LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 6 2011

ibxoful

How to remove the beep sound from your ups

If you like to wake up on 2am without waking your brothers,etc.. or you just hate the sound then your in the right place.
First you should do the following :
1. Turn off your UPS. Make sure no LEDs are turned on.
2. Turn off the power switch connected to it and remove all outgoing power switches from back of the UPS.
3. Take your UPS to a plain surface and make sure it is turned off then open it up.
4. Look for the speaker now. They are easy to find. You must have seen such speakers on computer motherboards. Often it’s a little black cylinder about 1/3″ in diameter with a small hole in the top
motherboard_ups_speaker.gif
to make sure you have the speaker and not some component of the ups, turn the ups on and check the source of the sound.
I for one removed it in a very brutal way  using a screw driver, you can also lower the volume of the speaker by taping (using a tape) the hole of the speaker
do this at your own risk. Don’t blame me if anything goes wrong

Last edited by ibxoful (September 6 2011)

#2 September 6 2011

ILIA_93

Re: How to remove the beep sound from your ups

Is there a way you can make it beep, just when it's on low power, i mean fast beeps. not on all the backup, just when the battery is about to get milked at the end.

#3 September 6 2011

ibxoful

ILIA_93 wrote:

Is there a way you can make it beep, just when it's on low power, i mean fast beeps. not on all the backup, just when the battery is about to get milked at the end.

well its not possible for normal peeps to do, including me, you can lower the volume as mentioned in my post above.

#4 September 6 2011

shekvaL

yes i removed the speaker from my backup, now you can live quietly

#5 September 6 2011

Leonedes

ibxoful wrote:

I for one removed it in a very brutal way

Haha I deeply understand where that comes from ! 

This is truly a great tutorial, its one of these things everyone wants to do, yet no one seems to ! Thanks alot

Last edited by Leonedes (September 6 2011)

#6 September 6 2011

shant

have decreased volume long ago with cotton in the hole and electric tape,much more effective with cotton

#7 September 7 2011

Flakk

If you plan on removing it completely i recommend de-soldering it, you might want it back in the future.

Last edited by Flakk (September 7 2011)

#8 September 8 2011

Leonedes

Well I tried removing it directly, it was easily removable since it was attached to the ups' board by two very small pins, I think it can be attached again to work but as you may have noticed I have no experience with electronics at all. My question is, I got electrocuted by accident while I turned the ups back on, yes I stupidly tried touching the board, is that normal for the ups or does it have something to do with the fact that I removed the beeper ?

#9 September 8 2011

ibxoful

Leonedes wrote:

Well I tried removing it directly, it was easily removable since it was attached to the ups' board by two very small pins, I think it can be attached again to work but as you may have noticed I have no experience with electronics at all. My question is, I got electrocuted by accident while I turned the ups back on, yes I stupidly tried touching the board, is that normal for the ups or does it have something to do with the fact that I removed the beeper ?

oO lol that ain't normal, when your done close the lid by the screws and never touch the board!

Last edited by ibxoful (September 8 2011)

#10 September 8 2011

yasamoka

Leonedes wrote:

Akh man be careful! I hope you only got electrocuted by a low-voltage DC current. I've tried getting electrocuted by 220V, and let me tell you, it's not pleasing at all. I looked behind me to see who was shaking me. Thank goodness it was only shaking, and a little red fingertip. If you have no experience with electronics, wear protective gloves, or don't work with "naked" electronics. You may have shorted the board too. You're a very lucky man.

#11 September 8 2011

Leonedes

Well, I think it was only a 12V DC , I actually had the curiosity to check it out directly after getting electrocuted, I have a very small almost miniature Voltmeter that is used to measure extremly low voltages, mainly AA batteries, anyway I measured the place I got electrocuted, at first it gave 12V , then the screen suddenly gave 12,345,6 V and then it exploded in my HAND !  There were a few sparks then smoke came out of it - Very weird indeed, but anyway, I put back the lid and touched the cover everywhere without getting electrocuted to make sure it wont cause any problems (yes I had the heart )

Bas in any case, the board shouldn't electrocute anyone usually right ? I was curious cause laptop and desktop boards don't do that usually ...

#12 September 8 2011

ibxoful

@leo wear slippers and you can touch everything (but you shouldn't unless your a cyborg who feeds on energy)
you shouldn't be in contact with the ground (barefoot) when handling electronics, even touching your pc case

Last edited by ibxoful (September 8 2011)

#13 September 9 2011

Bassem

My UPS was considerate enough to stop beeping, on its own, a few months ago. I guess it got tired of beeping every day several times a day.
When I get a new UPS I'll definitely follow your instructions, the quiet is nice.

#14 September 9 2011

TPR0

Just attach a small magnet on the speaker, it will be muted, (don't know if it can brick the speaker :/)

#15 September 9 2011

m.sabra

TPR0 wrote:

Just attach a small magnet on the speaker, it will be muted, (don't know if it can brick the speaker :/)

that's because most of speakers are made of a small magnet with a piece of copper rolled arround it,and another piece of copper rolled around the edge,both piece of copper attached to each other,and a sealing paper,so putting a magnet on the top of the speaker may ruin the magnetic field of the speaker and  make it stop.

#16 September 9 2011

TPR0

m.sabra wrote:
TPR0 wrote:

that's because most of speakers are made of a small magnet with a piece of copper rolled arround it,and another piece of copper rolled around the edge,both piece of copper attached to each other,and a sealing paper,so putting a magnet on the top of the speaker may ruin the magnetic field of the speaker and  make it stop.

Yes, it may damage the cone (paper). Well, i think its an effective solution...

#17 September 18 2011

omarmasri

Well What I did is that I got a pin and -In a Very Crazy and mad way- pecked into the hole of the speaker which decreased the sound dramatically so if the tv is on or any sound is on I won't hear it (I use the UPS for the Ps3) And thank god I didn't get electrocuted THANKS MAN

#18 August 7 2021

infiniteloop

Hello
I tried to fill some tiny 3M pieces in the buzzer hole thanks to a toothpick, then I sticked a round 3M patch on top, unfortunately the buzzer is still like 50% loud which is enough to bother me when sleeping. I have found this video as I don't want to mess up with the board, do you think it will work without electric shock if UPS unplugged from wall but battery still plugged? I will use a plier to remove the cap then a wooden toothpick to remove the metallic disc
https://youtu.be/cNZ-w5XYVZ8

#19 August 21 2021

anyaddress2014

simply remove the buzzer from the board and solder to wire and take them out of ups box,put a single line switch on any wire and then you can activate and deactivate buzzer any time
note: of course be sure that ups is disconnected from electricity also remove positive wire from battery for safety

Last edited by anyaddress2014 (August 21 2021)

#20 August 23 2021

BahaaAY

check if you can mute it by tapping the power button once (it should be mentioned in the manual), it will start beeping when the battery is low.

Board footer