LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 3 2011

FuSe

Learn Graphic Design?

Here we go, as some of you know, I'm a Computer Scientist, but I LOVE Graphic Design!
So my question is for serious/advanced graphic designers only please.

With Graphic Design I don't mean web design, I mean some real kick a$$ Graphic Design, like creating a Signature from scratch or my own image for an Anime character like Naruto with awesome effects and more.

I'm checking some tutorials on the web, but most of them lack in steps... first of all I guess I'm going to get a good PhotoShop Manual and get familiar with tools.
Second step, here's my question, I have the will and I have the time and I work hard! what's next? is there a good eBook out there to learn Graphic Design? I was thinking to learn Graphic Design at: Maahad Mira (In Hamra), but my university is my main focus now... so can't do that.

If you can point me in the right way, with the right guide, and I'll get going.

Thanks in advance !!

#2 August 4 2011

enthralled

Re: Learn Graphic Design?

Hi,
I'm a graphic Design graduate. I've been working in graphics for 3 years.
You say, your main focus right now is your university. Graphic Design is a profession, not a hobby.
Seems to me, you're more after drawing and art... I suggest, first step is practice, by hand. Forget about photoshop, for now at least :)

Last edited by enthralled (August 4 2011)

#3 August 4 2011

FuSe

Thank for the reply enthralled, and yes you're right I'm more after drawing and art for Graphic Design.
But that doesn't mean that I can't take Graphic Design as a side profession or let me say "hobby".
May I ask where did you study Graphic Design? and I'll start with pencil drawing like you said, is their any particular guide I should follow? any website, manual to help me get started?

Last edited by FuSe (August 4 2011)

#4 August 4 2011

Bassem

Hey Fuse, I highly recommend you join www.deviantart.com it's a community of artists and there are many resources to help you get started. Whether you want to get into illustration, or graphic design.

Here are some resources from there:
Hands
The human body
Facial expressions

Bigass list of tutorials for drawing & illustration

Have fun. If you join, hit me up

#5 August 4 2011

enthralled

I'm sure if you start by drawing the human body properly, eventually you'll draw anything you can imagine.
I have seen many tutorials and read many books about the subject. I don't remember many titles, but I know that getting a decent book, or e-book, about perspective in drawing, is a MUST for starters. Knowledge about perspective, light and shadow is MOST essential. Personally I started with those.
My favorite drawing video tutorial about the human body is: The Structure of Man - Drawing The Human Figure From Your Mind http://www.alienthink.com/inventiontoco … gspot.html
After a while, when You feel you can move on, I recommend You step into coloring and mixing colors. I really hate manual coloring. I would only use pencil by hand. Anything else, I insist you should start learning to paint using Photoshop.
Best of the best tutorials, made by famous movie artists and matte painters are found at http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/ Tools they use are mostly Pencil and PC.
Wacom Tablet is a MUST!! Never use Mouse for painting or drawing on PC. It'll damage your hand/wrist!
I got mine from a relative in USA; it's MUCH cheaper than EU/Middle East region.
Of course, I'm not asking you to pay for all the books and tutorials. Any user at LebGeeks should know how to get stuff he/she wants! ;)

Best of Luck

#6 August 4 2011

FuSe

Interesting thank you Bassem and enthralled for the replies, that really helped me out.
I'll get going with your ideas and wish me luck , Bassem I'll try to join tonight and i'll hit u up

Edit: and enthralled, if you remember the ebooks titles, can you pm me here please?

Last edited by FuSe (August 4 2011)

#7 August 5 2011

samer
Admin

Here are some tutorials by Joumana Medlj, a great graphic designer (among other things):
http://www.cedarseed.com/fire/tutorials.html

#8 August 6 2011

FuSe

Thank you samer, I've already studied one of her tutorials, and to be honest it was "great"!

Board footer