LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 23 2008

---()--()---

Feedback for VISP

Oi'

I'm thinking of subscribing to a 256K account with VISP.

Main appeals to me are :

* The gaming zone (supposedly with <100ms latencies for private servers, and 100-200ms latencies on foreign servers)

* No bandwidth limitations.

Can anyone subscribed to that ISP give me some feedback ? Is is as good as advertised ?

#2 September 23 2008

karim

Re: Feedback for VISP

Their connection is not bad when it works. I couldn't care less about latencies (are long as they are ok, <400ms is acceptable), since I don't play online games.

Reliability is so-so... Expect the connection to crap out every few hours for a couple of minutes, for no apparent reason, and don't get angry when it goes out for half a day, it happens every couple of weeks.

Support is totally useless. If I was VISP, i'd save myself a penny and fire them (i doubt their support gets paid more than that for the job that they DON'T get done). If you need something try to the get the highest ranking officer you can find, and start yelling. It's the only way you can get things done. Oh, you can also come here, and start nagging, it worked great for my youtube issues.

Bandwidth limitations is actually the only reason I am still with VISP. I download on average 5gb of crap per week, however, as soon as their server notices i have some p2p open, they put me on their lowest available priority, and latencies go up as high as 2000ms. I don't think it's my router, although i haven't tested a direct connection to my pc.

#3 September 23 2008

crazy

Hey,

I would disagree with Karim, I am with visp too, and I am a hardcore wow gamer if I can say it like that. I play on european servers, usually 2 accout in the same time, and the latency in the range of 150 to 500, depending on the hour of the day.
The connection on my side is stable, no "craping out every few hours", but one thing, if there is a problem it take a lot to fix... that is THE bad thing with VISP.. support is really slow, or incompetent I don't want to know.

You can ask a lot, and you will receive a lot of different feedback, go ahead and try them for yourself, you'd made your own opinion about them.

#4 September 24 2008

rolf

Good connection, but some minor trouble with http proxies... and p2p shaping
Yeah the main problem is bad support... they tell u theyll call back then they dont...
Also beware the agressive marketing strategies.

Last edited by rolf (September 24 2008)

#5 September 24 2008

nuclearcat

Guys, if possible, can you tell me which time you usually call support? Since my time till 17 (sure i stay sometimes later), till 17 there is good guys. After 17... there is some guys i want to kick their butt. And if you confirm me that most of calls problem AFTER 17 - i will work seriously today with boss regarding support.

#6 September 24 2008

---()--()---

crazy wrote:

Hey,

I would disagree with Karim, I am with visp too, and I am a hardcore wow gamer if I can say it like that. I play on european servers, usually 2 accout in the same time, and the latency in the range of 150 to 500, depending on the hour of the day.
The connection on my side is stable, no "craping out every few hours", but one thing, if there is a problem it take a lot to fix... that is THE bad thing with VISP.. support is really slow, or incompetent I don't want to know.

You can ask a lot, and you will receive a lot of different feedback, go ahead and try them for yourself, you'd made your own opinion about them.

Can you summarize me the latency in regards to the time of the day ? ( Which times is it playable, which times it reaches 500 ms )

About the problems that "take too long to be fixed", how frequently do they occur ?

What about the supposed fast internal lebanese gaming servers for VISP subscribers ? Are there people who play on them ? I am mainly a DotA/Counter-strike gamer... how many people should I expect on the Leb server playing these games ?

Furthermore, how fast are the downloads if I d/l from the "v-enjoy" ftp ?

Last edited by ---()--()--- (September 24 2008)

#7 September 24 2008

crazy

Hey,

For the latency it is playable all day long, for world of warcraft since I don't play counter. I once played DoTA with friends online using garena, and it was ok.
The problem that take too long to be fixed occur rarely, I've been with VISP for 2-3 years now, and the problems were rare.

For the fast internal lebanese gaming server, I tried it once, but I got feedback from a lot of friends saying that they don't have problem with that, I know in the begining there was some issues, but I think now they fixed it.
The how many people, you can see how many people are playing online now with the web page of the gaming server, you can find it on their website.

