LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 16 2009

Georges

The Best Media Player Ever ?

... And your Favorite Media Player is ?
and please Tell me the reason of your selection.

Mine is "Songbird"... and the reason is the Availability of add-ons and the web browsing feature. :lol:

#2 September 16 2009

battikh

Re: The Best Media Player Ever ?

media monkey for auto taging from web, speed, auto renaming of files based on tags, auto managing files, supports scripts and extensions, ...
has many automation features for small time consuming things, like reorganizing files based on different fields from the tags, or like for example checking the letter cases of all the file names and tags, and puts capital letters only where they should be  might sound stupid, but its small features like that that helps doing the shitty time consuming things that we end up not doing if we have to do them by hand

#3 September 16 2009

mir

hmm.. well i like songbird cuz it is open source , has the extensions principles , has browsing inside ... the only downside is its memory usage and it doesn't support a play list ( maybe it does and i donno how to do it )

Media monkey on the ohter hand is really nice , light weight, has all the features i would want to do in songbird bala waja3 ras and googling  but it is limited eventually cuz no extensions

Both of the above , don't have a video support
another thing ... i like VLC :) well those cute cones i find on the roads always make me nostalgic  and it opens all kinds of extensions

I heard new itunes is out.. donno about the new features

Last edited by mir (September 16 2009)

#4 September 16 2009

battikh

mir wrote:

but it is limited eventually cuz no extensions

it does have extensions and scripts...
http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/general/

you can write your own scripts too, they have some example and documentation on their website for scripting.

just to add 1 more good thing about media monkey, the sync feature works pretty well, and well configurable. choosing which playlist(s) to sync with which device(s), ... pretty useful.

Last edited by battikh (September 16 2009)

#5 September 16 2009

rolf

If you mean music organiser, then I would say itunes because of the GUI.
I think Songbird is the best option for linux.

But VLC is always around. If you just want to play media (movies, etc...) VLC all the way! (compatibility, flexibility, light interface)

Last edited by rolf (September 16 2009)

#6 September 16 2009

J4D

its  vlc  for me   a great player   plays all  kinds of formats  repairs damaged videos , open  source   , very   low on graphics / memory consumption  best of all  its handy  and with a lot of options , it does not have a disign or a good consumer interface  but it does not matter with me my computer is on the  98 theme :cool:

#7 September 16 2009

samer
Admin

I use Vox on OS X. Very low RAM usage, does what it should do :)

#8 September 17 2009

Charly

media player classic MPC, i just like it =D

#9 September 17 2009

Ayman

Actually I like WINAMP media player. Second comes VLC which is good too. :)

#10 September 28 2009

Flakk

mediaplayer classic

#11 September 29 2009

J4D

media player classic is also good  plays all as well as vlc

#12 September 29 2009

rolf

It would really be nice if music management cound be well integrated into the explorer/finder. You can then do without itunes altogether, why not.

#13 September 29 2009

NoReGreT

mplayer !

Nothing can beat it. Especially with support for multicore (ffmpeg-mt or CoreAVC) CPUs for watching those HD movies and codecs for anything

#14 September 29 2009

J4D

NoReGreT wrote:

mplayer !

Nothing can beat it. Especially with support for multicore (ffmpeg-mt or CoreAVC) CPUs for watching those HD movies and codecs for anything

that  really gave me a giggle   mate dont you know about the other players ? they are definitely better ,  they also play every thing for example vlc nearly plays .exe files  (kidding)  rethink about your answer :lol:

#15 September 30 2009

NoReGreT

jadberro wrote:

that  really gave me a giggle   mate dont you know about the other players ? they are definitely better ,  they also play every thing for example vlc nearly plays .exe files  (kidding)  rethink about your answer :lol:

I am well aware of VLC, and obviously you are not in the case of mplayer.
First of all, it is a matter of preference. Both use the same library for decoding (libavcodec). Secondly, mplayer has a CLI while VLC has a GUI.

From my experience in VLC, it has a buggy GUI and doesn't demux matroska properly (maybe fixed in newer versions).

Anyway, I use mplayer for videos only on both platforms. As for audio, when on Windows, I use WMP and when on *nix, I use Audacious.

After all, everything is just a preference.

#16 September 30 2009

J4D

yup  you said it its preference  and i haven't  have had any problem  with VLC  ever :)

#17 October 12 2009

Joe

I love VLC (I might be the only hardcore VLC fan around, I defend it with all my soul). For music though, I love Amarok (I think it's being ported to Windows). But lately I've amazed by Nautilus' ability to play music (GNOME users should relate).

#18 October 12 2009

xterm

Anything that opens the media I'm trying to play at that point in time.

VLC hasn't failed me yet, so +1 to VLC.

#19 November 5 2009

bigjudge

Yorgi wrote:

... And your Favorite Media Player is ?
and please Tell me the reason of your selection.

Mine is "Songbird"... and the reason is the Availability of add-ons and the web browsing feature. :lol:

vlc is the best all around player. No need for extra codecs.

#20 November 5 2009

Joe

I have just discovered that Totem lets you browse Youtube. No plugin required, just the regular install. I think I'm gonna spend some time on it try to figure out what more it can do.

#21 November 5 2009

Hybrid

i use windows media player for almost everything
and nero showtime for DVDs

#22 November 6 2009

al_jamal

vlc and winamp

#23 November 6 2009

GN90

real player , but i like how the albums are organized in windows media player 11

#24 November 6 2009

samer
Admin

One program for folks using Windows is Foobar2000.
Low RAM, highly customizable and expendable. It's perhaps the only app I wish was available on OS X.

#25 November 6 2009

J4D

samer wrote:

One program for folks using Windows is Foobar2000.
Low RAM, highly customizable and expendable. It's perhaps the only app I wish was available on OS X.

i just checked it and installed it , it beats VLC big time , thanks for the link and program samer btw:  isn't there any app like "wine" in "Ubuntu" ? to run "win" executables throe OS X ?  i know the base is linux ?

Last edited by jadberro (November 6 2009)

Board footer