LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 8 2011

rolf

Freelance VS Full-Time

Hi!

I know it takes time to start freelancing, but I think I have reached a point where I get an acceptable amount of assignments through the little network I have built myself...

But I am also offered full-time employment...

So what are you people's takes over the Freelance VS Full-time debate? I am a bit lost and thought I could use some wise advice from fellow geeks :)

#2 February 8 2011

xterm

Re: Freelance VS Full-Time

Perhaps it's time for Rolf to start his own company.

Good luck in any decision you make brother.

#3 February 8 2011

Joe

The main advantage of Full Time (apart from the obvious security) is the social life you get. And by that I don't simply mean meeting new people. What I mean is having to wake up in the morning and going to work the same time as everybody else, standard working hours, expecting the weekend, taking vacations, ...
Because you see, if you're self employed, your schedule will be very different from the people around you so you won't really be able to see them as much and in the same conditions. If you're self employed you're probably not going to wake up every morning at 8am. You're going to work at night when everybody else is out, or tired and recovering. You will feel completely unconcerned when a holiday comes up.

You get the global idea. Anw, in no way am I encouraging you to seek employment. I'm simply giving you yet another factor to take into account. Now that I think of it, I'm actually adding some confusion. Talk about helping ... sorry rolf.

#4 February 8 2011

arithma

If you already have clients, and work is good, you should stay self employed since the prospects are much higher.
Going to be employed after freelancing is a bad thing. You'll get the shorter of wages since employers usually think they have the upper hand.
Getting employed is less reversible than staying freelancing.
It takes a lot to build a network through which work can pour, I'd hate to have you ruin that.

Of course, realities of work dictate that you alone know how to take the decision.

I believe you should apply, look for the wages, and then compare on an economic scale. Make sure you measure expected reward and growth rate thereof, risk and instability. To see it through a social perspective, make a window through which you'd want to work, and then asses the different options. If you want to have a more normal life, don't consider freelancing at all.

This comes from a person who tried to freelance but gave it up as a dedicated thing and sucked up the corporate ideals. It's not bad.

#5 February 9 2011

MrClass

hey. I am into both right now. I work at a school as IT and Network administrator during the day, and a web developer during the night

You will get the best of both worlds.

The only disadvantage is that you will have to work like 15+ hours per day (i got used to it)

#6 February 9 2011

samer
Admin

Check out this relevant essay by Paul Graham: You Weren't Meant to Have a Boss.

#7 February 9 2011

mir

nice link samer.

rolf imho only go on a full time job if you get access to resources that you can't afford like servers n such or access to software or licenses or if you are in the mood to work on something huge in infrastructure.

Sometimes it feels nice to say i built this - but otherwise, freelance imho is the way to go.

agree with what rahmu says - but you can always enjoy a swim on the beach or a day on the snow in midweek - there are no strict dress code when freelancing, no horrible driving - those stuff are priceless and it all comes down to good time management

here is a comic by maya on your topic http://mayazankoul.com/2011/01/31/5-thi … time-jobs/

Last edited by mir (February 9 2011)

#8 February 9 2011

francois.chaer

hi, what you should take in consideration to be able to decide is the following:

1- how long you have been freelancing ?
    after a period of time being a freelancer, you will have a hard time following others rules and minds.

2- how big is your freelanced network?
    i mean how many customers or projects in hand, how many (prospected) i meant forecasts :)?

3- why do you happen to be a freelancer ?

answer those questions honestly to yourself and voila you will be able to take the right decision

good luck my friend what ever you decide

Francois Chaer

Last edited by francois.chaer (February 12 2011)

#9 February 11 2011

rolf

I just want to take the time to that thank you for all the opinions :) Lots of things said here are correct.
I personally find it very hard to bind to other people's way of working, especially after numerous bad experiences in that matter. And in my case it's not only a case of Freelance vs Full time but also a case of how to deal with bad working conditions, like smoking in the workplace.
All I can do is join myself to you and say... good luck Rolf :)
But I have to say I enjoy the non-judgmental opinions I received here, the support, and it also helped me see a bit clearer.

#10 February 12 2011

shekvaL

At the end Good luck Rolf :)

Board footer