LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 15 2005

jayinferno

Google search integration

Hello All

Ive been tryin to include Google search on a website. I got to the google dev. section, downloaded the script, and followed it step by step. Anyways, still after more than 6 month, the google search is only working Globally (not within the website). Anyone tried it before ?
By the way, for ur info, the website is all .NET and it uses some script to move from page to page because each viewer category has its own page viewing/customization rights.

Any Help?

#2 April 15 2005

mahdoum

Re: Google search integration

Well I dunno if this is what you're looking for but you can search for content on a website by typing site:website here what to look for here eg. site:mahdoum.org dragon.

And if you want to you can do it by submitting the url directly eg.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … org+dragon

so it would be http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … ORD1+WORD2

Are you personally coding the site? and if so what language you using?

#3 April 15 2005

samer
Admin

google custom search
http://www.google.com/services/free.html

or are you using the API to develop your app?

#4 April 18 2005

jayinferno

yeah i did all that. i put the custom search tool but still it doesnt work. I guess the problem is from the GKD.aspx file we've created, names "Gatekeeper" as i said before, to monitor each user and his rights. You see each user category has its own permission rights and customized navigation colors and links so we have to use the Gatekeeper.
Yeah we did the coding a long time ago.. (.NET).  But i still didnt solve the google issue... i hate it

#5 April 18 2005

mahdoum

did you try emailing google directly?

#6 April 18 2005

mezin

it worked for me once :S

#7 April 19 2005

jayinferno

yeah i did mail them... not much helpful they pointed me to the webmaster section of google and to the Help/dicussion forum ..
I was discussing with the developer yesterday, i guess the solution would be to leave the Google Search toolbar (for web search) and we will have to build the site's own site search.. which brings up a new question for u guyz: any idea where i can find good .NET search engines ?  Tnx

#8 April 19 2005

mahdoum

What do you mean exactly by .NET search engines?

#9 April 20 2005

rolf

dude you can have a search box, and when the the user clicks "search", a javascript adds "site:yoursite.com" in the search box just before submitting the search to google. It'll be so fast that the user wont notice anything.

Anyways, if it is noticeable there are probably ways to hide it, like have the javascript copy the value of the search box to a hidden form input, adding "site:yoursite.com" there and sending the hidden input value to google.

#10 April 20 2005

rolf

where i can find good .NET search engines ?  Tnx

Dunno, I work in PHP.
I have all the equipment of the masochistic web developper, namely, PHP+Apache+Linux (I am still missing the whip, though).

Thanks to these open-source technologies, I can code in a couple of days only work that would have taken me a couple of hours on Microsoft software  ;)

#11 April 20 2005

jayinferno

I guess the problem is from the GKD.aspx file we've created, names "Gatekeeper" as i said before, to monitor each user and his rights. You see each user category has its own permission rights and customized navigation colors and links so we have to use the Gatekeeper.

Rolf.. the site:yoursite thingy wont work.

#12 April 20 2005

rolf

Rolf.. the site:yoursite thingy wont work.

why? on any google search adding "site:abcd.com" works.

#13 April 21 2005

jayinferno

this doesnt work on my site.. :(

#14 April 21 2005

samer
Admin

maybe it's because you don't have indexed pages.
can you please provide us the URL of the site ?

#15 April 22 2005

jayinferno

the site is http://www.lsa.org.lb
(But hey.. dont tell me about the grfx.. i had nothing to do with them i just developed and implemented .. the designs were imposed by the client's graphic designer.. i don like them .. but the customer is king ! hehehe)

#16 April 22 2005

samer
Admin

you only have two indexed pges

#17 April 24 2005

jayinferno

you only have two indexed pges

i need more elaboration plz   :oops:

#18 April 24 2005

samer
Admin

google has only two pages in his cache, this either means that it hadn't been able to get the rest of the pages (usually its because of: frames, sessionIDs, complex dynamic urls or robots.txt exclude googlebot) or that when it crawled the site you had only two pages, if this is the case, then you'll have to wait for googlebot to come back :)

#19 April 25 2005

jayinferno

aaargh... i guess the problem is it couldnt crawl because of that GKD.aspx thingy... back to point zero..

Oh by the way, another shy question: how would i know how many pages of my site are indexed in google ?

Gracias.

#20 April 25 2005

mahdoum

yeah I'd like to know that as well.

#21 April 25 2005

samer
Admin

Results 1 - 10 of about 57,100 from www.google.com

google for instance has 57,000 indexed pages.

site:www.google.com

#22 April 25 2005

mahdoum

ah ok never knew it was like that cool! thanks

#23 April 25 2005

samer
Admin

np ;)

Board footer