LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 8

rolf

Internet local routing / IX in Lebanon - practical status

Hello,

Does any one have practical and up-to-date information or experience about traffic routing inside Lebanon?

For example, is it possible to have a server at home and connect to it from another location while having low latencies (>100ms) or will the traffic be stupidly routed all the way to France and back?

#2 January 9

DNA

Re: Internet local routing / IX in Lebanon - practical status

rolf wrote:

Hello,

Does any one have practical and up-to-date information or experience about traffic routing inside Lebanon?

For example, is it possible to have a server at home and connect to it from another location while having low latencies (>100ms) or will the traffic be stupidly routed all the way to France and back?

RIP BGP :(

but yea it will get routed locally

#3 January 9

Space

rolf wrote:

Hello,

If you have got a static IP I don't see how it wouldn't work.

#4 January 10

rolf

Space wrote:
rolf wrote:

Hello,

If you have got a static IP I don't see how it wouldn't work.

Because in the past all requests were routed through france even local ones. And this being Lebanon I have low expectations even though there is an IX now (hosted in Mkalless) and major ISPs are supposedly connected.

I guess I'll have to test it which is kind of complicated. I want to go to a coworking space and access my server at home using remote desktop and/or SSH.

If I could get a Lebanese VPN it would make everything easier.

Last edited by rolf (January 10)

#5 February 9

ReadMe

From a test a few years ago with Terranet WDSL (public IP), 30km away from Beirut:
ADSL to WDSL: 28ms
LTE to WDSL: 17ms
WDSL to WDSL (a café): 7ms

Edit: Similar latency with hole punching VPNs like Tailscale.

Last edited by ReadMe (February 9)

#6 February 9

yasamoka

Ogero has IPv6 since 2018. About a couple weeks back, I managed to transition my home network to IPv6 and now every device has a global IP using SLAAC. On fiber.

Hosts are reachable from WAN side (except ICMP requests).

I believe you might be able to do that on DSL as well.

Last edited by yasamoka (February 9)

Board footer