LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 6 2022

specility

Possible Internet Solutions?

Given the recent issues with Alfa and Ogero shutting down towers. What are my options for a decent stable internet? (mainly for work reasons such as meetings and whatnot)

I have heard that corporates and certain offices (such as coworking offices or rental offices) have non-ogero related internet that is quite stable. Any idea how much they cost or who to contact?

I live in a small town towards the south and my current internet is from a local provider that is decent but unstable at times. I used to use 4g for work but recently I have been getting literally 0 signal (tower issues, tried multiple phones and it is not just mine). I need something more consistent moving forwards.

How are you remote workers dealing with this?

Last edited by specility (September 6 2022)

#2 September 6 2022

nuclearcat

Re: Possible Internet Solutions?

I believe it is rumors. Nobody in his sane mind will run any "non-Ogero internet", since it is highly illegal and they might end up in prison (read articles about "illegal internet" and how Ogero engineers was helping to punish those who run it).
I'm remote worker too, same time i have still old connections to ISPs(so i have a bit more ways to stay connected), but even for me situation is gravely bad.
If nothing is done by govt - your only choice unfortunately is either get VSAT - but then you break the law and will have high risk having criminal sentence (which will be final nail to chance of emigration), or is to move to another country.

#3 September 6 2022

specility

Not interested in breaking the laws.
I was thinking like some sort of legal ISP that specializes in stable networks (even if a bit pricier than normal ones) or some pocket wifi or similar type of things.

#4 September 7 2022

nuclearcat

The only thing you can do - diversify your source by ISP who takes internet from different centrales. At moment Ogero goes down in specific districts, so for example when it is down at south beirut, ISPs in north beirut keep working.
But if their main POP will go down... there is no solution and it is game over, unfortunately.

#5 September 7 2022

specility

I see :(
Thanks for the suggestion!

#6 September 7 2022

GeorgeN

nuclearcat wrote:

The only thing you can do - diversify your source by ISP who takes internet from different centrales. At moment Ogero goes down in specific districts, so for example when it is down at south beirut, ISPs in north beirut keep working.
But if their main POP will go down... there is no solution and it is game over, unfortunately.

To my understanding all the people using "cable" internet and not DSL are still up and running. Spoke to a few of my friends and they are all up and running. Also anyone who has wdsl or microwave are still fully up and running as usual (not sure if those are the same thing)

#7 September 7 2022

new_user

specility wrote:

Given the recent issues with Alfa and Ogero shutting down towers. What are my options for a decent stable internet? (mainly for work reasons such as meetings and whatnot)

I have heard that corporates and certain offices (such as coworking offices or rental offices) have non-ogero related internet that is quite stable. Any idea how much they cost or who to contact?

I live in a small town towards the south and my current internet is from a local provider that is decent but unstable at times. I used to use 4g for work but recently I have been getting literally 0 signal (tower issues, tried multiple phones and it is not just mine). I need something more consistent moving forwards.

How are you remote workers dealing with this?

If your 4g is with alfa, try getting a touch sim (or vice versa), it might have a good signal and stable service.

#8 September 7 2022

specility

new_user wrote:

If your 4g is with alfa, try getting a touch sim (or vice versa), it might have a good signal and stable service.

That could work for the short term but not in the long term. As far as I know, both Alfa and Mtc are consultants for the Ministry of Telecommunications. Meaning whatever issues are between Alfa and MoT are also between Mtc and MoT. It is a matter of time before Mtc starts going on strike and shutting towers (assuming they haven't already started) if those issues aren't resolved.

#9 September 7 2022

nuclearcat

GeorgeN wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

To my understanding all the people using "cable" internet and not DSL are still up and running. Spoke to a few of my friends and they are all up and running. Also anyone who has wdsl or microwave are still fully up and running as usual (not sure if those are the same thing)

If cable ISP POP (which is over Ogero exchange) will be down - they will go down too. Sure it is more rare than Ogero DSL, but still it happen.

Board footer