LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 19 2004

7aRami

Damn Small Linux!

hello everybody!
kinda new here.. and I want to start using linux
one of my friends gave a copy of "Damn Small Linux" which is only 50MB!
I hope some of u have heared of it.. cuz I need some help in starting using it  :!:  as I know I can place the files on a USB stick and let the computer boot from it.. but how can I do that  :?:
when placing the linux file on the USB the computer doesn't do anything, it just loads my XP, does any1 of u have ever used it? if yes can u plz tell me how to make the USB bootable?
in addition plz tell me which versions of linux can I start with as a new user.. :rolleyes:
thx in advance!

#2 December 19 2004

samer
Admin

Re: Damn Small Linux!

Hey 7arami, and welcome to lebgeeks.
I'm also a linux newbie, but I think you should read some of the documentation provided by the distro you chose (in your case, "damn small linux" which is probably based on some other distro, debian maybe :?)

i found this article, i hope it solves your problem"
http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/gr … HOWTO.html

enjoy your stay!

#3 December 20 2004

7aRami

thanks for z reply samer, z page was helpful even though I still didn't find how to run the linux from my usb..
anyway I found something else this morning, it is Knoppix, u can burn it to a cd and it will be bootable!
check http://www.knoppix.org/

#4 December 20 2004

samer
Admin

yep, i tried knoppix, and I liked it .. some say that it is good for testing linux, if you like it, then you can switch to red hat, or debian

a distro, "phoenix" (i think that it is based on debian) has been made by the lebanese linux group .

check it out:  http://www.linux.com.lb/wiki/

#5 December 22 2004

Ragnar78

I met a Debian developper guy...he came to my uni when a teacher invited him to explain to him about the linux community....

This guy has an adress @debian.org

This guy is not a linux guru...but a Linux GOD>>>

he works in texas instruments in Sophia Antipolis...

Concerning how to practice and understand linux: no secrets...destroy your pc trying to figure what things do and how...

#6 December 26 2004

Ozzi

Am not sure if this works, but did you try going into BIOS and assign for the pc to start from the USB drive? if this doesn't work, you can always copy the OS into a CD, and in BIOS assign for the pc to start from the CD-Rom. this aught to work

#7 December 26 2004

samer
Admin

that's how knoppix works ..
and nice idea ozzi, .. like she said, you could give priority to the usb drive by modifying the values in the BIOS.

the ways to get into the BIOS are different, depending on the manufacterers .. make a google search to find yours.

#8 December 28 2004

Sadus

Booting from USB works, you can even boot WinXP from USB, or even install your OS on your rams and let it boot from there, I also have a Windows XP Live Cd made by a french guy that boots from CD just like Knoppix does.
A friend of mine installed his WinXP on his 2GB ECC rams and is booting, and working from the rams directly.

Samer, Ozzi, you can't assign your BIOS to boot from USB, unless its there in newer boards. (I still work on my lovely P3 1ghz), but i doubt it.

7aRami, copying files won't do shit. in every devices there are boot sectors that you can't see or modify that easy, especialy in Windows, you can do that using IsoBuster to extract the .boot file and modify it..

just go to http://www.google.com/linux, you'll find all the help you want there.

another thought, if you don't know how to use some advanced commands of linux and understand them, you won't know how to deal with it.

#9 December 28 2004

samer
Admin

thanks for the correction Sadus.

Board footer