LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 27 2005

toxic

Questions about ram

i had 2 256mb ddr ram 400

now i bought 2 256ddr ram but 330  so do u think that would affect that much i mean is there a big deffernce between the 2

i have p4 3.0 ghz btw

#2 May 27 2005

TSOG

Re: Questions about ram

256 is not much, so you will not realize the difference. If the case was with something like 2 GB of RAM, then you would see the difference. Peace out!

#3 May 28 2005

rolf

you may be able to overclock these to 400 ddr.
I dont think you'll feel a difference between 333 and 400

#4 May 28 2005

karim soubra

take care of the ram channels or they will run at the slowest module speed

#5 May 28 2005

toxic

hey karim listen can u just explian wat u saaid about ram channels cuz i dont know what that means also i have 2x256 300
2x256 400
1 gb total

also can u tell me how much ti cost to make them 400

#6 May 28 2005

rolf

You need a dual channel compatible board first. What board do you have?

for prices check www.pcandparts.com

#7 May 28 2005

toxic

it intel original ok 3.0ghz 4 ram sockets

#8 May 28 2005

karim soubra

well on the mother board you have 4 channels if it is dual you should check the manual of the board for example asus places the dual channel as slot 1 and slot 3 the second dual channel will be slot 2 and 4 intel usually places the dual channel as slot 1 and 2  and so on better read the manual
also it is preferebale to place identical module on the same dual channel to get the best performance
ram are not upgradble and these days are cheap so auction them and buy new one although i don't recommend unless you plan to buy ddr2 to replace them

#9 May 29 2005

toxic

ok guys look i rearranged my rams so i have 4 places it sais there is  2 dual channel 0
                    and      2 dual channel  1
which  channel should i put 400 ddram in the 0 or the 1  also i have interl original  D865PERL

#10 May 29 2005

karim soubra

put the 2 identical ram modules on the first 2 slots

#11 December 22 2005

LebaneseChiphead

What U r talking about is called "Bank Inteleave" That mean when you data that U wrote : For Example you write 128 bits of data, you have two Memory Dimms Dimm0 and Dimm1, Data interleave Or Bank Interleave can be called both Names, will let you write the memory to ONE single Address to Dimm0 but the data will provided tothat Address as Follows: The 1st 64 bit goes to DIMM0 and the second 64bit chunck of the data goes to Dimm1, So we used one address but we interleaved the data to two Dimms without using another address on Dimm1.
I Hope that will Clear some of the issues on interkleaving and why we have to use the Dimms in Pair in two channels.

#12 December 22 2005

rolf

it intel original ok 3.0ghz 4 ram sockets

For god's sake drop the "original" after intel, every time I hear that I think my hair stands on my head. Ma fi "intel te2lid".  :evil:

(dont be upset... I get angry at such stupid things)

#13 December 22 2005

rolf

What U r talking about is called "Bank Inteleave" That mean when you data that U wrote : For Example you write 128 bits of data, you have two Memory Dimms Dimm0 and Dimm1, Data interleave Or Bank Interleave can be called both Names, will let you write the memory to ONE single Address to Dimm0 but the data will provided tothat Address as Follows: The 1st 64 bit goes to DIMM0 and the second 64bit chunck of the data goes to Dimm1, So we used one address but we interleaved the data to two Dimms without using another address on Dimm1.
I Hope that will Clear some of the issues on interkleaving and why we have to use the Dimms in Pair in two channels.

The same principle as hard disk raid 0.

#14 December 23 2005

darkstar

The same principle as hard disk raid 0.

Yep thats true..

#15 December 28 2005

LebaneseChiphead

I think it might be a little different, Raid 0 is striping you need two hard drive and you write across both , when you doing SEQUENTIAL DDATA READS it will be very Fast because U are reading from both Drives, but if U r Doing RANDOM DATA READS potentialy that will be slower , postion of the heads on the drive and the data location will cause it to be Slower than SEQUENTIAL. Meanwhile Bank Interleave Will cover the Bank ACTIVATE, In Memory you can not write to a bank that is not active so you have to activate the bank first, now while U are reading from one bank U can be ACTIVATING another bank on the second Dimm.
Chips

#16 February 10 2006

hisham88

P.S  DDR2 are best over clockable on asus boards !!    ( extra information ) lol

#17 February 15 2006

LebaneseChiphead

Would you please elborate more on what made U say that?
Thanks
Chips IMR

Board footer