LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 4 2022

infiniteloop

Searching for Asus power adapter

Hello
I am searching for an Asus power adapter for Router, 33W 1.75A 19v
Any shop selling them?

#2 August 4 2022

nuclearcat

Re: Searching for Asus power adapter

IMHO you can use any 19V (common between displays, laptop power supplies, and many universal can do) that can provide more or equal to 1.75A, but you need to make sure connector same and polarity inside connector same too.

#3 August 5 2022

infiniteloop

nuclearcat wrote:

IMHO you can use any 19V (common between displays, laptop power supplies, and many universal can do) that can provide more or equal to 1.75A, but you need to make sure connector same and polarity inside connector same too.

I need to make sure the amp is 1.75 no?
More could burn the router?

#4 August 5 2022

nuclearcat

No, it is stating max possible power that this supply can output, by design, without issues.
Using less rating might make power supply overheat or choke, but more will not harm, as device usually takes as much as it wants only.

The only exception in such cases is constant current devices, for example some rare LED drivers where they state voltage range, but fixed power, or some heating elements and etc. But never digital electronic devices.

#5 August 5 2022

infiniteloop

Ok
I found a 12v 3a 36w power adapter with same size of plug, so less voltage but more amp making it 3w more than the stock 33w power supply, what do you think?

#6 August 5 2022

bobo619

You need to match voltage and A>=1.75A

#7 August 5 2022

infiniteloop

So an universal adapter with  selectable 19v should work?

#8 August 7 2022

AvoK95

01 333783 ext. 203 (Service Center Ext.)

Middle East IT - Dealer of Asus Routers in Lebanon

#9 August 7 2022

nuclearcat

infiniteloop wrote:

So an universal adapter with  selectable 19v should work?

Yes
But keep attention on polarity. Usually barrel plug - center positive, but some vendors make crazy opposite...

Last edited by nuclearcat (August 7 2022)

#10 August 11 2022

xazbrat

OP, if your so inclined, check out some of the local smaller electronics retailers.  At the beginning of the power crisis, they were making power adapters which included small lead acid batteries and configured the voltages. polarities etc for you.  I had one done for our 'handy' phones and the battery would last more than 30 hours without a charge.  We had to get rid of it unfortunately because the maid who comes into the house each week is clumsy as hell, but the solution would world if it is away from clumsy maids and small children.  Also, not a work of art, but got the job done.

#11 August 11 2022

infiniteloop

Thank you all
I have found an original asus adapter
Btw I am pretty sure that the 12v 3a adapter was in the box, so they swapped the original one with this cheap Chinese one either at the asus wakil, the shop or at asus Middle East. The box was in blister nylon so most probably swapped at the regional or country wakil

#12 August 13 2022

AvoK95

infiniteloop wrote:

Thank you all
I have found an original asus adapter
Btw I am pretty sure that the 12v 3a adapter was in the box, so they swapped the original one with this cheap Chinese one either at the asus wakil, the shop or at asus Middle East. The box was in blister nylon so most probably swapped at the regional or country wakil

Most if not all electronics nowadays are not carrying factory branding anymore on their adapters due to cost savings.

One of the most popular examples of such things are Acer power adapters for their laptops, you can buy 3 laptops from Acer directly and 3 of them would have different branding on their adapters, even though you can buy 3 other acer laptops and 3 of them would have the Acer branding on the power adapter.

It's just a matter of if they wanted save costs in the branding or not.

You can contact Asus directly for the matter to confirm this.

#13 August 13 2022

nuclearcat

With laptops situation is different, some have authentication chip in their power adapters.
Here is about Dell: https://imgur.com/gallery/absz7QI

Board footer