LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 26 2009

xterm

Virtualization

Greetings,

I'm in the process of running Windows 7 Beta in Virtualbox, however I'm getting an error that I'm trying to run a 64 bit application on a non 64 bit processor. My processor is in fact 64 bit. The resources on the internet show that one must turn on virtualization in the BIOS, which is an option i do not have on my Toshiba P100-324.

Does anyone have a Toshiba laptop which has the Virtualization option in the BIOS?

Kind reply with Laptop type.

Thanks

#2 February 26 2009

nuclearcat

Re: Virtualization

better to run hardware Xen or KVM virtualisation
Toshiba had by the way problems with hardware virtualisation. They disable it in BIOS and didn't gave customers choice to enable back. I dont remember full story, i heard about story some time ago.

#3 February 27 2009

proners

nuclearcat wrote:

Toshiba had by the way problems with hardware virtualisation. They disable it in BIOS and didn't gave customers choice to enable back. I dont remember full story, i heard about story some time ago.

:O shouldn't that problem has been solved by now, i remember it from mid-2006, this is why toshiba is fail

#4 April 15 2009

Joe

I had the same problem with my Toshiba laptop. Any luck solving it ? I'd be interested in the solution.

Btw I tried 7 on another machine. It looks nice, and from first tests, looks somewhat more stable than Vista (what a nightmare that OS was...). Still didn't convince me to go back to Windows though ... (I just can't find my way around that f*ing regedit)

#5 April 15 2009

mir

well i have a toshiba A100 and i could install Windows 7 in vmware.. no problems.

but i didn't really use it much.. anaja2 kam mara just to check
but i still haven't convinced myself around that start menu... and that plastic feeling

#6 April 16 2009

Joe

When it comes to bad taste Microsoft sure is the best.

#7 April 16 2009

xterm

No rahmu, i stopped trying. I tested Windows 7 beta however on another machine and hardly found any difference.

#8 April 16 2009

kevin

Make sure you tick "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" in the virtual machine's settings, under general --> advanced.

Works fine on my Toshiba.

#9 April 17 2009

tich

Oh and you can't run a 64-bit OS on vmware unless your host OS is 64-bit also (that's what i found out). Are you sure your main OS is 64-bit? I know mine isn't, although my processor supports 64-bit.

#10 April 17 2009

Joe

Oh and you can't run a 64-bit OS on vmware unless your host OS is 64-bit also

That must be it. I run a 32-bit OS so guess this where the problem came from.

#11 April 18 2009

BashLogic

to what i recall, vmware has a 64bit emulation support for the 32bit os regardless of the processor type (32/64) but it was not supported or somthing along that line, dont recall exactly it was like use at your own choice with limitations. you need to have your hosting os to be 64bit, with linux you can easily install that, with windows you will experience problems, drivers, stability etc..

#12 August 22 2009

JoeLB

Same Problem with Sony VGN-AR850E, the BIOS doesnt have the enable Option in the settings, BUT there is some webpages where u can check, use it On ur Own Risk of frying ur Bios, try to patch the Bios. this is for Sony VAIO
http://blog.steelooper.com/search/label/Virtualization
a Quick Google Search for" Bios Enable Virtualization VT-x Toshiba Sony ( u name the Brand) Intel VT.
Hopes of a Patch by the Manufacturer is Very Slim...Dam it We payed for it and they Disable it, one bit makes the Difference from 000 to 001, But Where is the issue...:mad:

#13 August 22 2009

mir

speaking of virtualization... i have been using parallel lately on OS X ... that thing is sweet !
it is better than vmware... it is not about a personal point of view !
I love the coherence mode and when it turns to a small thing on ur desktop and u can keep an eye on the virutal machines :)

also i love how "natural" it feels ! how u can access files on your host and guest OS and there is some dark magic going on.. i have in total 2GB RAM, while installing XP i allocated first 512 RAM to install basic stuff on it ... but as i was working i was able to install visual studio 2008 , sql 2000 , sql 2008, office 2007 + BCM (big db ) + lot of shits and componenets with regular time ( files weren't slow to copy or anything )

somehow in some places it seems to read the full 2GB not the 512 !
you can also migrate other virtual machines... if u had something in vmware u can have it in parallel , i don't recall seeing that option in vmware 

I have one doubt tho, I donno if the difference is from being on OSX not winXP as a host .

so far between parallel and vmware i choose parallel - no second thoughts ! 

I downloaded Virtual Box.... and willing to give it a good try as well and decide 
would appreciate if someone can give feedback as well.. if any trouble with parallel and some comparaison betweeen the different tools

#14 August 22 2009

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

I tried KVM on ubuntu and it didnt get further then the Windows install.
I tried to make Xen work but it seems way to complicated.
VMWare is supposedly fast but its commercial.

Board footer