LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 21 2023

Guitaret

Dealing with Anxiety

Needless to say that this is the disease of the current century, and most millennials have it bad to the point that we don't even talk about it. We accepted it as part of our daily life maybe perhaps we don't know how to solve it. Talking about anxiety feels like talking about climate change, there is nothing we can do about it.

When you put high pressure on a system, it blows up in the direction of its weakest point. My weakest points are binge eating & procrastination.

I eat a big amount of food in a short period of time and this happens once per day and the fact that I am aware of that did not help at all.
And of course, the nasty feeling of guilt that comes afterward, and along the way, watching yourself become unhealthy day by day, like watching yourself being eaten away by cancer.
Procrastination is a different beast that I don't want to talk about right now.

As I do appreciate this useless advice of "take it slow, do some meditation, breathing exercises, go to the gym, do some activities...", I am convinced that this problem requires a radical solution, the healthy way of solving this problem will not work for some people.
If you are a lab rat like me (doing the 9-6 job which you do not enjoy), there is little control you have over your life (despite what social media tries to motivate you nowadays)

How are you dealing with anxiety? Binge eating?
Medication? Antidepressants? Weight loss procedures?

#2 February 22 2023

sero

Re: Dealing with Anxiety

The way i deal with anxiety, or things that causes anxiety, is the worst way possible.... its by not facing things that makes me anxious (aka running away from it)

Its the worst way possible because you will develop a bad habit of running away from situations you're not comfortable with and you'll be stuck in your safe zone.

My anxiety is new. It started in 2019 during Covid period, increased during port explosion, and increased more now with the earthquake situation.

Example of things i do to avoid anxiety:
During covid I stopped going to indoor places or big gatherings.
After port explosion I moved out of beirut and rented a place in a village
Now, and due to earthquakes i moved again. I rented a ground floor place in a new village where i can go to an open space in few sec if an earthquake event occurs.
I also developed travel anxiety out of nowhere... i stopped travelling for vacations

I keep a healthy life style, i eat healthy food and exercise regularly.

#3 February 22 2023

scorz

sero wrote:

I rented a ground floor place in a new village where i can go to an open space in few sec if an earthquake event occurs.

Serious question, are there any more available GF places to rent where you are?

#4 February 22 2023

sero

scorz wrote:
sero wrote:

I rented a ground floor place in a new village where i can go to an open space in few sec if an earthquake event occurs.

Serious question, are there any more available GF places to rent where you are?

There are no available places. I would recommend you look into resorts. My current rent is for 3 month and i will be moving (again) to a GF in a resort in June. This way i can lower my anxiety and enjoy the beach at the same time.

#5 February 22 2023

Guitaret

@sero I appreciate you sharing this, it seems that this is affecting many aspects of your life. Thank you for reminding me that I do that as well: I don't face the present's issues, I just leave them for my future self to handle, what a terrible idea.

The difference between both of us is that I still have an active social life, I always say yes to invites and social gatherings, I am trying to decrease my introverted tendencies. I am still making progress in my life despite the fact that I am not enjoying even the good parts of it.

I sure hope that one day I will find a solution.

Best wishes.

#6 February 22 2023

Guitaret

Are you all sure that GF is the safest place to be? Doesn't it hold the weight of all the floors above and it is the most critical place to be in case of collapse?

#7 February 23 2023

Salloum

Guitaret wrote:

Are you all sure that GF is the safest place to be? Doesn't it hold the weight of all the floors above and it is the most critical place to be in case of collapse?

If a building is in bad condition you will not be safe on any floor but the ground floor is definitely the safest. Think about it, if the thing collapses and you are on a higher floor, it is almost certain that you will either perish or be seriously injured. On the GF at least you have the chance to run out.
Regarding weight loss, this is something I struggled with most of my life. My peak weight was 162kg. Now I am at 93kg and still trying to push down further. To me it is a no brainer - the ONLY way to lose weight is working out. Forget eating 1200 calories, forget all these so called miracle diets. What you eat doesn't matter as much as your metabolism and your exercise. Work out with weights for 1 hour and cardio 25-30mins, 4 times a week, and try to eat as much protein as possible. And drink at least 2.5L of water a day. It's the only way.

Last edited by Salloum (February 23 2023)

#8 February 23 2023

Guitaret

Salloum wrote:

If a building is in bad condition you will not be safe on any floor but the ground floor is definitely the safest. Think about it, if the thing collapses and you are on a higher floor, it is almost certain that you will either perish or be seriously injured. On the GF at least you have the chance to run out.

All the articles I found on this disagree "When a building does collapse, the safest place to be is on the top floor, and the most dangerous is the ground level." Maybe right now people are dead ready for an earthquake and can evacuate quickly but in most cases (99.99%), you won't have an idea what is going on, and in the case of collapse (bad building, a very strong earthquake...), I would rather be on the top floor and not under thousands of tons of rebels. Let's not forget that the last big one hit at 4:15 am, how ready to evacuate can you be at that hour? :S

Salloum wrote:

Regarding weight loss, this is something I struggled with most of my life. My peak weight was 162kg. Now I am at 93kg and still trying to push down further. To me it is a no brainer - the ONLY way to lose weight is working out. Forget eating 1200 calories, forget all these so called miracle diets. What you eat doesn't matter as much as your metabolism and your exercise. Work out with weights for 1 hour and cardio 25-30mins, 4 times a week, and try to eat as much protein as possible. And drink at least 2.5L of water a day. It's the only way.

Such golden advice, and may I ask if you have a set fixed schedule for that? Is it morning or after work?

Last edited by Guitaret (February 23 2023)

#9 February 24 2023

Salloum

I work in consulting so I don't have a set schedule since my work schedule is very sporadic and annoying. I go whenever I can. If you are able to have a cemented schedule that you will abide by, I suggest you do that. It helps gain discipline.

Board footer