LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 18 2005

rolf

Broadband: IDM vs Cyberia ?

Which is better for "broadband"? idm or cyberia? Terranet is not an option, I am switching from terranet (too slow on peak hours) to either IDM or Cyberia. It doesnt cost a penny by the way.

IDM have a better internet backbone connection, but I have called cyberia and they said they offered 8KB/s (64k) upload on the 128, which is more that 4 times the upload of the 2 other companies. Is this true? I dont trust the support guy 100% for what he said...

Any advice?

#2 April 19 2005

toxic

Re: Broadband: IDM vs Cyberia ?

look rolf im not sure  but i have cyberia 128k  and on bittorrent if the file is still new and it going at full speed i get like download:15kb/s upload:1-3kb/s

but maybe the upload is slow here becuase im downloading but thats what i know about cyberia

#3 April 19 2005

rolf

thanks

#4 April 19 2005

rolf

15 KB on bittorrent is very good. that's the maximum you can get on 128

#5 April 19 2005

toxic

ya i know thats wats good about bittorrent anynew file u should get it using that prog   cool but wats weird how come gds havent messed it uyp like kazaa and rest

#6 April 19 2005

rolf

maybe they forgot :)

#7 May 3 2005

rolf

I did the switch from terranet to IDM. It is way better.

#8 May 3 2005

Charly

rolf, how much do u pay / month? and do u pay phone bills? (the 4 number thingy by ojero)

#9 May 4 2005

rolf

I currently have IDM broadband 256. The installation supposedly cost 75$ (they charged me 100 dont ask why!) and then it's 100$ per month.
It's unlimited internet, no phone bill whatsoever.
If it's too expensive you can go with the 128 at 50$ / month

#10 May 10 2005

darkstar

Wow not bad but u do have a bandwidth limit right? And what are the equipment needed for the installation?
have you tried the connection with online games ?

Thx

#11 May 10 2005

rolf

No, I havent tried online games.

The equipment is leased by the ISP, you just pay a one-time 75$ installation fee and 100$/month, and they'll  lend you the equipment.
Limitations are (as far as I know):
-private IP
-simultaneous connections limited to 10 for the 256k
-I usually dont get more that 4KBytes upload speed
-you usually dont get full speed with P2P. In fact you usually get about half speed. You do get full speed during the night and off-peak periods. You can get full speed for p2p all the time by using http-tunnel (10$/month)
-VPN is blocked

You mean download limit of fair access policy? No nothing of that!

#12 May 10 2005

darkstar

Yeah i meant like 5GB per month or something like that..Why is vpn blocked ?(have u tried asking them)

#13 May 10 2005

rolf

When I was with terranet I called them and told them that I could not open a VPN connection, they just said GDS (the wireless network provider) had blocked VPN.
Mabye it's to avoid usage of this residential connection by businesses, and to force them to buy business connections which are way more expensive.

Board footer