LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 12 2011

patrick

Web designers

How much do you guys charge to make a whole professional website from zero?

#2 September 13 2011

Tigerheart.Hackers

Re: Web designers

Are we talking design only or fully developed? And what kind of website are we talking? Static, dynamic?

#3 September 13 2011

arithma

Freelancing projects (complete package), you'd find someone to do it for around $2000. If you want less, you'd go for a developer who will also design the website as well which would average around $1500.

You will be paying $3000 at least at a design firm. Usually it's more.

We're talking a couple of dynamic sections (gallery, latest news) and a sprinkle of pages (Contact, home, about us).

Those are of course ballpark figures, and based on my personal experience alone (no survey or anything).

#4 September 13 2011

rolf

What is a "professional website"?
Arithma's figures are good, but I would say even cheaper is possible. When I started freelancing we'd do a website for $800 (news, a bunch of contact pages, info page...) because we (designer and developer) were a bit desperate to fill our portfolios. But now it would be $1400 - including designer's work, that is - revenue being split 50/50 between the designer and the developer.
But $2000 is a good price, I'd say, to keep everyone happy. That is the kind of money freelancers would need to have a sustainable and satisfying income.

#5 September 13 2011

Joe

The short answer is: It completely depends on what you are looking for. 2-3 static pages is one thing, a whole web custom-made e-commerce boutique is something completely different.

Pricing should be defined on a basis of how much time is spent working on the website.

Also I will add that the prices mentionned in the thread may be a little too high. We live in the world of Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. A "couple of dynamic sections and sprinkle of static pages" can be done in a matter of a few days. 10-15 days working full-time actually. That means half a month's worth of salary.

Last time I checked, here's an approximation of salaries in Lebanon:
- Senior developer: 3500 - 5000 USD.
- Starting developer: 800 - 1200 USD.
- Starting developer (with an engineering degre): 1000 - 1500 USD.
- Engineering + MBA working in finance (2-3 years experience): 2000 - 3000 USD.

I have no official evidence to back up my numbers, if not the people I know working in the field, the average salary of people from my old college, and various offers I have been getting since I graduated.

The point is, if someone is charging you 3000 USD for half a month's worth of work, you're definitely getting ripped off. There are plenty of more people willing to do this for 600 - 800 USD.

@arithma and rolf: No offense meant whatsoever; if you manage to find clients at these rates, I'm honestly happy for you. I'm merely pointing out that competition is a lot cheaper.

#6 September 13 2011

Kassem

rahmu wrote:

- Senior developer: 3500 - 5000 USD.
- Starting developer: 800 - 1200 USD.

You are way off with those numbers. Fresh graduates start at 600 - 800 USD. A senior developer (2-3 years experience) might reach the 1500 USD mark if he's good enough. Software engineers get paid something between 1500 and 2000 USD. I have no idea about the salaries of Software architects and higher ranking positions.

#7 September 13 2011

Joe

@Kassem: By "senior" I meant 10-15 years of experience. The 2-3 year mark is hardly seniority at all.

#8 September 13 2011

jsaade

rahmu wrote:

@Kassem: By "senior" I meant 10-15 years of experience. The 2-3 year mark is hardly seniority at all.

In lebanon, it is hard to see a developer as senior for that period of time.
in 10- 15 years it will be more in the consultancy/managerial side of the company.
as if you stay as a senior developer you will reach the 3.5k as a maximum.

Board footer