LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 15 2011

Arcache

Hidden links and SEO

lately i was reading about search engines and the way they try to evaluate a website to see if it includes hidden text or links. the robots, like googlebot, look for anything that's not easily viewable by visitors.

does anyone know how those crawlers functions ? or a tricky way to include hidden links without violating the SEO guidlines ?

Anarchy rules  !!

#2 July 16 2011

jsaade

Re: Hidden links and SEO

even divs with style as hidden are actually viewable by bots.
check seo-browser.com

#3 July 16 2011

Arcache

ZeRaW wrote:

even divs with style as hidden are actually viewable by bots.

mmm true, also they detect font size and similarity between font color and background color. probably, to detect those 3 tricks, they must be using those 2 methods:
1- the robot convert the website to an image format then he analyze every "pixel" with comparison to the codes.
2- the smaller the font size, the weaker the link rank. but if a font size reach the value 1px or zero, your site may be removed from the Google index.

so somewhere i tried the style="cursor:text" but i'm confused how googlebot consider this code :s
any hints ?

#4 July 16 2011

samer
Admin

An easier approach would be to crawl the page as a normal user-agent and compare it to whatever you got when you crawled it as googlebot (or slurp or whatever).

If the website is relevant enough - and that's when you want when exchanging links - there's no reason to hide the link.

#5 August 9 2011

wis3384

there is 2 ways to see what GoogleBot is looking when it crawls your site.

1- http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … en&strip=1
2- in Google Webmaster tools there is a feature called "Fetch As Google Bot"

and fyi after the Cassandra algo update all these tricks hidden text and hidden links wont work anymore ... u just get penalized :) hope this helped

Board footer