LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5726 March 22 2020

Kareem

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

cached upload ? what ? I guess he has a shared very fast unstable internet connection because his download speed is mediocre at best.

Speedtest.net is known to give you incorrect upload speed if jitter is high or if you're experiencing packet loss.

From his results it looks like he's not on ADSL but cable internet.

#5727 March 22 2020

Kareem

kareem_nasser wrote:
bobo619 wrote:

For all of you considering to post their internet speed consider www.testmy.net instead as it will give you an accurate speed for your international bandwidth.

A speedtest is never accurate for various reasons, the one you shared never gave me an accurate result. Even compared to actual file downloads, the results from the site are way lower most probably because it tests on small files by default.

It's more or less accurate if you select multithread ON and server in Germany.

#5728 March 23 2020

Dan28

vengeance666 wrote:

20 mbit upload? Nah I think that's pretty much cached. Especially comparing it to your previous local speed test, doesn't really make sense.

speedtest

this is in incognito and while connected to vpn, nothing is cached.
i get 1mb download and 2mb upload (seed) on utorrent so i guess its correct.

i used cloudflare dns on my router, and expressvpn.. i always get better speed when on vpn, i think it unlocks the speed limit or something lol.

fast.com

this is another test on fast.com

Last edited by Dan28 (March 23 2020)

#5729 March 23 2020

vengeance666

Dan28 wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:

20 mbit upload? Nah I think that's pretty much cached. Especially comparing it to your previous local speed test, doesn't really make sense.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9169775817.png

this is in incognito and while connected to vpn, nothing is cached.
i get 1mb download and 2mb upload (seed) on utorrent so i guess its correct.

i used cloudflare dns on my router, and expressvpn.. i always get better speed when on vpn, i think it unlocks the speed limit or something lol.

https://i.ibb.co/xXCgHLZ/Screenshot-2.png

this is another test on fast.com

That's impressive. Where do you get your internet from? And how much do you pay monthly ?

#5730 March 23 2020

Dan28

vengeance666 wrote:

That's impressive. Where do you get your internet from? And how much do you pay monthly ?

some shop near my house "cable internet", i pay 50$, i get 6GB resets daily at 12, if i consume all, it drops down to 2mb.
after 12am its unlimited.
the speed is stable from 1am to like 5pm next day... the rest of the day its bad.
after 1am the download speed goes up to 10mbps, i get 1.2mb when downloading games/movies.
i also watch youtube and netflix in 4k on my roku tv with no problems.

#5731 March 24 2020

VincentKeyboard

vengeance666 wrote:
Dan28 wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

speedtest is local , search for other bw tests...

you mean change host like this?

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9161885541.png

I don't see how one can cache uploads. I imagine they bypass that particular server from bandwidth shaping in the upload direction.

#5732 March 24 2020

vengeance666

VincentKeyboard wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:
Dan28 wrote:

I don't see how one can cache uploads. I imagine they bypass that particular server from bandwidth shaping in the upload direction.

No idea but my old cable guy used to do it back in 2012 before getting DSL. The internet was absolute trash but on speed test I would get 100 mbits up and down no natter which server I chose.

#5733 March 24 2020

VincentKeyboard

vengeance666 wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:

No idea but my old cable guy used to do it back in 2012 before getting DSL. The internet was absolute trash but on speed test I would get 100 mbits up and down no natter which server I chose.

Ok, I think it figured out how.
Locally host your own fake speed test server. Route connections from legitimate server nodes to your local server node. Enjoy the high speed local uploads ;)

#5734 March 24 2020

Dan28

VincentKeyboard wrote:

Locally host your own fake speed test server. Route connections from legitimate server nodes to your local server node. Enjoy the high speed local uploads ;)

how about you come over and tell that to my tv streaming 4k content?

#5735 March 24 2020

VincentKeyboard

Dan28 wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

how about you come over and tell that to my tv streaming 4k content?

Is your TV downloading or uploading?

#5736 March 24 2020

Dan28

VincentKeyboard wrote:

if you're talking about the 20mbps upload speed, i get that when testing on speedtest.net, fast.com, uploading files to my server, and seeding content in utorrent, i dont think the cable guy is caching all those stuff or rerouting traffic to a fake server.

#5737 March 25 2020

vengeance666

Dan28 wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

if you're talking about the 20mbps upload speed, i get that when testing on speedtest.net, fast.com, uploading files to my server, and seeding content in utorrent, i dont think the cable guy is caching all those stuff or rerouting traffic to a fake server.

We are saying in general that speedtest upload test can be faked. Your guy must be a shared connection and the results depend on how many users are using the internet at the same time. That's probably why you have degraded quality between 5pm and 1am.

