LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5526 May 31 2018

AVOlio

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Danny wrote:

Hey guys , in february my home cyberia account was fullspeed 100gb, i called them to inquire about my lines max speed,they told me its 1mbps ,i checked the ogero website and entered my home number and again it showed that its 1mbps . After learning this i changed my account to 1mbps unlimited .

Last week i checked the ogero website again and my max speed was changed to 5 mbps ,i called cyberia and they told me its 5mbps.

Do u think the ogero website is giving me the right speed and my line speed has actually increased from february till now?

Please i will be grateful if someone replies fast coz its the end on the month i have to change my account type .

Thank u

Call cyberia again and confirm the max speed that your line can reach.
If they guarantee it will reach 5mbps then I don't see why you shouldn't change.

Also note that private isps always say that your line won't handle more than x speed while in fact it does.
They just say it to shut you up.

#5527 June 1 2018

elserge82

AVOlio wrote:
Danny wrote:

Hey guys , in february my home cyberia account was fullspeed 100gb, i called them to inquire about my lines max speed,they told me its 1mbps ,i checked the ogero website and entered my home number and again it showed that its 1mbps . After learning this i changed my account to 1mbps unlimited .

Last week i checked the ogero website again and my max speed was changed to 5 mbps ,i called cyberia and they told me its 5mbps.

Do u think the ogero website is giving me the right speed and my line speed has actually increased from february till now?

Please i will be grateful if someone replies fast coz its the end on the month i have to change my account type .

Thank u

Call cyberia again and confirm the max speed that your line can reach.
If they guarantee it will reach 5mbps then I don't see why you shouldn't change.

Also note that private isps always say that your line won't handle more than x speed while in fact it does.
They just say it to shut you up.

can you please provide the link for checking maximum dsl speed in ogero?

#5528 June 1 2018

AVOlio

#5529 June 2 2018

elserge82

Lol thank you. Thought it was Ookla like test.

#5530 June 3 2018

Danny

I upgraded my account from 1 mbps to open speed then i ran the speed test app , still 0.5 mbps to 0.9 mbps.

I checked with cyberia 2 times before upgrading and i checked on the ogero website and my line is on 5mbps.

Any ideas on what i should do ? Im gonna plug my router on my building’s ground floor phone line box and try it there to see if the problem is from the wiring . Any other ideas ?

Thank you for your post Avolio

Last edited by Danny (June 3 2018)

#5531 June 3 2018

Aly

Danny wrote:

I upgraded my account from 1 mbps to open speed then i ran the speed test app , still 0.5 mbps to 0.9 mbps.

I checked with cyberia 2 times before upgrading and i checked on the ogero website and my line is on 5mbps.

Any ideas on what i should do ? Im gonna plug my router on my building’s ground floor phone line box and try it there to see if the problem is from the wiring . Any other ideas ?

Thank you for your post Avolio

Ogero’s speedtest website is not accurate, I submitted my phone number and it said it can handle 5 Mbps i applied to open speed account and got 14 Mbps, while i checked my sister’s phone number it said it could handle 20 Mbps and when we made the upgrade to open speed on her line the max she could get was 8 Mbps.

Last edited by Aly (June 3 2018)

#5532 June 3 2018

xazbrat

Danny wrote:

Wait a few days for them to fully upgrade your speed---may take a week to 10 days for your new speed to take hold.  If you don't see the promised speed, call them and see what they can do.   I predict cyberia will blame ogero for the speed, but if your line can handle more, you should see some of the increase in speed soon.

#5533 June 4 2018

Danny

Cool ,thanks guys .

Aly mentioned 20 and 8 mbps , it seems my home line is the slowest of all ,all my friends and family have faster adsl , i changed my office connection from mobi to cyberia adsl last month and the speed is 6mbps .

Hopefully it will get faster .

#5534 June 12 2018

new_user

xazbrat wrote:
Danny wrote:

Wait a few days for them to fully upgrade your speed---may take a week to 10 days for your new speed to take hold.  If you don't see the promised speed, call them and see what they can do.   I predict cyberia will blame ogero for the speed, but if your line can handle more, you should see some of the increase in speed soon.

Did you observe the speed change yet? If yes, how long did it take that to happen?

#5535 June 19 2018

xazbrat

All right, FINALLY an update.  I said a few months ago that I had issues with a newly installed elevator inverter giving me issues with my internet.  Basically, every time the elevator moved, my snr would drop precipitously and depending on how long, I would likely lose my connection.  Really gets old after a while.  To make matters worse, the guy who installed it is a complete ass, and the short version, he came out here after FOUR months and installed a filter which was worthless, and that's all I got from him.

Anyhow, taking matters into my own hand, I went downstairs with an electrician and after a while, found my phone line.  There was a little oxidation on there, but nothing major.  Cleaned it up and tested the line back in the apartment, was a little cleaner stat-wise, but same elevator issues.  Hooked the modem directly to line downstairs and that's where there seemed to be some magic.  SNR which for me now is between 10-14 and drops below zero when the elevator runs, was between 22-25.  The attainable rate was over 5 Mbps (ogero says they can get me 3---I have the 2 Mbps unlimited plan).  When the elevator ran, the SNR dropped to between 16 and 18 (that was for 12 floors or max) and more importantly, ZERO errors and the attainable speed was still over 3.5 mb

So anyhow, getting a UTP Cat6 cable installed externally to take place of the line currently running and hoping for similar results from what I experienced in the electric room.  Will update that when that is done (supposedly tomorrow).

