LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 9 2010

Samer99

Satalite Internet in Lebanon

I know that this topic was discussed before on this forum... but I started a new more specific thread (so moderators, please do not delete or lock this thread).

I need to use satellite Internet in Lebanon (one-way or two-way satellite connection), but first here are a few important notes:

1) I know that this is illegal according to the Lebanese law, but unfortunately, I don't care!

2) I know that the latency is too high, and the connection will keep disconcerting, but I also don't care (I will use the connection only for downloading).

3) I do not want any kind of mobility, I am ready to install up to 3 meters wide dish on my house roof (that will reduce the connection costs, isn't that true?).

4) I aim from the satellite connection to achieve higher download speeds and larger download quotas (at lower prices) than that offered by OGERO.

5) I know that OGERO will improve their Internet connection (after finishing their promised optic fiber cabling), but honestly, I can not wait anymore! (by the way, do not expect from a government that blocks VOIP to give you a 10 mbps connection in the upcoming months)

So what are the available satellite Internet solutions in Lebanon? Any help will be very appreciated!

Last edited by Samer99 (June 10 2010)

#2 June 10 2010

Samer99

Re: Satalite Internet in Lebanon

Note: It is not important whether the satellite Internet service provider have an office in Beirut or not, I am ready to buy the service online (paying via credit card).

Last edited by Samer99 (June 10 2010)

#3 June 10 2010

abctel2000

#4 June 10 2010

J4D

contact Ismael Ghandour
he will take care of everything

#5 June 10 2010

TheIlluminative

Hi dude,

You can try http://www.broadsat.com/

You need to point your dish to Eutelsat W3A (it's really easy to do that).

- DVB card $90

- Software of the company to manage the connection.

Good Luck :)

#6 June 21 2010

beezer

If you have a relative or friend in Saudi Arabia.
They can buy the Orbit Satellite internet package for you and bring it over.

You'll need a 1.5m dish and it's really good service.
The 512kbps package allows 1.5GB download per day.

It's slightly more expensive. But the quota allowed is amazing (relative to Lebanons ISP)

#7 June 22 2010

Samer99

beezer wrote:

If you have a relative or friend in Saudi Arabia.
They can buy the Orbit Satellite internet package for you and bring it over.

You'll need a 1.5m dish and it's really good service.
The 512kbps package allows 1.5GB download per day.

It's slightly more expensive. But the quota allowed is amazing (relative to Lebanons ISP)

Their offers seams to be very attractive, but they do not show the prices on their website http://www.orbitsatnet.com/ (you have to call their local dealer to know the prices, and I don't think that they have any dealers in Lebanon because their service is illegal...).

Do you have any idea about the prices of their packages? What about the hardware (dish, receiver, decoder...) are they found in Lebanon, or provided by Orbit (and thus should be also imported from Saudi Arabia)?

#8 June 25 2010

beezer

They don't have it available in Lebanon. But it's really easy to bring it across. All you need is the LNB, and the Modem. The cable is also good, but you can find a similar solution in Lebanon. But only if it's good quality, otherwise small noise interference will screw it up. Like I said, the satellite dish needs to be 1.5m, and you will need someone with a satellite "graph measuring thing" (I forget what it's called). This way they'll get you the best signal/spectrum so you have perfect quality. You basically have to be 90% on this thing or else it'll work horribly.

I forget what the price was, but it was something like $160 USD/mo. for 512kbps.

I'll give them a call on Saturday and give you some info on pricing and satellite. (if I remember).

#9 March 27 2011

reyoam

sooo, Samer99
i know it's a century now for me to bring this up, but did you manage to get a satellite connection? and do you recommend it?
plus if so, what is it?

#10 March 27 2011

Samer99

I didn't install any satellite Internet connection... because all satellite Internet solutions that I found didn't pass my fourth requirement:

4) I aim from the satellite connection to achieve higher download speeds and larger download quotas (at lower prices) than that offered by OGERO.

Although there are many satellite Internet solutions with high speeds... all of them had a very limited quotas (similar to Ogero's DSL qoutas) with a very high prices (more than Ogero's DSL prices...).

Last edited by Samer99 (March 27 2011)

#11 March 27 2011

dp0001

Samer99 wrote:

this is by no means equivalent to satellite, but it can be a very quick (perhaps more affordable) fix to the internet blues if you have two phone lines at home

this piece of hardware does isp load balancing. (it's just one of many)
http://www.xrio.com/Products/ubm-200i.aspx

" Load balancing Internet links, the UBM 200i raises your available bandwidth above that of any single connection, doubling your available bandwidth both on upload and download improves web browsing..." they even have a quad adsl version

i havnt tried this, so it's theoretical at that point but i'm seriously looking into it

so you can get two connections from two different isp's that offer unlimited packages, or two 2 mbps connections or whatever, each one on a different line and aggregate them with this dual dsl modem.

Last edited by dp0001 (March 27 2011)

#12 October 5 2022

user

Reviving a zombie. I need a backup in case ogero goes to hell. Anyone have any new info?

#13 October 5 2022

nuclearcat

1)It is illegal
2)full backup - about 1 year subscription of even slower speed than ogero and 600ms latency, barely usable for video-audio conferencing will cost you about $6000
(there is no point in cheaper 1-way if Ogero is down)

Board footer