LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 10

zfreddyzzz

Fiber Modem vs. 4G hotspot

Hello all,

I recently purchased a PS5 and been playing Fifa 24 (FC24).

I currently have an IDM Fiber connection at home and my PS5 is directly connected wirelessly to the main router/modem. The router is located in the room across a wall. The connection is very stable and fast on all my devices.

I noticed that when playing FC24, the connection is very slow and the game lags a lot. So I decided to test using a 4G hotspot. The play was much smoother and no lagging took place.

What is weird is that a football game consumed no more than 10 MB of data over a period of 10-12 minutes. A packet size that can be easily handled using my Fiber connection.

Are there any tweaks I should be aware of to make my experience using the Fiber connection, much smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by zfreddyzzz (January 10)

#2 January 10

rolf

Re: Fiber Modem vs. 4G hotspot

I'm curious to know as well. Fiber should have better latency.
I'd run a few tests on both connections (just ookla speedtest which tests latency and throughput would be a good start). then do them again whilst connected to a VPN.

Also try to connect your PS to the router via Ethernet it is generally better even if Wifi is often good enough.

Last edited by rolf (January 10)

#3 January 11

Ramim91

I had the same issue.

The issue fixed after I connected my PS5 via ethernet cable.

#4 January 11

zfreddyzzz

Thank you Ramim91 and rolf.
But my modem/router is installed in another room. So I am not sure how can I get an ethernet cable to the PS5.
I tried to install a repeater next to it and hard-wired it to that repeater, but the problem persisted.

Can you suggest any other solution?

#5 January 12

Space

zfreddyzzz wrote:

Thank you Ramim91 and rolf.
But my modem/router is installed in another room. So I am not sure how can I get an ethernet cable to the PS5.
I tried to install a repeater next to it and hard-wired it to that repeater, but the problem persisted.

Can you suggest any other solution?

First thing first, try pinging the router through CMD (use a laptop), do so by typing: "ping -t router's Ip" ex: ping -t 192.168.1.1
Check the latency and if there are spikes (1ms -> 1ms -> 100ms -> 1ms). After that connect to the router through ethernet and ping again to check if there are spikes, in case there isn't then it's a wifi issue. 
Since you're far from the router you'll most likely face some because everyone in Lebanon is using 2.4ghz WiFi so there's going to be a lot of interfaces causing the spikes. 5ghz "could" fix it, however, an ethernet cable would be a much better solution.

edit: Congratulations on the ps5 btw!

Last edited by Space (January 12)

#6 January 12

samer
Admin

In some newer apartments, all the RJ45 connectors for phones are centrally connected via ethernet cables. If your building is new, you might be lucky.

Otherwise, get creative in how you get an ethernet cable from one room to the other. Sometimes the easiest way is via a window or balcony.

If all else fails, get your PS5 in the same room as the router and connect it via ethernet.

If latency is important, you need to get rid of your wireless bottleneck!

#7 January 15

zfreddyzzz

Dear all,

Many thanks for your replies and help.

I tried something and it seems that it solved the problem.

As mentioned earlier, I have a Nokia Fiber modem/router from IDM and is installed in my kitchen (hence the idea of bringing the PS5 closer to the main router is difficult to implement). The living room is across the wall from my kitchen.

I have an old Dlink router sitting in my closet, so I connected it using ethernet to the main Nokia router and placed it next to it.
When I connected my PS5 to the Dlink network (also wirelessly), the connection became smooth and can now play a game without any lagging.

Although I can live with this setup, do you think it is time to ask IDM to change my fiber router/modem? Or should I just invest in a good mesh system at home.

Thanks,

Last edited by zfreddyzzz (January 15)

Board footer