LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 12 2009

Joe

Good video editing software for Linux

Well I've been using Kdenlive and I'm happy with it so far (Except that I don't like using Qt with GNOME). I've tried Avidemux, but it's more about editing a single clip (it has no timeline whatsoever). I've heard about a software called Cinelerra, but it isn't packaged so I have to compile it from source.

What do you use ?

#2 October 25 2009

Leonedes

Re: Good video editing software for Linux

That is exactly why we dont use linux man

#3 October 25 2009

nuclearcat

rahmu - check http://cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php#ubuntu
There is also repositories for other distributions

mark.assad - sure, sure, go and continue playing with windows, don't bother adult uncles.

#4 October 25 2009

Leonedes

Will do, me and the other 94 % of the human population.

#5 October 25 2009

Aly

94% isn't a precise number at all ;)

#6 October 25 2009

rolf

Only people without girlfriends will try to do stuff such as learn video editing on Linux.
Unless you're in server stuff an networking, Linux is a waste of time and resources.

Last edited by rolf (October 25 2009)

#7 October 26 2009

Joe

rolf wrote:

Only people without girlfriends will try to do stuff such as learn video editing on Linux.
Unless you're in server stuff an networking, Linux is a waste of time and resources.

You obviously haven't tried a linux desktop for a while. I'm truly impressed with the quality of open source software recently. Even two years ago (back when I switched), things weren't as good as now. Progress is happening fast. Believe me.

Linux may not be perfect. It has its flaws (as a Desktop, of course). I know that there are some stuff I'm giving up by going open source. But you're amazed everyday by new software coming up. Kdenlive the software I use for editing is impressively good and can easily compete with the likes of Sony Vega (I said compete not defeat. You are getting a free software after all).

By the way rolf, my girlfriend's here, she says hi ;)

Last edited by Joe (October 26 2009)

#8 October 26 2009

rolf

Say hi to her too.
I was running linux not so long ago (a couple of monthes). Its not so bad really, gotten better these last years, (but not so much very lately - thinking about ubuntu). But it is riddled with ugly bugs (random static coming out of speakers, weird behaviof of the shortcut bar, intermittent wireless connectivity) those are mostly apparent on rare hardware and custom configuration. Now Im running OSX, at least it looks and feels better, yet it doesnt beat windows in functionality.
Anyway, maybe I was wrong in saying that, just why dont you get XP and a pirated copy of commercial video editing software, or just use movie maker?

#9 October 26 2009

Joe

I'm really happy with Kdenlive. I was just curious about other software. But yeah if I could my Linux would dual-boot on a Mac. (I need money ...).

And about the bugs: They rarely happen with me. Of course linux is not perfect everyday, and sometimes it really pisses me off. But it's far less annoying than my previous Windows experiences.

Linux can be difficult sometimes, I admit, but it's nice to see it evolve.

Last edited by Joe (October 26 2009)

#10 October 26 2009

nuclearcat

mark.assad wrote:

Will do, me and the other 94 % of the human population.

Yes, i know. More higher percent of humans leave only their DNA for descendants. And only few % make something good.

rolf wrote:

ROTFL! You are right. Before i had relationship with N girls, now embedded development forced me to make N-1.
I won't reveal N, because i have wife also :-D who can see this forum.

Last edited by nuclearcat (October 26 2009)

#11 October 26 2009

nuclearcat

rahmu wrote:

Linux can be difficult sometimes, I admit, but it's nice to see it evolve.

Next step is to collaborate. First bugreports, then your own development.
Then you will be proud about urself, that you made something, that many people uses.

#12 October 26 2009

hussam

rolf wrote:

I have a fiancée and I've been running only Linux since 2004. It's very little maintenance. I only had 2 problems in 2009 on Linux and both were solved with upgrading the corresponding packages. In 2008, I had one problem but a hal update fixed it. in 2007, I had no problems. In 2006, I switched from KDE to Gnome.

Using Linux means I have time to browse the Internet, watch DVDs, write documents, go out with my friends and not worry about whether I'm going to get a BSOD in the middle of my work.

If I have simple problems, I just contact the respective upstream developers and I normally get help within hours.

Last edited by hussam (October 26 2009)

#13 October 26 2009

xterm

hussam wrote:

Using Linux means I have time to browse the Internet, watch DVDs, write documents, go out with my friends and not worry about whether I'm going to get a BSOD in the middle of my work.

Please stop living in the 1990s. Why do i never get the BSOD?

Last edited by xterm (October 26 2009)

#14 October 26 2009

nuclearcat

xterm - example, i install Vista on laptop, settings in BIOS for IDE controller was Compatible mode (PATA). I change to AHCI. While Linux didn't notice difference and works transparently. Vista will BSOD and doesn't boot even in safe mode.
Even Win7 need some magic to handle this situation.

#15 October 27 2009

Joe

Please stop living in the 1990s. Why do i never get the BSOD?

I got two of them recently will re-installing Windows on a Dell laptop. For no reason they just appeared during install.

Board footer