LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 29 2022

YK303

explanation for having that much DSL errors

getting 3k errors every <= 1 min sometimes even more errors in less time
my quota is unlimited GB and with speed <=8Mbps
is this related to ogero issue or from me

i changed the modem and tried interleaving on and off and still having the same thing soo much errors that makes the network unstable at all and very slow

DSL

speedtest
speedtest

Last edited by YK303 (July 29 2022)

#2 August 1 2022

nuclearcat

Re: explanation for having that much DSL errors

The only way to exclude your wiring issues, disconnecting your line (temporary), and hooking DSL modem in box where Ogero comes to building and monitoring for a while, if speed / errors will be better.
Other way is trying to locate noise _if_ it is probably in your building, like some faulty lamp, elevator, UPS or etc.
Bad part with Ogero DSL, their demarcation point is on that box, so anything after that box to you - they are not responsible.

Last edited by nuclearcat (August 1 2022)

#3 August 1 2022

DG

Nuclearcat makes a good point. Trying what he suggested will help you determine where the problem lies:
a) Building internal wiring / electrical interference (from building box to your apartment).
OR
b) Street external interference  (from DSLAM to your building box).

You see, your connection is synchronizing dangerously close to its max attainable rate. This is normally not a problem when the line is clean or when the attenuation is low but, in Lebanon where the lines are usually problematic at best, this becomes an apparent issue.

So, what you can do is try to increase the target downstream SNR margin (which will reduce your download speed but should provide much more stability and less errors) IF the modem allows it via CLI (meaning you need to telnet to the command line interface).

There is actually a good guide on Lebgeeks here on how to do this.
Of course you need to find the commands that would work on your modem, again if the modem allows such a thing as not all modems do.

When I was in Lebanon during Covid in 2021 Ogero had doubled the speed for everyone. Being on the unlimited 2Mbps initially, I was automatically transferred to the 4Mbps plan. While this was great, it made my line unstable.

Personally, being an online gamer, I cared much more about line stability than speed as 2Mbps was more than fine for WoW and other games (even 40 man raiding in Classic WoW or 40 man battlegrounds).
I did what I just explained to you above (after buying an Asus DSL-N16 from PCandParts because my initial modem did not support this tweak) and it worked wonders. I never had more than a few CRC / HEC errors per hour or any line dropout after that.

Last edited by DG (August 2 2022)

#4 August 2 2022

nuclearcat

DG wrote:

When I was in Lebanon during Covid in 2021 Ogero had doubled the speed for everyone. Being on the unlimited 2Mbps initially, I was automatically transferred to the 4Mbps plan. While this was great, it made my line unstable.

Btw Covid lockdowns did avalanche effect on noise, as DSL noise proportional to amount of packets and since everybody as home, it increased noise (cross-talk).
Also, as i recall Ogero caps unlimited services by limiting DSL downstream speed (is that correct?), which actually makes spectral efficiency worse (Hz/bit), so this makes things worse as well if there is too many such capped users, but i am not entirely sure as spectral model of DSL is very complex subject and heavily depends on modulation.

#5 August 2 2022

YK303

nuclearcat wrote:

The only way to exclude your wiring issues, disconnecting your line (temporary), and hooking DSL modem in box where Ogero comes to building and monitoring for a while, if speed / errors will be better.
Other way is trying to locate noise _if_ it is probably in your building, like some faulty lamp, elevator, UPS or etc.
Bad part with Ogero DSL, their demarcation point is on that box, so anything after that box to you - they are not responsible.

I am not anymore using the internal wiring, I did an external cable to box
Btw ogero did monitor my line for 48 hours and they said my line is the best where I live, so I think I will do what you said goona test directly from the box with the router.

#6 August 3 2022

nuclearcat

Even external wires might get interference.
Btw, now with all this electricity issues, people install noname power inverters, and those devices very often dont get well with DSL. Check also if Ogero wires coming to the box are far enough from power wiring. Sometimes if you see anything suspicious - better to try shutting it down and checking if errors situation changed.
Even cheap CFL or LED light bulb hanging nearby might make a mess, (example: https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslro … t=all&vc=1 )

Board footer