For the download from the v-enjoy (it is not ftp), if you are directly subscribing with VISP, no reseller between, and you live near them, it is really fast, I don't know how much because I am through a reseller, so the download is normal, like usual download.

For nuclearcat:
The problem with the support is that there is no following for the problem. If the problem persist the client have to shout a little to have the problem followed to the source and fixed, that what happened with my reseller and me as I explained, I remind you the problem was there for more than a month.

One more thing for the OP, the most frequent problem is web browsing, I get a lot network error, but I don't care much, this problem is fixed almost instantly.

#8 September 24 2008

karim

nuclearcat wrote:

Guys, if possible, can you tell me which time you usually call support? Since my time till 17 (sure i stay sometimes later), till 17 there is good guys. After 17... there is some guys i want to kick their butt. And if you confirm me that most of calls problem AFTER 17 - i will work seriously today with boss regarding support.

@nuc, sorry for being over-aggressive in the other thread, and thanks for making it finally work out.

Regarless, I still believe you need to work a lot more on your support team. It doesn't matter at which time I call, although I almost always call during work hours, so by 4pm max. I had been having the youtube issue for more than 3 month, and every time i called (about twice a week) i got the same reply: there is nothing wrong on our end. send us an email about it.

Oh, and your p2p traffic shaping is horrible.

I once called to complain about NOT HAVING a working connection at home. You know what the guy answered me??? He told me to send them an email about it. I swear i did not make that up.

@crazy: i never said latencies were bad on VISP, i said i didn't give a damn about them, and concerning my connection crapping out, it actually doesn't always do it, but when it starts, it doesn't end. I might be my router for all i know...

#9 September 24 2008

nuclearcat

karim - is your account is ends with @visp.net.lb ? If not - it is actually trouble of your reseller, if you dont have connection at all. Resellers take reasonable % to maintain their own networks.

P.S. Expect some difficulties today and few days more, i have to move some proxies ASAP to another location. They are already moved, but i am rebalancing bandwidth now.

#10 September 24 2008

---()--()---

Nuclearcat, can you provide me with information about V-enjoy ? Can't people accessing VISP via reseller benefit from V-enjoy ?

Furthermore, what can you tell me about the Counterstrike/Warcraft3/Quake3 VISP servers ? Do they get traffic ?

=================

crazy wrote:

I once played DoTA with friends online using garena, and it was ok.

Can you tell me more ? "It was OK" can mean a lot of things, you know .

I intend to play DotA/Call of Duty 4 on Garena ! In fact, the main reason I am getting VISP for is for playing DotA @ Garena with respectable pings.

Cheers.

#11 September 24 2008

crazy

It mainly depends on the server you are playing ---()--()--- (... not a simple nick ayy).
I played on a us server, and it was playable. Not like in a lan network, but if you all have the same problem (the players) then you are ok, if you are the only one, then too bad for you^^

#12 September 25 2008

karim

nuclearcat wrote:

karim - is your account is ends with @visp.net.lb ? If not - it is actually trouble of your reseller, if you dont have connection at all. Resellers take reasonable % to maintain their own networks.

P.S. Expect some difficulties today and few days more, i have to move some proxies ASAP to another location. They are already moved, but i am rebalancing bandwidth now.

My accounts end with @visp.net.lb, i have the biggest account you guys had available (512k down). Burst is very nice when downloading small files. I believe the bucket size is around 7mb, it would be much nicer if it was a bit bigger though. (i know, you can never satisfy everyone )

Oh, and i notice that my download speeds through v-enjoy are limited just like the rest of my connection. isn't v-enjoy supposed to be unlimited or smtg?

btw, it looks like you finally fixed the youtube issue. it now works without the proxy you provided me with. thx. (:

#13 September 25 2008

nuclearcat

---()--()--- wrote:

Nuclearcat, can you provide me with information about V-enjoy ? Can't people accessing VISP via reseller benefit from V-enjoy ?

