LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 16 2023

beezer

Web Hosting

So I'm just running this idea through my head currently, I have a few clients in Lebanon who run their websites through my server in Canada and when credit cards stopped working I started taking money from them through Western Union (from within Lebanon).

Ever since I left we couldn't figure out what to do in terms of payments. It was ridiculous to send it to Canada. I still ran their sites and renewed their domains, but now just given up and said they can send money to a friend in Lebanon (still through Western Union) and he just keeps it there until I go visit. I preferred everyone pay their own dues through CC but what can you do?

Anyways, I figured I'd put this out there if any of you guys are interested in having a side business in Lebanon, I can provide the hosting and domain registration, I am a wholesaler of both. You can set your own prices with your clients and you just send me the fees locally.

For example, my most popular in Lebanon:
3GB storage
Emails (web/IMAP)
SSL
1 TLD (com/org/net/or other ones in the same price range)
For $120/yr (I invoice $100 for the hosting and $20 for the domain)

You have your own admin panel (DirectAdmin) to manage their site and install whatever you want on it. I can also help you get started if you are unsure of what to do. If you need help with web design, I can provide paid WordPress themes for free (this is the simplest way to do it). You select the theme and I'll download it through my subscription and upload it to the server. Then you customize it to the client's needs and charge them for the work.

Of course, needless to say, this is my legitimate side business registered to my name, so no illegal stuff.

If you're interested, send me a PM. If you want to ask general questions, post below.

#2 last month

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge

Re: Web Hosting

I am surprised none of your clients told you that they can pay you by card again.

OMT (Western Union) was the first I believe to issue "internet cards" which is just a prepaid card issued by BLOM bank since ~2020.

You made this post early 2023 that means they could have been paying you online easily without having to physically go to OMT to transfer to your friend in Lebanon.

Demand payment online and if they refuse tell them they can do so using a prepaid card or cancel their service,

#3 last month

nuclearcat

Re: Web Hosting

As @TokMe3HrsToSolveChallen said - payments are no more issue.
Also thats highly competetive area with lot of more affordable offers. Namecheap offers shared hosting from $22.88 /yr to  $58.88/y (fanciest offer) , for example. Sure domain is separate, but namecheap has one of best offers as well.
The only leverage you can have by providing advanced support or additional services that typical shared hosting providers cannot offer. And btw paid wordpress themes for free doesn't sound very legal.
On my experience people avoid such deals, because they are afraid when they put their domain and website to individual hands, he might start twisting their hands and take their website/domain as hostage for additional money, or even if he is trusted, he might get sick, personal issues, and disappear, and good luck recovering everything.
This days more easy to make money as consultant, you give client reputable hosting offers(and you should known market), explain pros/cons of each, do the setup, hand over all access credentials and provide suggestions when they might need to do some maintenance, so you can get paid again. They might agree for yearly fee, so you take care about their website.

Board footer