to have to cancel then reapply and wait for a month or two. Did that change now?

#1468 June 18 2014

MrClass

What is the current speed of HDSL? Thanks.

#1469 June 18 2014

Johnaudi

Guys, I'm in 2M 20GB cyberia, my traffic run out (again) yesterday. So today I went to google and everything was well, I go to the cyberia website it shows I still have 0 MB left, I'm not sure why, but it tells me 'To continue using the internet you must refill traffic' yet I'm using it perfectly fine right now.

Do you think they switched me to an unlimited plan? A few hours ago it started disconnecting then coming back, but now it's quite fast. (2 Megabits from speedtest, almost constant!)

#1470 June 18 2014

andrew55

@johnaudi wishful thinking i'd say! I highly doubt that. Since when does a Lebanese ISP offer "nice things" to its customers? Has an ISP ever called a customer and said we apologize for our mediocre service and for that we will give you free internet for a month? of course not.. My connection with IDM goes down to barely 1 mbps (from 4) at night and I just have to live with it. Just so they can have more customers and load the system without buying more bandwidth.

#1471 June 19 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

I told ogero to change my plan to the new 65k lira one (60gb,6-8mb) yet they told that they need to come to my house to test if the line can handle it,should'nt they check from the central? I have the 75k plan right now (2mb-20gb)

Last edited by Ahmad Toutounji (June 19 2014)

#1472 June 19 2014

AVOlio

Me too, i went to central Jdeideh to change the plan to the 6-8mbps.
She said she put a notice on my line, to check if it can handle the speed, and told me to come back in 10 days.

#1473 June 19 2014

nosense

AVOlio wrote:

Me too, i went to central Jdeideh to change the plan to the 6-8mbps.
She said she put a notice on my line, to check if it can handle the speed, and told me to come back in 10 days.

10 days? I called cyberia and asked them and he replied in 10 seconds that my line can handle 8 mb

#1474 June 19 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

and they also told me that i can't change the speeds of the next month from now, i need to change them at the begining of the next month to be applied on the month after the next month :S

#1475 June 19 2014

Johnaudi

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

and they also told me that i can't change the speeds of the next month from now, i need to change them at the begining of the next month to be applied on the month after the next month :S

Same here, I think all ISPs are like that.

Board footer