LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 27 2011

rtp

Drupal, Programming

Am currently working as a Php Zend Developer and the company I work at most probably will decide to go for Drupal since its more business friendly ^_^...

My problem is that I see Drupal as a non programming job... I find it silly to just click on a button to build a photogallery  , I do enjoy getting my hands dirty and building things...

My main question is Drupal really as bad as I imagine it or will it be a good challenge?

#2 December 27 2011

rolf

Re: Drupal, Programming

You might have to program a plugin. I've heard it takes time to get going on that, plus on template programming. Drupal has a fairly long list of hook functions.

#3 December 27 2011

BashLogic

drupal as many others is intended for developers to be able to concentrate on the big picture with a feasable maintenance lifecycle instead of working at the micro level and ending up with legacy code. if it is the little things that you are keen about, look away from drupal. if it is the big picture, embrase it along with other alternatives that are similar to it.

#4 December 28 2011

Joe

My main question is Drupal really as bad as I imagine it or will it be a good challenge?

It depends on what it is you consider challenging. If your challenge is "write code that has to be robust, flexible and maintainable, learn the Art of programming and becoming one with the Algorithm", then Drupal is probably not for you and you're better off quitting and looking for another job (try Google or NASA).

On the other hand, if your "challenge" is "delivering a relevant website to the client as fast as possible, being flexible with the requirements and creating a partnership with them" then believe you me, you'll have a lot of work on your hands.

#5 December 30 2011

peekaie

It's not as easy as you imagine.
Also, why rewrite code for a cms, module or widget if it has been done already. The code from drupal and its modules has been under heavy testing and development for years. You'll end up with a more robust website if you use the code from drupal and it's modules rather than using your own code...
And in case you need something that's not already available (which is not likely to happen), you can write your own module...

Last edited by peekaie (December 30 2011)

#6 December 30 2011

rtp

peekaie wrote:

It's not as easy as you imagine.
Also, why rewrite code for a cms, module or widget if it has been done already. The code from drupal and its modules has been under heavy testing and development for years. You'll end up with a more robust website if you use the code from drupal and it's modules rather than using your own code...
And in case you need something that's not already available (which is not likely to happen), you can write your own module...

i know,  i know... For free lancing i find drupal to be an angel but for everyday work its more like a devil ^_^, taking away the fun of programming and writing things urself, thinking and solving problems...

Board footer