Only people who is connected to our wire/fiber network can archieve wire speed. All who is connected over wireless links is limited by account speed. Because it's difficult to pump serious speeds over wireless in Lebanon (interference, and coastal/high humidity/high temperature city bad for high freq (around 60Ghz) links).

Furthermore, what can you tell me about the Counterstrike/Warcraft3/Quake3 VISP servers ? Do they get traffic ?

Counterstrike is almost always full, there is a lot of players.
Others i dont know, it's a bit not my field, other guys working there.

Last edited by nuclearcat (September 25 2008)

#14 September 25 2008

nuclearcat

karim wrote:

Oh, and i notice that my download speeds through v-enjoy are limited just like the rest of my connection. isn't v-enjoy supposed to be unlimited or smtg?

btw, it looks like you finally fixed the youtube issue. it now works without the proxy you provided me with. thx. (:

For youtube i am going to increase satisfaction level seriously at peak time.
Probably minor improvement will be tomorrow, and major improvement during 1-2 weeks.
Instead of buying extremely expensive cache appliances (cost of biggest BlueCoat proxy is $300K USD), i am buying monster hardware (Sun servers, AAC-RAID, 8GB RAM, SAS HDD's, Two latest Quad Core Xeon) and doing software on my own. It takes more time, but in result who paid 300k in lebanon, had to cut down this expenses from something else.

#15 September 25 2008

---()--()---

nuclearcat wrote:

Only people who is connected to our wire/fiber network can archieve wire speed. All who is connected over wireless links is limited by account speed. Because it's difficult to pump serious speeds over wireless in Lebanon (interference, and coastal/high humidity/high temperature city bad for high freq (around 60Ghz) links).]

Does this affect the gaming ? IE : If I am getting VISP's service via a reseller, will that slow down my latencies for both private and international servers ?

Counterstrike is almost always full, there is a lot of players.
Others i dont know, it's a bit not my field, other guys working there.

Can you ask the other dudes about it ? Approximately how many people play Warcraft3/Dota on the Leb servers, and how fast are the latencies on these servers ?

Thanks.

#16 September 27 2008

nuclearcat

Sorry, just being busy this days, i can't think games also :-D Too much problems on my head already.
Regarding games, better to ask http://games.visp.net.lb/ , there is forum
They answer after while, but faster than me.

#17 October 27 2008

---()--()---

I'm on VISP right now.

Not bad, not bad at all. The connection is slow as fuck in the afternoon though, but they said it's just a temporary thing because they're upgrading and shit.

Nuclearcat, what's happening ?

Last edited by ---()--()--- (October 27 2008)

#18 December 30 2008

teodorgeorgiev

For the games.

On CS there are several servers, at peak times we had all 3 servers full (20 people on each). I doubt it is like this now.
WoW - 70-90 (sometimes up to 110) people sometimes.

Warcraft3 / DoTa / BattleField1942 / CoD are barely playable, unfortunately. Just the people have stuck with CS / WoW.  Face it. We did so.

Support... What can I say? The majority of clever and smart people left Lebanon for good (and with a reason). Get it the simple way - if 10 goats send you their CVs, how can you hire a single monkey out of them?  :lol:

I doubt the support staff is better in any of the other ISPs.

#19 December 30 2008

rolf

you should outsource your support to india

just kidding...

#20 January 7 2009

rolf

Regarding that other topic where it was said bad words about VISP support (really... karim, did you have to say that?  )... I somehow identify...
I had problems with VISP, for example I wanted to be routed directly (not through transparent proxy), and I did requests to support. They would say okay, then I guess id get routed directly for one day... and then it would revert back to regular routing the next day. This is just an example... It is that bullshitting the customer support that would piss me off, and Im sure that pissed off karim...
They would say OK OK and it will work for a day, or then would even say OK, and make promises and change nothing at all... either tell me it cant be done or do it seriously!
Nuc, i agree its hard to get feedback from lebanese customers. Its not that lebanese customer doesnt give feedback, its that they give it to the wrong person, and they keep giving it to the wrong person, despite the fact that that they get bullshitted by that person again and again.
I never contacted nuc with these problems... I am not sure why... and I guess a lot of other persons do the same. I guess we dont want to bother the good persons with our demands.
So anyway my recommendation to VISP is that they start recording support calls (including numbers), and hire one person that will randomly follow up support cases (to assess performance of the support crew), and randomly call back customers to ask if theyre satisfied.