Edit:

Update:  Elevator guy after some pushing from a high ranking civil servant put in another filter on the elevator--this one drops snr by 3-4 points for long elevator trips and after a couple of hours, no dcs.   So, if elevator cuts out your internet and you have an inverter installed (most new high rises do now), see if you can get an EMI filter installed.  The right one seemed to help.  Also, electrician called and  will change the cabling tomorrow morning, so hoping for better things tomorrow.

Last edited by xazbrat (June 20 2018)

#5536 June 19 2018

alifawaz99

Hello guys,
Do you know if we could ask OGERO to change our SNR Target?
I just want to decrease it from 10dB to 6dB which is enough for a good speed plus stability.
Do you have an idea if I call 1515 will they help?

#5537 June 20 2018

Danny

Hey guys ,if u read my previous posts you’d learn that i have a full speed cyberia adsl and my line is 5mbps according to cyberia and ogero but my actual max speed at home is 0.9 mbps.

I tried different routers and splitters but nothing worked out.

Now i’m gonna open the land line box in my building’s electricity room and try the router there to see if the issue is from my building’s internal phone copper wire. I opened the box and it turned out a little different from the box at my office which i checked last year.

I uploaded some pics for which i will provide the link below ,i think i know what to do and i marked where im supposed to stick the wires on the uploaded  photos.

Please can u guys check marked part and tell me if i’m right .

https://imgur.com/gallery/CfmDQfg

Thank you

#5538 June 20 2018

xazbrat

Danny wrote:

Hey guys ,if u read my previous posts you’d learn that i have a full speed cyberia adsl and my line is 5mbps according to cyberia and ogero but my actual max speed at home is 0.9 mbps.

I tried different routers and splitters but nothing worked out.

Now i’m gonna open the land line box in my building’s electricity room and try the router there to see if the issue is from my building’s internal phone copper wire. I opened the box and it turned out a little different from the box at my office which i checked last year.

I uploaded some pics for which i will provide the link below ,i think i know what to do and i marked where im supposed to stick the wires on the uploaded  photos.

Please can u guys check marked part and tell me if i’m right .

https://imgur.com/gallery/CfmDQfg

Thank you

Looks right, but to be sure, grab an old phone with you and connect the wires and see if you get a dial tone (also call the phone to make sure that it is in fact, your phone).   This is what the electrician did, and the area around the phones was a jumbled mess---only half of the floors were marked, so it took a while.  Also, if you do something wrong and something happens to the phone, it is better to lose that, than your modem. 

If you still have the same speed down there, call ogero and see if they can do something.  Their responsibility stops at the box, and if the problem is there, maybe they can address it.

GL

#5539 June 20 2018

Danny

Thanks GL

I already soldered 2 pins on a rj11 phone cable to stick them in and i dug out an old phone ,i’m gonna make sure which one is my terminal because my buidling has 6 appatments and there are 10 wired teminals in the box.

I’m praying that the issue is because of the internal cble from the box to my apartment.

#5540 June 20 2018

Danny

Plugged the router straight to the land line box and still less than 0.9 kbps .Wiring from the box to the apparment is ok .

If i call cyberia they’re gonna say its an ogero issue and that i’m far from the central ,i’m in Naccache and the central is in Antelias so i don’t think i’m that far .

From my experience with ogero calling them is a waste of time .

I just wish i never transitioned to dsl at my office , i got used to the 7mbps speed and its making me inpatient when i use my home connection.

I’m in a pickle .

#5541 June 20 2018

semaan

Danny wrote:

Plugged the router straight to the land line box and still less than 0.9 kbps .Wiring from the box to the apparment is ok .

If i call cyberia they’re gonna say its an ogero issue and that i’m far from the central ,i’m in Naccache and the central is in Antelias so i don’t think i’m that far .

I just wish i never transitioned to dsl at my office , i got used to the 7mbps speed and its making me inpatient when i use my home connection.

I’m in a pickle .

You are not far from the central, sure you have an issue.
i'm in mtayleb and from antelias co, so far, and i get 4mb stable

#5542 June 21 2018

Danny

semaan wrote:
Danny wrote:

I’m in a pickle .

You are not far from the central, sure you have an issue.
i'm in mtayleb and from antelias co, so far, and i get 4mb stable

My building is right on the Mtayleb Naccache  valley , i have a staright line of sight to the country club which is less than 1 km away .

My friend in Beit El Shaar has 6mbps speed which is alot higher than Mtayleb . Maybe another central is providing your connections .

My neighbour in the building is suffering from the same issue as well .

I took some pics of the router plugged right into the landline box and screenshots of Ookla,i’m gonna e-mail them to cyberia today with a detailed explanation of my issue and pray they take interest.

