LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 May 25 2005

Ragnar78

Re: so all the fuss for nothing?

I'm actually for keeping Windows as OS, but get all the free software on it...like Open Office and stuff...The problem with linux is that customizations are made upon the taste of a few users in the community, and even though it might be helpfull, its not to the taste of everyone.

I installed many linux versions, gentoo, archlinux, fedora...i didn't see the point of it...
Linux should only be installed for who have experience or have time to understand it. Windows should be left for the rest of us.

Ill give you a small example: Altran is a french consulting company that is trying to install a knowledge management system based on open source...now they got there Hardware form dell supposedly compatible with linux, but everytime there is a problem and engineers must customize drivers for the hardware parts...normal people cant do this...
Linux is only for those who needs it where windows is useless.

#27 May 25 2005

megalomania

... but everytime there is a problem and engineers must customize drivers for the hardware parts...normal people cant do this...

did everyone start as windows experts?

you've been working with windows since the day you started using computers, you know it by heart now, how can you expect to understand a whole new system just by taking control of the keyboard and mouse?

Let me see you fix a macintosh. Same problem (unless you're an old macintosh user.)

#28 May 25 2005

rico

that's true and i like it :>

#29 May 25 2005

rolf

:shock:   :?  :)
Crazy steve ballmer.

#30 May 25 2005

rico

hehe yea he is ! well a lil bit more than crazy !  :lol:

#31 May 25 2005

rico

HE's an IDIOT !

#32 May 25 2005

rolf

HE's an IDIOT !

Hey, he's the CEO of microsoft, plus he's having the time of his life acting like a clown in front of thousands of people.

#33 May 25 2005

Ragnar78

Nope and not everyone wants to be an expert...and even know i know shit about windows...

And i'm more than sure i cant make drivers for hardware.

And as for microsoft directors...well we can make fun of them, but they have the billions in their bank account..

#34 May 27 2005

mezin

"There's Windows, and there's Linux, choose which one you want."

the choice is your you take it ... don't take the choice for others

#35 May 29 2005

darkstar

He does raise a worthy point though: some people are lured into installing linux by all the smooth talk and the hype, only to end up loosing their precious time.
I often see people on the net praising linux, making it sound as if it is superior to Windows. Personally, I always try to mention both the positive and negative aspects of the system when I talk about it.

I dont think linux is a competitor to windows yet, it's more of a complement.
Some users obstinately try to defend linux as an altrenative to windows by using lame arguments such as "you're not affected by viruses", and "you wont get spyware". Just get Windows and install an antivirus and antispyware.

I totally agree!

Board footer