LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 September 25 2011

djunited

Re: Best ROMs for Samsung Galaxy S2

Neoxter wrote:

mine is still xwkf3 what is the best upgrade I can make and how? 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 ? what are the steps I should make.. I don't want to change the rom for now, just update the firmware for starters.

i did not like xwki4 at all. i prefered 2.3.3

download the stock rom you would like to try from here and follow the steps.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr … ?t=1075278

i love cm7. much more stable than miui so far, no force closes yet. cm7 with launcher pro is silky smooth. i always have 650mb of free ram and scoring 5000+ on quadrant standard when i overclock to 1.6ghz, while my bro's senstation with stock rom with all the bloatware scores 2000max.

charged the phone to 100% unplugged it and slept. woke up 4 and a half hours later and the phone is at 99%!!!
currently at 72% battery and it has lasted 12 hours so far with wifi on. this rom is amazing really. ditch the stock rom and enjoy your phone. planning to flash my bro's senstation as well when cm7 is available.

screenshot-1316963160154.png

Last edited by djunited (September 25 2011)

#27 October 4 2011

chosen2k

I'm thinking to switch from Iphone 4 to S2,
Are there any issues i need to be aware of?
most importantly is there an application like installous for android?

#28 October 4 2011

babum

The only issue I find annoying is that battery is not really good, it only lasts me about a day depending on what I do. But other than that it is perfect

#29 October 4 2011

Neoxter

most android apps are free, so you don't worry about this, and android's system is like nokia you put on the .apk file on your phone's sdcard and you install it from there, which means you can get the cracked .apk file from internet and install it on your android and its done.

#30 October 6 2011

djunited

I downloaded set CPU and directly uninstalled it to see what happens as this is the first time I purchase an app.it refunded. Then i purchased it again but was not able to download it.it is always stuck at downloading.in my apps it appears as purchased but does not download.in my Gmail account I have an email saying payment declined due to internal error in market.still in my apps it appears as purchased. I have tried clearing market data and cash, and even full system wipe to no avail. The biggest issue is that after this attempt to purchase set CPU I can no longer download ANY app on the market no matter what I try. Used to work great before i purchased.Market works fine in my brother's htc sensation using the same home wifi. Anyone had this issue before?thanks

#31 October 30 2011

Neoxter

so what kernel do you the suggest is the best for galaxy s2?
pick one from here  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr … ?t=1075278

#32 October 31 2011

mezin

babum wrote:

The only issue I find annoying is that battery is not really good, it only lasts me about a day depending on what I do. But other than that it is perfect

Same thing with iPhone and most smartphones ...

#33 November 11 2011

Metalloy

the more I know the more I get confused  :
so I'm thinking of flashing villainrom 3.0 which is based on the firmware :XXKI3
but I in my phone I flashed the official rom to update it to the following firmware: XWKI8
so the Villainrom is based on a different firmware...is that a problem? is their any compatibility issue?
Is their any Cyanogenmod based on gingerbread 2.3.5?

and on a side note: could I get arabic support for my galaxy s2? how? please state for both cases:
1- if I didnt flash a custom rom
2- if I did

thanks for any help

#34 November 11 2011

djunited

It wont be a problem if you properly wipe data cache delvik and format system before you flash.all you need to do is get the cf root for your firmware to get rooted and access to clockworkmod recovery. I'm running cm7 based on 2.3.7
Personally I would wait for checkrom v3 or omegav5 to come out as they are based on xwkj2 2.3.5

#35 November 12 2011

Metalloy

I stayed yesterday all night until I finally did it. I flashed cm 7.1 stable version and it is working.
thanks djunited for your reply:D but If you can elaborate more on what you mentioned in your last sentence: what are these exactly?

#36 November 12 2011

djunited

They are custom roms based on stock samsung firmware.you can check out their features on thwir threads.the latest nightlies are much more stable than the stable veraion you flashed so flash those instead.

