LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 14 2010

Ayman

Convert .swf to .gif

Good evening everyone, I am working on a J2ME app were I want to display an animation(which is originally in flash) yet I want to keep it as portable as possible. Not all devices support animated gif or flash so what I want to do is convert the flash file into a series of images and frames, and then achieve the animation from the program through showing each image one after another.

What I need is a .swf to .gif decoder that would generate all the images included in the swf animation to a set of .gif images. Do you know of any good tool for achieving that? Do you have any advice pertaining to this issue? Thanks in advance, have a good day :)

#2 July 14 2010

rolf

Re: Convert .swf to .gif

Why dont you take screenshots? Or video screen capture?

#3 July 14 2010

Ayman

No thats not what I want actually, what I want to obtain is not a single image but a set of still images pertaining to the animation i.e. when played one after another in the program, I would obtain the same animation as the flash one.

Last edited by Ayman (July 14 2010)

#4 July 14 2010

kareem_nasser

I dont know if this helps but check it at least.
Magic Swf2Gif 1.20
Swf to gif converter (Forum)

#5 July 14 2010

duckster

gifsicle http://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/ for gifs

#6 July 15 2010

rolf

AymanFarhat wrote:

No thats not what I want actually, what I want to obtain is not a single image but a set of still images pertaining to the animation i.e. when played one after another in the program, I would obtain the same animation as the flash one.

Duh, I know that!
That's why I said "screenshotS", and also video capture (from which you should be able to extract your images)

#7 July 15 2010

xterm

What you plan on doing is a resource hog Ayman.

#8 July 15 2010

Ayman

@kareem_nasser, thanks for the link but that tool generates sets of images that are extremely large in size!

@duckster, thanks for the tool, this can be useful after converting from swf to gif.

rolf wrote:
AymanFarhat wrote:

Duh, I know that!
That's why I said "screenshotS", and also video capture (from which you should be able to extract your images)

Sorry for the mis-understanding.

What you plan on doing is a resource hog Ayman.

You are right, the best thing to do is forget about this animation as it is not really vital, yet it would have been looked nice in the splash screen. Or maybe you have a better more efficient idea(yet taking care of portability at the same time).

#9 July 15 2010

xterm

Your best bet is to convert to a video format that is supported by HTML5.

If you consider what you're planning on doing, you'll need around 15 frames per second to make it run smoothly, that's 15 images per second! Unless you're going for a time lapse at which point you can skip a few frames but you'll lose the smooth experience.

I believe J2ME does have a browser panel. (I believe it was JEditorPane in J2SE). Check whether it supports HTML5. If not, you're out of luck.

Last edited by xterm (July 15 2010)

Board footer