LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 12 2012

AVOlio

Watching 3D movies

Hey guys, i really missed this site. 
But finally i got my internet on from Sodetel now, so i can be on the grid like before ..

Anyway, im thinking  (Well definetly) to buy the new Samsung smart TV.. (its LED  3D tv) Series 8 of course,
and of course not cash, "bil te2sit .. "

So i want to ask you guys in the forum, is it possible to after downloading 3D movies online, i can watch them in 3D via USB connected to my TV ?    And also a plus, i have a PS3.. i mean if Via USB is out of the question.

The only thing thats keeping me now from directly going and getting the TV is this issue, the possibility of downloading 3D movies and the ability to watch them, cause if it is possible, then theres nothing stopping me from getting the new TV,  otherwise i have to go buy 3D movies which cost lot of money (to lebanese people that is)

Anyway, if any of you guys have a clue about this.. let us know

#2 March 12 2012

yasamoka

Re: Watching 3D movies

AVOlio, what I think is that the price premium you are paying for a smart TV, might be better spent on a professionally built media PC, which you can tweak to your heart's desire. You would be able to make it your download PC, with huge internal storage, and even capable of gaming, and still well under $1000, which I'm assuming is the price premium for the smart TV over its non-smart TV counterparts.

Tell me what you think.

#3 March 12 2012

AVOlio

Hey man, long time no see 

I also thought about getting a perfect PC instead of the TV. But i dont really need a PC anymore now, as i got back my PS3 and my bro has his PC (which also im thinking of upgrading his VGA), but bottom line is man,
i want me a new 46''  Samsung Smart TV (46" is the smallest that it comes in)   

Its gonna be alot different and aloot better than a perfect PC ! Im gonna turn my room into a 3d cinema theatre man !  And the thing i love more that games/gaming  are movies , so yea ..

Oh and by the way, 46" Samsung smart TV series 8  costs around 2500 $   ;)     i'll try to pay it off bil te2sit..

#4 March 12 2012

CSGeek

You should definitely be able to play the downloaded content on the TV in a way or another. 

You could stream the 3D content from a media server running on your laptop, and have the smart TV connect to your home network.

I guess the USB would be for deploying Smart TV applications to your device.

Check the Samsung forums for the model you're willing to purchase for a lot more info.

#5 March 12 2012

Beej

LNDA offers streaming from ur pc to tv, also if u have a Galaxy SII. Also a ps3 can do that. If you have wireless in ur house you can share everything. Now i know it can stream movies from ur pc/phn/ps3 wireless-ly. But are 3d movies affected? Are they slower since they are at a higher refresh rate? In any case, u have a ps3, and if u build a small HTPC(h67+i3+2gram+ HDD) with bluray rom, you can solve the problem too (if ur not going to download).

#6 March 12 2012

WizaRd

Beej wrote:

LNDA offers streaming from ur pc to tv.

You mean DLNA, right?

#7 March 13 2012

ballad

any c2d pc will be able to let you watch 3D movies seamlessly
usb's are for 500mb dvd-rips, and for the long term, a proper htpc will serve you best
and don't be fooled by the word "smart", those tv's are smart as a calculator

#8 March 13 2012

xazbrat

Hey--3d movies are going to be huge files to download and the quality of each movie will vary.  The better movies are going to be in excess of 3 gig.  However, since you are using your PS3, I would be aware of a recent development called cinavia which affects many players, especially from Sony.  Many new movies you download may be coded with it, but you may not be aware of it.

#9 March 13 2012

Nabs

Guys, you're all missing the main question: AVOlio wants to know if he can watch downloaded 3D content on his Smart TV. The answer is yes, done it!

#10 March 13 2012

chosen2k

I've done it too.
Easiest way was to download, save on external hard disk. Directly plug the hard disk into the tv and play.
(movie was a side by side type of 3d so you need to click on the 3d button in the remote)

However if you want to use your ps3 you need to know that the ps3 only recognizes fat32. And you cant save a file >4gb into a fat32 hard disk. And usually 3d movies are way larger than 4gb.

