LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 5 2009

Wilosoft

Hardisk Busted :(

Hey all, I was working in kuwait & my family told me that the hardisk is busted/burnt whatever, I took it to some computer shops to see if I can retrieve data from, but all couldn't do anything about it.

The hardisk is seen in the bios setup but no in the windows when u log in, I know there are specialized companies that can fix damaged hardisks!! I need the data from this hardisk, it has data more than 4 years ago and I don't have them at all :S

So please if anyone have a wide experience in hardisks please reply :)

#2 July 5 2009

BashLogic

Re: Hardisk Busted :(

there are three paths you can walk thru,
1- add the hard disk to a linux box and try to use rdd (rescue dd) at that point if linux is able to handle the disk, it should be able to make a copy of it into a mountable file or another disk, google for rdd rescue for more details.
2- you can search for a 100% identical disk to use, it has to be 100% identical not only the model but also the firmware and even better if from the same production batch. if you find one, swap the I/O board on the hard disks and give it a try.
3- use commercial services such as IBAS

good luck.

PS: i will spare you the flame for not backing up so make sure this is the last time this happens!

#3 July 5 2009

rolf

Find some computer running windows, install rstudio on it, then plug the hard disk (when computer is off!!) then run a scan on it.
This software should salvage what is salvageable.
If the hard disk makes strange noises and/or doesnt behave as expected, then the problem is from hardware. Sometimes the electrical board of the hard disk is damaged (especially if the failure is due to a power fault from the power supply). In these cases you can try to find the same electrical board. It is electrical board that lays at the bottom of the hard disk and contains transistors, circuits, etc... normally it can be changed, also called I/O board.
If you can replace it with the exact same board, then your disk may work again, and you may be able to recover data using rstudio.
If that still doesnt work, then its probably a mechanical problem. These are the hardest and most expensive. But some companies deal with it. You may have to ship your drive to another country... they will take your disk apart, remove the magnetic platter, and try to read it. It needs special laboratory equipment.

If the hard disk is in Lebanon I can also put you in touch with someone who does data recovery on hard disks with defective electrical boards.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Last edited by rolf (July 5 2009)

#4 July 6 2009

Padre

just a hint : never open the drive 
only swap the I/O board if u find a similar one (as noted by Bash).

#5 July 6 2009

rolf

Padre wrote:

Dont listen to him. Magnetic platters make great decoration, for hanging off the ceiling or sticking on the wall ;)

BTW, I opened a 12 megabytes drive once (yes, 12, dont ask...), worked on the head (it was stuck) then closed it back and it was still working 1 year later.

( PS: Dont open your drive, Im just kidding. Geek humor. )

Last edited by rolf (July 6 2009)

#6 July 6 2009

BashLogic

heh i remember the good old disks.. they were the size of a washing machine, every once in a while you would hear some horrible cranckling sound come out of it, we used to call the cleaners to come in open the lid and vacuum clean it from all the dust and debris, 5min with hoover did magic!

nowadays with the disk capacity being so intensly small, you do need to know what you are doing with the platters.
for example ibas purchases every single disk model for spare parts, should only the platers be left, it would replace it with an identical model and attempt to read the platters. sometimes they try to simply just read the platters which is a very hard task as each I/O board has a different writting pattern on the platters. this is done mostly when the casing is damaged for example crushed or burned, even then the chances of retrieving the data in whole is slim. all this requires a dust/particle free facility, yes men in suits as if ebola is on the loose would be handling it. such facilities are not cheap to maintain.

the chances of finding an identical model is very slim, so either say goodbye to your data or perpare yourself to pay a fortune.

rolf wrote:
Padre wrote:

Dont listen to him. Magnetic platters make great decoration, for hanging off the ceiling or sticking on the wall ;)

BTW, I opened a 12 megabytes drive once (yes, 12, dont ask...), worked on the head (it was stuck) then closed it back and it was still working 1 year later.

( PS: Dont open your drive, Im just kidding. Geek humor. )

#7 July 6 2009

Wilosoft

Thx a lot for ur replies, I'll see what I can do :)

#8 July 6 2009

rolf

BashLogic wrote:

the chances of finding an identical model is very slim, so either say goodbye to your data or perpare yourself to pay a fortune.

Well... There's this guy I know (and whom I mentioned before) who kept a stock of old hard drives for swapping I/O boards. He did a recovery for me once on a disk that was damaged by the (Chinese) power supply. I bargained with him down to like 80 us dollars, if my memory serves me well.

I dont even know if he's still in business though, that was a couple of years ago.

#9 July 6 2009

Wilosoft

He's dead then

Board footer