LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 7 2023

6jsaade

Help with ISP in Dik El Mehdi

To provide some context, I've been using Connect for two years. However, I recently switched to IDM ADSL Unlimited in Dik El Mehdi, and that's when my problems started. Despite expecting 6mbps according to Ogero's website, I was only getting 2mbps, and I also experienced frequent slowdowns, with speeds dropping to 440kbps.

I unfortunately had to reach out to tech support, and they sent a technician. Strangely, the technician somehow blamed my solar inverter for the issues, and even worse, they marked my case as resolved without actually fixing anything. I also attempted to switch back to Connect, but that went terribly with speeds as low as 0.2mbps despite having full signal bars.

Ultimately, I decided to switch to Ogero, but it has been a confusing process. IDM claims I need to wait until my subscription ends because I'm with GDS, while Ogero insists I need to cancel it. IDM says canceling isn't possible.

Regarding other options, Ogero Fiber is just shy of 1km away from my house, but I'm out of luck. VDSL isn't feasible due to my distance from the Ogero central. WDSL is too expensive, and the same goes for 4G since I need a high data cap. As for local providers, they seem to have a poor reputation on Reddit, with Tamich Net charging a $130 installation fee and $45 per month for "UP TO 12mbps." I'm hesitant to try it without concrete evidence that it works well.

I'm feeling quite desperate at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 September 8 2023

ahk40a

Re: Help with ISP in Dik El Mehdi

Have you tried your dsl connection by connecting your router on a decent lithium battery bank? Sometimes, there are wrong inverters installation that doesn't generate, either pure sinewave, or even the neutral is not a real neutral. But, I wouldn't assume that this is your case.

Try to post the stats of the modem here. Also, try to have only 1 port for the DSL at you place. I used to have the same issue, due to internal wiring in my house. After fixing it, my connection got stable, whereas my neighbors in the same building, same floor, suffer from huge disconnects.

So, connect your mode, to the entry point of the landline. nothing else to be connected to the entry point, not even the loop that goes around the house for other phone outlets. and use a battery bank if that is an option for you.

#3 September 8 2023

6jsaade

Well I did try using the router with a 12v lead acid 70ah battery and well no difference, which was to be expected since this problem was present even before we ever got the inverter as for the wiring its all ready as good as can be, and in anycase im trying to see different options from idm since they've been very kind (sarcasm) till now.

#4 September 16 2023

GeorgeN

6jsaade wrote:

Well I did try using the router with a 12v lead acid 70ah battery and well no difference, which was to be expected since this problem was present even before we ever got the inverter as for the wiring its all ready as good as can be, and in anycase im trying to see different options from idm since they've been very kind (sarcasm) till now.

I'm with IDM (Cyberia) as well. The unlimited packages are trash, they are always heavily throttled and start at half the advertised speed even with 0 usage at the beginning of the month. Switch to an Open Speed package and check how that goes for you, there's no throttling on that, ever.

Board footer