LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 21 2011

cnicolaou

Anyone with experience in grid based CSS frameworks?

Hey guys,

Do you know anyone who's got experience writing CSS/HTML using frameworks such as Blueprint, Yaml or Yahoo?

Anyone tried designing websites for similar CSS frameworks?

~ cn

#2 February 21 2011

rolf

Re: Anyone with experience in grid based CSS frameworks?

No, but am interested in them. I just don't like the extra layer they add.

#3 February 21 2011

cnicolaou

Cool.

It isn't an extra layer as much as organising code properly and in an efficient way.

If you haven't yet, give Blueprint a try and see for yourself.

~ cn

#4 February 21 2011

arithma

I've used fusion theme for drupal here: http://www.legalarabforum.org
It's a pleasant thing to have CSS grids, but some times you'd need to fight against it when you're doing something or the other (perhaps it's because of the height of my stack (right to left support on top of fusion theme on top of drupal on top of php ...)

#5 February 21 2011

Zef

I like 960 gs for layout stuff because it is very minimal and helps develop quickly. It doesn't add the kind of thing that Blueprint does though, which can be nice sometimes too.

What I've been doing lately, however, is using SASS (or SCSS) and implementing the grid inside of that with the Compass framework, so it doesn't muck up your HTML markup.

The big difference is that ideally your HTML should not include classes that you need to change to style your page, but instead the classes should be descriptive, and the layout and styling should all happen in CSS.

If you want to code that way, you can't really use a CSS framework — but CSS frameworks can be extremely helpful. Using SASS makes it easy to bring this together. You can write semantic HTML with descriptive classes, and still benefit from a framework that gives that lets you reuse code and special behavior easily.

Compass includes a Blueprint module which I really like using for new projects. And the core helpers are really great too!

Anyway, I definitely recommend using a CSS framework, but even more I recommend getting into using Compass and SASS.

Board footer