Last edited by rolf (January 7 2009)

#21 January 7 2009

teodorgeorgiev

Once again:

===================================================
Support... What can I say? The majority of clever and smart people left Lebanon for good (and with a reason). Get it the simple way - if 10 goats send you their CVs, how can you hire a single monkey out of them?  lol

I doubt the support staff is better in any of the other ISPs.
===================================================

Simply said - ok, you will record it, you will know who works crappy, you fire him/them and then what? 

Need it yet simplier said in order to understand?

Last edited by teodorgeorgiev (January 7 2009)

#22 January 7 2009

rolf

I understand...
Personally I believe that people will work better if they know they are observed, and that their performance is measured.
I guess this is the way things go in the customer service industries, customer service employees are often hypocrites. You may find some good ones, but from my perspective most would beat the customer with the phone handset if they could. Maybe they take it too personal, or maybe they get exhausted by the job.

#23 January 8 2009

BashLogic

I have to disagree with you on this subject. this is a two edge sword, follow ups "monitoring/observing" is an act that is more efficient when used to find new means of optimizing. as you already know that continuously proactive actions encourage development and secure the continuity of operations.

"observing" or breathing down employees neck of how efficient they are is actually a "patch up" to the failure of misjudging the employees character during recruitment. these characteristics to an extent should be identifiable during recruitment process.  a work contract is clear, an employee is hired to work and not hired requiring additional investments and operations to monitor and oblige work productivity and efficiency.

in such a case, the employer has failed and the employee has exploited another opportunity without developing oneself, hence the first to an extent lacks competency and the later lacks required characteristics and fails on numerous other tasks in life due to the same "poor grade" characteristics.

rolf wrote:

I understand...
Personally I believe that people will work better if they know they are observed, and that their performance is measured.
I guess this is the way things go in the customer service industries, customer service employees are often hypocrites. You may find some good ones, but from my perspective most would beat the customer with the phone handset if they could. Maybe they take it too personal, or maybe they get exhausted by the job.

#24 January 11 2009

teodorgeorgiev

beeee

Last edited by teodorgeorgiev (January 11 2009)

#25 January 11 2009

teodorgeorgiev

Mir :)

peace and patience :)

1. Bulgarians have been a part of the Turkish Ottoman empire (against their will, of course) for more than 500 years. We have a lot of turks in the country (more than million and a half). I know a little of turkish.

2. The proverb means "Everyone is giving advices, but noone is giving bread". It is not insulting. Instead of giving advices, which are obvious, one could better "give us some smart guys/girls" :)

3. Me and Denys have "hands on" experience for apprx more than 9 years (each). Why the people here think that we do not know how a support service should work. Along with the IVR, trouble-ticketing system, call recording and so on?
If you, Mir, are a professional 'shef' (cook) for 9 years and a regular person comes to advice you on how to prepare your dishes, I am also sure that at some point your patience will end :)

4. The Lebanese are not stupid.  If you browse through the history of my posts, you could find my exact opinion:

Lebanese are much smarter than all other nations in the area,  BUT -> THE MAJORITY OF THE SMART LEBANESE  ... HAVE LEFT LEBANON in the past few years.

5. VISP is one of the few ISPs in the market, who (was) is keen to give the "fresh" guys/girls a chance, cause all other ISP require "hands-on experience". And where to get this hands-on experience from since everyone requires one before you start?
I can refer you to people who have been given or offered such a chance :)

But so be it, I will edit my post :)

Board footer