#5738 March 29 2020

Ezio

Hi, I'm a gamer
I moved from ogero to mobi months ago because of unlimited night quota , long story short, mobi ping sucks and non stop disconnect (my ping with ogero was 70 and never disconnected).
Anyways, should I go back to ogero or there is a better private company like cyberia or sodetal
Thanks in advancd

#5739 March 29 2020

AVOlio

Ezio wrote:

Hi, I'm a gamer
I moved from ogero to mobi months ago because of unlimited night quota , long story short, mobi ping sucks and non stop disconnect (my ping with ogero was 70 and never disconnected).
Anyways, should I go back to ogero or there is a better private company like cyberia or sodetal
Thanks in advancd

O G E R O !!

#5740 March 30 2020

Ezio

AVOlio wrote:
Ezio wrote:

Hi, I'm a gamer
Thanks in advancd

O G E R O !!

Is ogero throttling the internet like mobi and other private companies from 5 6 pm to 1 am?

#5741 March 30 2020

vengeance666

Ezio wrote:
AVOlio wrote:
Ezio wrote:

Hi, I'm a gamer
Thanks in advancd

O G E R O !!

Is ogero throttling the internet like mobi and other private companies from 5 6 pm to 1 am?

No they never do that but you don't have unlimited nights and their packages are generally more expensive and less versatile.

Last edited by vengeance666 (March 30 2020)

#5742 March 31 2020

RandomMemory

I am actually losing my mind. My ISP just throttled VPN and discord which I use for work. Everytime I hit more than 3mbit/s on vpn the connection goes down.

#5743 March 31 2020

wollyka

RandomMemory wrote:

I am actually losing my mind. My ISP just throttled VPN and discord which I use for work. Everytime I hit more than 3mbit/s on vpn the connection goes down.

Which ISP?

#5744 April 1 2020

Super Official

Is it even possible to get a telephone box in this country? We've moved in a brand new building in 2014 and have applied for a phone box since then. We have been using our neighbor's phone box exceptionally for these years. The thing is that box is extremely old and in bad shape and have been getting extreme interference especially during the night even though we used an SFTP CAT6-e to help as much as possible, where the stats can drop from >8 mbps max rate when no interference is present to desyncing every few minutes rendering it unusable. We've been talking to ogero for years and every time the say that there are no boxes available. What's your experience with such an issue and what can be done to alleviate it.

#5745 April 2 2020

wollyka

Super Official wrote:

Is it even possible to get a telephone box in this country? We've moved in a brand new building in 2014 and have applied for a phone box since then. We have been using our neighbor's phone box exceptionally for these years. The thing is that box is extremely old and in bad shape and have been getting extreme interference especially during the night even though we used an SFTP CAT6-e to help as much as possible, where the stats can drop from >8 mbps max rate when no interference is present to desyncing every few minutes rendering it unusable. We've been talking to ogero for years and every time the say that there are no boxes available. What's your experience with such an issue and what can be done to alleviate it.

Nothing can be done. I have friends that applied years ago and always the same answer: "No capacity at the centrals".
You need a big wasta
Try to tweet Mr. Kridieh on twitter, it never hurts.

Last edited by wollyka (April 2 2020)

#5746 April 24 2020

Tech Guru

The government extends double the internet speed and consumption for Ogero subscribers. The Council of Ministers extended an additional two months to double the speed of the Internet and the volume of consumption for insured Internet service subscribers on the Ogero network, while also giving them an additional 100 GB per month without any additional costs, until the end of June 2020.

#5747 September 25 2020

rolf

Anyone having trouble right now?

#5748 September 25 2020

anayman_k7

rolf wrote:

Me and all my friends had and still issues with Alfa phone and mobile data

#5749 September 25 2020

rolf

anayman_k7 wrote:
rolf wrote:

Exactly, me too, 4G was gone for long periods of times, then was switching to H, then sometimes the signal was gone altogether, it seems to be stable now, maybe something with the antenna.

Last edited by rolf (September 25 2020)

#5750 September 25 2020

anayman_k7

rolf wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:
rolf wrote:

Exactly, me too, 4G was gone for long periods of times, then was switching to H, then sometimes the signal was gone altogether, it seems to be stable now, maybe something with the antenna.

when the issue is national wise, i dont think it is antenna related, glad it was fixed, but recently the ADSL started to lack in the evenings which was a thing that used to do it in the past, there are a lot of rumors about complete blackout when we spend the last few dollars we have, hopefully a miracle could save us from reaching this point

Board footer