LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 24 2011

mighthappen

My webdesign story!

As I'm a huge fan of internet entrepreneurship, I managed to create my 3rd, yet most [must be] successful  website.

Here's a story of a webdesign enthusiast, who had great dreams and visions, but never had the opportunity of fulfilling them until [hopefully] now.

I'm an Electrical and Computer Engineering student at AUB who always adored web programming and managed to create a website to serve the users better and help them navigate through the www easily.

At first, I had the idea of combining everything a user could need under one website which I called Ultimatumz[dot]com. The idea was to generate different sections holding:

1-Top headlines from around the world (news aggregate).
2-Most successful flash games found on the internet.
3-Hottest and most up-to-date softwares.
4-Web and OS utilities.
and many more.

However, after starting this website, I got robbed by a domain-selling company who took 100$ from my brother's internet card instead of 10$. But due to the lack of experience in the banking and internet domain, I didn't know that I could get the money again.(14 yo)

After coding many pages and launching the news aggregate feature, and many other features, I started getting some good traffic to my website(mostly my friends).

And as you all know, people in Lebanon don't appreciate anything and hence, 2 months later, No one got into my website. And later(yet again due to the lack of experience) my website got hacked, and that ended my first web dream.

But weeks later, I hopped into www.ultimatumz.com again to find out that this domain name was already occupied by people who stole my idea, and got their website online thanks to me:D(same domain name, same idea) (they're ranked 72,635 according to alexa.com).

My second website was a total waste of time( creating an MMORPG game).

Two years later(not having done any php/mysql coding), I'm back with [hopefully] a great idea that could fulfill my teenage dreams and get me back on the domain i always adored(web design and programming).

www.mighthappen.com

Feel free to ask me any question(and I'm sorry for any inconvenience I might have caused). And any help is really appreciated!
Thank You.

Last edited by mighthappen (July 24 2011)

#2 July 24 2011

haidcar

Re: My webdesign story!

nice work i just checked site and its really good, i liked your idea of getting people to vote whether  it might happen or might no, where you get people involved. keep up the good work :)

#3 July 24 2011

mighthappen

Thank you @haidcar for your interest in the website! Its still in its beta version, and Im still developing some cool stuff too. However I wanted to mention in my article how ideas in Lebanon are not appreciated. Forget about my website, I must say that: National Must Go Big!

Last edited by mighthappen (July 24 2011)

#4 July 25 2011

BashLogic

its an endulging site, keep working on it. you just might have a momentum going on there!

#5 July 25 2011

Ayman

@mighthappen, first of all I would like to welcome you to lebgeeks. Nice work you have there keep it up! I have similar dreams as yours but the way I see it is that a successful web entrepreneur should never expect success from the very first trials.

No matter how cool your idea of great your skills are you could still fail due to different circumstances and variables out there, some you could control and some you can't. You have to accept the harsh competition after all you are operating on the internet which is a perfectly competitive market.

I did reach the success point I dream of yet but I believe that the only way for that is constant trial, dedication and hard work. It may not work from the very first idea but many ideas do exist in this world as long as different problems exist around us. Many things didn't work out for me and could not work in the future, but these by themselves should be a great contribution to you as experience.

Just do what you feel like building, give it your best shot and try to make it your next big hit, if it doesn't work out for any reason make sure you learn from the mistakes you could have passed through and aim for a new idea or goal.

Here is an inspirational quote just for you:

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Best of luck!

Last edited by Ayman (July 25 2011)

#6 July 25 2011

mighthappen

First of all I wanna thank you all for your support, I really do appreciate it!

However, I must admit that @AymanFarhat is totally right, and that's what I meant implicitly in my post, but the thing is that I wanted to make Lebanese devs and technology enthusiasts  more into the business and more supportive, because I believe so many people in Lebanon are very capable of doing the impossible (which are many of my friends at the AUB who are amazing programmers but never had the chance to fulfill their dreams).
And as for me, I get so excited to see someone I know hit the top ranks in the world (had one friend before named Mark Daher "ex-owner of rootly.com and linuxforums.org). This is what I dream of in the first place.

And once again, thank you all for the support...
LebGeeky cheers to all of you.

Last edited by mighthappen (July 25 2011)

#7 July 26 2011

samer
Admin

Mark Daher "ex-owner of rootly.com and linuxforums.org

He bought then sold linuxforums, just thought I would clarify to avoid misinterpretation :)

My second website was a total waste of time( creating an MMORPG game).

I think you can learn a lot from creating an online MMORPG. It is definitely not a waste of time!

was already occupied by people who stole my idea, and got their website online thanks to me

Keep in mind that the idea alone is not the key to success. It is mostly the execution and the context that matters.

I think something important for entrepreneurs is learning from your competition:

In May, Kawasaki started Truemors, a site specializing in what it calls "true rumors" submitted by readers. It cost less than $13,000 to launch and was almost immediately dubbed "the worst site ever" by a leading European technology news site.

One year later:

Truemors, a rumor site launched by Guy Kawasaki in May 2007, has been acquired. The buyer is NowPublic, a “participatory news site”

Try to dig as much information about Truemors as possible and how they managed to get acquired. I mean yeah, it was founded by Guy Kawasaki which is already a great asset, but I still think there's something else to learn.

Good luck!

Board footer