#37 November 13 2011

Metalloy

what i read is the opposite, nightlies are realky unstable and buggy, now i got confused :s arent u facing any lags at any time?

#38 November 13 2011

djunited

only read things related to your phone about nightlies. in the galaxy s2 cm7 thread on xda the devs themselves stated that the nightlies are more stable and that the stable is just their as a bug reference.

no lags for me.phone runs great. will be trying checkrom soon. version 3.1.1 is out.

Last edited by djunited (November 13 2011)

#39 November 18 2011

Metalloy

ive been using cm7 for a week now on my galaxy s2 and here's my quick review:
major battery improvement compared to samsung's touchwiz
faster, and that is coming from a guy that beleived touchwiz is fast!
plenty of customisation possible
fast at startup too:) and the last point is crucisl for the msin disadvantage:
i had to shut off my phone twice and turned in on again and i also had to completly remove the battery twice then put it back nd trn it on again, all of these because the phone just " hanged" or " 3ala2 w sattal" in arabic. that is the only disadvantage i've faced.
so in few last words, i recommend flashing the cm7 to your sgs 2, great speed and battery life, and u can surely live for 1 mn for turning off and on your phone is needed:P

#40 November 18 2011

Ziad87

I am enjoying CM7 too. However I have two main issues. The camera is slow to take pictures and picture quality when shooting videos is not that good and you lose 1080p support. In addition, sometimes the phone is not able to connect to WIFI hot spots. So I have to turn WIFI on/off. Sometimes I even have to delete all the saved networks and add them again.

#41 November 18 2011

djunited

are you both using the latest nightly or still on the "stable" release? never had problems with reboots freezes or wifi. are you over clocking or undervolting?using different kernel? the samsung camera is much better than the cm7 one yes. anyway i am now on checkrom 3.1.1 as i miss stock rom, using speedmod kernel k2-18 test 6 and i must say i'm not going back to cm7. really like this rom, as smooth as cm7 with all the functionality of stock rom.

Last edited by djunited (November 18 2011)

#42 November 18 2011

Ziad87

I'm on the "stable" rom which I now believe is not labeled "stable" anymore. You recommend using the nightlies? By the way, I can just flash a nightly over the stable one without doing anything else like clearing the cache?

And no, I'm not overclocking/undervolting or doing anything of this sort.

#43 November 18 2011

djunited

yes the nightlies are much more stable, use the latest. if you want to be on the safe side follow the thread closely on xda and checkout the reviews members post of the latest nightlies and their experience with them.

to flash a new nightly:

download the latest nightly and place it on your sd card
boot into recovery
wipe cach partition
go to advanced
wipe delvik cache
go back and install zip from sd card
chose zip from sd card and flash it
done

#44 November 18 2011

Metalloy

for the love of god post the link of galaxy s2 cm7 thread on xda, I just cant find it!

#45 November 18 2011

djunited

hahaha. yeah, it's in the Q&A section

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr … ?t=1176411

#46 November 18 2011

Ziad87

Thanks for the support djunited. I just updated to the latest nightly and the phone seems stable so far.

#47 November 18 2011

djunited

no problem. let me know if you need anything

been following this thread now
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr … 07&page=39

soon to be the best rom for sgs2 ;)

Last edited by djunited (November 18 2011)

#48 December 13 2011

Dope14

i have samsung s2 , runining 2.3.5, kernel version : 2.6.35.7-i9100jpkj2, i just want to root it so i can overclock with the stock firmware (rom), is it possible , or rooting means i need a custom rom ?

#49 December 13 2011

djunited

You can root it.no need for custom rom if you don't want to. search for cf root kernel kj2

#50 December 13 2011

Dope14

I was wondering if you can give me a link for the files needed, or something might help me understand the whole process. Lately I am getting real busy at work with no time to read about the subject and when i come back im too sleepy to get all geeky.

Thanks in advance :)

Board footer