LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 25 2009

Joe

Boot from USB

Hey guys I'm trying to get my Toshiba Tecra to boot from the USB port. I configured my BIOS but it still "ignores" the order and boots directly from the hard drive. Any ideas on how to solve the problem ?

#2 April 25 2009

rolf

Re: Boot from USB

What did you plug in the usb? Maybe its not finder a proper bootsector.

#3 April 25 2009

Joe

I installed Ubuntu on a memory stick. Didn't boot at all. I even tried pluging an external CD drive with a Live CD in it, still nothing.

#4 April 25 2009

rolf

I think theres a procedure for making ubuntu bootable from a usb drive. I dont remember exact details. I tried that once with 8.04, downloaded some utility that is supposed to make it work, but i dont remember if i followed the procedure properly... it didnt work and I gave up.
If you cant boot the live cd thats weird too... check something in the bios about legacy usb support.
Sorry, I cant help much.

#5 April 26 2009

Joe

The usb drive is bootable, I tried it on other computers and it worked... anyway thanks for your concern, I'll see how I can fix this.

#6 April 26 2009

rolf

Had to work with toshiba tecras at my last job, didnt like them that much. Everyone was turning them in to get older dells instead...:)

#7 June 5 2009

Ayman

rahmu wrote:

The usb drive is bootable, I tried it on other computers and it worked... anyway thanks for your concern, I'll see how I can fix this.

Try hitting esc once your PC boots so that you get a menu that shows from which medium you would like to boot your PC, the flash drive option should be included,other options that are included are the CD Drive and hard disk actually that worked for me when i had the same problem as you. Furthermore, some older PCs may not support booting from USB actually i have another fairly older PC that is not able to do that... Anyways, good luck and i hope it works :):)

Board footer