LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 24 2023

specility

Recommendations for things to do?

Hello Everyone,
Long story short: I should get out more and so on, but the problem is my surroundings are towns with literally nothing to do in them. Just a few shops and homes.

Rules for me:
- Can be done during daylight (anywhere between morning and 5-ish pm) because of transportation issues
- No drinks (I don't mind if the place/event serves drinks for other guests or something but that shouldn't be my main point to go. So, no clubs/pubs/bars/...)
- No long-term time commitment (like Gyms), just one-time (or few times) fun activities
- Not too expensive
- open/doable on weekends

I will start with possible options:
- Spa/ Sauna/ pool (in summer) /....
- Conventions and meetups (like developer meetings and so on)
- Dancing/Baking/Music/.... classes (recommendations are welcome)
- ma3rad l kitab (if they're doing it this year)

What are some other things to do in Saida or Beirut?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by specility (February 24 2023)

#2 February 26 2023

Johnaudi

Re: Recommendations for things to do?

Although specifically stated by your rules, and you might disagree, I believe going to the gym is crucial (maybe even once a month), not for your physical health alone but for your drive to get out of the house / do other things. You will see yourself wanting to do more the moment you step out of the gym, generally more energetic (not because of physical strength improvements but because you forced yourself out of the house, might as well do X)
Moreover, you tend to meet some people that want to grab a coffee or have similar interests, it's a great social point. I once befriended a few gamers and we started having LAN parties later on. We ended up going laser tag, paintball, arcade, bowling, billiards, bouldering/wall climbing, hiking, road-tripping/bbq's, etc.

My particular answer to the question is: lower your rules' standards, make some exceptions on some slightly longer-term commitments, treat yourself with an expensive experience every once in a while, and try to get a ride later at night with a friend or a cab if necessary. If the rules are set up solely for financial reasons, I would lower the more entertaining options (Spa/Sauna etc.) and focus on something that might help generate income to fund your limitations.

#3 February 27 2023

specility

Johnaudi wrote:

My particular answer to the question is: lower your rules' standards, make some exceptions on some slightly longer-term commitments, treat yourself with an expensive experience every once in a while, and try to get a ride later at night with a friend or a cab if necessary. If the rules are set up solely for financial reasons, I would lower the more entertaining options (Spa/Sauna etc.) and focus on something that might help generate income to fund your limitations.

The time rule is set because of transportation issues (I wouldn't be able to get home after a certain time unless I start paying for private cars. That is okay once in a while but will be significant if I'm paying that every weekend).

The commitment rule is more about "I want to start with one off events to get myself used to this before committing to something long-term".
The idea was to try as many things as possible before sticking to one.
After reading your comment, I see your point about considering slightly longer-term commitment options and how it helps with building relationships with folks there. I will try searching for something that seems fun.

Thanks for the comment!

#4 February 27 2023

Guitaret

I wanted to suggest joining a Toastmasters club, it is a great social activity that is fun, will let you meet people of similar interests, and will help you improve your soft skills but the clubs are only available in Jounieh & Beirut area and only after work (7-8 pm). However, I can give you more information if you are interested.

Last edited by Guitaret (February 27 2023)

Board footer