What you can do if you insist to watch them using your ps3 is to actually convert the movie.
(also tested that using a program called handbrake)

What i'm trying to do now, is rip the 3d movies using multiman on a jailbroken ps3 and get them to run.

BTW: I got the Samsung plasma 51" 3d Tv for 950$

Last edited by chosen2k (March 13 2012)

#11 March 13 2012

AVOlio

Nabs wrote:

Guys, you're all missing the main question: AVOlio wants to know if he can watch downloaded 3D content on his Smart TV. The answer is yes, done it!

Hmm, since you and chosen2k done it, then yes indeed its possible, so now nothing is keeping me from getting the TV

chosen2k wrote:

I've done it too.
Easiest way was to download, save on external hard disk. Directly plug the hard disk into the tv and play.
(movie was a side by side type of 3d so you need to click on the 3d button in the remote)

hmm, im gonna save on a usb , not hard disks.. but its the same right ?
Also, where can i download 3D movies?  i know sites that have 3D ripped movies i guess ,
I already downloaded one "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 3D"  its like 400 MB, when i played ,it played normally on my laptop but like there was 2 images of the movie frame side by side playing at the same time,   would movies like that work on the TV via USB ??

Last edited by AVOlio (March 13 2012)

#12 March 13 2012

chosen2k

AVOlio wrote:

when i played ,it played normally on my laptop but like there was 2 images of the movie frame side by side playing at the same time,   would movies like that work on the TV via USB ??

Exactly, the type of movie I tested.
Step 1: PLay side by side movie on 3d tv
Step 2: Locate and click on 3d button found on remote
Step 3: Tv will combine the two pictures
Step 4: ?????
Step 5: Profit

#13 March 13 2012

The-MMMs

this has really got me considering one now

wow.

@Chosen2k: where did you get that epic deal from !?

#14 March 13 2012

chosen2k

Agha sarkissian just before dawra. There was a petite girl there called stephanie if I remember correctly told her this is the deal you search for the biggest 3d tv that has the lowest price, bearing in mind that your competitors prices are 1300$ for a 42". So if you can get more inches + a lower price you win. Well she delivered .

#15 March 14 2012

Prince WJ

I bought 9 month ago samsung plazma 51" PS51D490, it is an amazing tv for price below 1K, you can download torrent 3d movies , put them on an external harddisk and play them directly on your tv,(side by side, convert), but usualy the quality is not waow, because the high quality 3d movie needs about 50GB for 2 hours playing.
Recently Im buying bluray 3d copy movies (not original) that you can play on your ps3 to get the best result

#16 March 15 2012

AVOlio

chosen2k wrote:

Hmm... whats step 4 supposed to mean man ?

And if this method/type of 3D movies to download and watch in 3D works, then i have access to dozens of very big and successful 3D movies that i can download and watch ! And all of them are like 800 MB max, but in 720p.

#17 March 21 2012

T-Rex

Hi all!
Has anyone tested the 47LW cinema 3D from LG?
It doesn't cause headaches, requires no batteries and the glasses are light.

<admin edit: post edited. Please review the writing guidelines>

#18 March 21 2012

Prince WJ

T-Rex wrote:

Hi all!
Has anyone tested the 47LW cinema 3D from LG?
It doesn't cause headaches, requires no batteries and the glasses are light.

<admin edit: post edited. Please review the writing guidelines>

These are passive glasses which are better for eyes and they are cheaper than the active shutter glasses

#19 March 21 2012

Prince WJ

AVOlio wrote:
chosen2k wrote:

Hmm... whats step 4 supposed to mean man ?

And if this method/type of 3D movies to download and watch in 3D works, then i have access to dozens of very big and successful 3D movies that i can download and watch ! And all of them are like 800 MB max, but in 720p.

Step 4: it means nothing, just to say catch it? or got it?

Sure you can download such kind of movies but keep in mind that the effect of 3D requires high quality (HD) of image, so the higher the quality the better the 3D effect. you might need to download 3 to 5 GB movie file to have a 30 minutes high quality

#20 March 24 2012

chosen2k

A small guide to 3d movies:
1- File types
2- Formats
3- Layouts
4- Tools

http://zhost.tk/u/sm/3d_guide.pdf

Board footer