LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 last month

Guitaret

You get a job offer with a far-away starting date, what would you do?

I am a non-EU citizen living and working in Europe in IT, I am looking forward to changing my employer because of too many red flags. 
I got a work opportunity with a very quick expiry date, with the starting date is the beginning of September 2024.

Their starting date is far because they want me to start working for them according to their clients' calendar high season.

Would would you do? Would you tolerate your current employer for that long? Would you miss out on the better opportunities you might get until September? Or would you sign the contract and then change your mind if you find a better opportunity (and deal with the legal consequences - if any) 
They are doing what is best for their business (pure pragmatic), how can I do what is best for me?

P.S. I need to sign the contract soon

Than you

#2 4 weeks ago

specility

Re: You get a job offer with a far-away starting date, what would you do?

No idea if you signed already or not, but here's my perspective.

You have to weigh your opportunity really.

you mention:

Would you miss out on the better opportunities you might get until September?

But the question is, would you have got better opportunities in these few months?
For example, someone with 10 years of experience and expert skill set will have a job search vastly different to a fresh graduate. You also have to factor in location and such.

No one can predict the future, but that's an important metric worth considering in my opinion.

Or would you sign the contract and then change your mind if you find a better opportunity (and deal with the legal consequences - if any)

Most contracts have that mentioned. Either a minimum duration of employment, or "you can quite with X months notice". Check your contract.

Would you tolerate your current employer for that long?

Depending on the red flags, you know your company best.

how can I do what is best for me?

Read the contract a MILLION times. Make sure it clearly specifies IN WRITING (none of that "boss said XYZ" stuff).
Make sure it clearly specifies your average work week, over time compensation, days off, sick days, PTO, salary, etc etc.
Also, check it for any non compete clauses, stuff like "If you quit, you aren't allowed to work for a competitor for X years" or "you aren't allowed to have a side job/free lance/etc at all" (yes some reputable companies do that).

There is no right and wrong, just make sure you read it well so you know what you're getting into.

#3 3 days ago

Guitaret

@specility thank you so much for the elaborate response, I end up signing the contract.
It is not the best opportunity I am looking for right now, but it is better than my current status quo.

Making career decisions is not easy at all when you are in a foreign country, issuing a new work permit takes 2 months and switching jobs is not smooth at all, and you kinda force yourself to make a decision because life is not perfect.

Hoping for the best “FINGERS CROSSED”

#4 2 days ago

samer
Admin

Sometimes you just need to go for it despite it not being the optimal choice. Who knows, it might be better than you expect. Best of luck Guitaret, and congrats on the new job!

Board footer