#5543 June 21 2018

xazbrat

Another update, stretched the cable from downstairs and ran into another problem----where it connects into the house, the connections are old and corroded so right now temporarily, have a direct connection to cable.   Not as good as downstairs as I am running 10 meters of telephone cable and an extension, but still much much better nonetheless.

Mode:    ADSL_G.dmt    

Downstream    Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):        On    On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):       211    120
Attenuation (0.1 dB):        440    265
Output Power (0.1 dBm):   167    122
Attainable Rate (Kbps):      4551    1184

Path 0         Path 1    
    Downstream    Upstream
Rate (Kbps):    2043    1004

And most importantly,

HEC Errors:    0    0   
OCD Errors:    0    0   
LCD Errors:    0    0   

Bit Errors:    0     0

This after about 15 minutes and I am in the 2mb unlimited plan and 3 mb max in my area--so I am sort of happy.  To compare, this was earlier today also after around 15 minutes
https://imgur.com/a/3QSpulL

#5544 June 21 2018

Danny

You guys won’t believe what happened .

I composed a lengthy email to cyberia because i wouldn’t  be able to explain my issues and my potential fixes by phone.

I provided them with screenshots of speeds and router data ,a photo of me holding the router next to the landline box as evidence so they won’t give me “internal wiring” excuses . At the end of the e-mail i asked them if its possible that they didn’t upgrade my account from 1mbps to 5.

Eureka ! They called me now at 10:00 pm and told me they haven’t switched my line from 1 to 5mbps ! They said my line is really good and it will work out soon .

@semaan ,i guess u were right. I’m 1 km closer than u to Antelias so if ur at 4mbps i’m crossing my fingers for 5 !

#5545 June 22 2018

Danny

It’s done,6mbps on Ookla ! I’m truly happy .

I have a question , Ogero test site clocks my landline at 5mbps but the as i stated above my actual speed is 6mbps.
Shall i plug my router on the landline box again to see if there’s any loss from the wiring? Someone told me that only 5% gets lost in the wites from the ogero box to an appartment. Is it true ? (I guess greed kicked in )

#5546 June 22 2018

xazbrat

Danny wrote:

I have a question , Ogero test site clocks my landline at 5mbps but the as i stated above my actual speed is 6mbps.
Shall i plug my router on the landline box again to see if there’s any loss from the wiring? Someone told me that only 5% gets lost in the wites from the ogero box to an appartment. Is it true ? (I guess greed kicked in )

Don't worry about it now unless you are really curious.  Ogero says I can receive 3 mbps, and that could be true before I changed my connection.  The maximum attainable I had seen was around 2500 kbps and and now that number has more than doubled.  I am sure if I switch to ADSL2 or ADSL 2+, the number would be even higher, but they locked me into G.dmt after all my dcs.  I have family flying in next month so after they leave, I may switch to open speed and see what they can give me.

#5547 June 22 2018

Danny

xazbrat wrote:
Danny wrote:

Don't worry about it now unless you are really curious.  Ogero says I can receive 3 mbps, and that could be true before I changed my connection.  The maximum attainable I had seen was around 2500 kbps and and now that number has more than doubled.  I am sure if I switch to ADSL2 or ADSL 2+, the number would be even higher, but they locked me into G.dmt after all my dcs.  I have family flying in next month so after they leave, I may switch to open speed and see what they can give me.

What’s Adsl 2 and 2+ ? U just get a different modem or something? And if u switch do u have to notify your ISP (for change of preferences on their part) ?

Last edited by Danny (June 22 2018)

#5548 June 23 2018

xazbrat

Danny wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
Danny wrote:

What’s Adsl 2 and 2+ ? U just get a different modem or something? And if u switch do u have to notify your ISP (for change of preferences on their part) ?

Hard to explain--it is just how the frequencies are utilized and the balance between stability and speed.  For more stability, you get less speed and vice versa. If you have access to your modem stats, it will tell you how you are connected.  And you can check out a calculator and what you could potentially be connected at given what you are synched at.  Maybe someone else can explain it better than me too.

DSL Speed Calculator

G,dmt=adsl1 though not spelled out.

#5549 June 23 2018

Danny

xazbrat wrote:
Danny wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

Hard to explain--it is just how the frequencies are utilized and the balance between stability and speed.  For more stability, you get less speed and vice versa. If you have access to your modem stats, it will tell you how you are connected.  And you can check out a calculator and what you could potentially be connected at given what you are synched at.  Maybe someone else can explain it better than me too.

DSL Speed Calculator

G,dmt=adsl1 though not spelled out.

Thanks xazbrat for trying ,i guess i have to research it .

Downstream    Upstream
SNR Margin.     12.3                  11.3 db
Line Atten.         39.6.                25.8 db
Data rate.          7049                1021   kbps
Max rate.           8228                1061 kbps
Power.               19.1                 12.1  dbm
Crc.                   444                   8

I don’t know what any of that means or if they’re good figures ,i’m gonna research them but if any1 sees any issues pls let me know.

#5550 June 23 2018

RandomMemory

Anyone having extremely slow internet past couple of days?

Last edited by RandomMemory (June 23 2018)

Board footer