LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 9 2022

Guitaret

Found a Meteorite

Hello fellow geeks,

I believe I have found 2 iron meteorites (among other old rocks) in my garden.
They are 70% heavier than rocks, they attract magnets, and they look like the ones on the internet.
Total weight: 910 grams.

Who knows about them in Lebanon? Are they worth anything? Is there a way to sell them in Lebanon?

I am going to Europe soon, do you think I have a better chance of taking them with me and selling them there?

thank you

#2 May 10 2022

nuclearcat

Re: Found a Meteorite

https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/i … e-testing/
and especially link: https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/i … on-nickel/
You can read there, which ones valuable as well :)

#3 May 25 2022

rolf

I don't know, I always collect metallic-looking rocks, but none of them react to magnets.

Can you share photos?

I am going to Europe soon, do you think I have a better chance of taking them with me and selling them there?

What do you think? You can sell on Ebay and ship across Europe, instead for having a market of a 6 million poor people, you have a market of what, 400 million rich people?

Last time I sold some parts from France but I was only there for like 3 weeks. After I was back to Lebanon one of the parts was returned but there was nobody there to receive it so it was kept at the post office and they would not accept to release it without seeing my ID, which was impossible because I was in Lebanon.

The rules are particularly annoying in France, if it was another country it would probably be simpler.

In the end I bothered my friend and lost money.

So if you want to sell in Europe plan in advance for the possibility that the item will be returned, post in advance to win time, it is much easier if you are staying there for a month or more.

Last edited by rolf (May 25 2022)

#4 June 3 2022

Guitaret

Alrighty, thank you guys for the input.

rolf wrote:

What do you think? You can sell on Ebay and ship across Europe, instead for having a market of a 6 million poor people, you have a market of what, 400 million rich people?

Exactly, but I am worried about airport security allowing me to take it on the plane, they are metal and easily detected.
Should I put them in the carry-on?

#5 July 24 2022

Guitaret

Here are the pics:

1.jpg
2.jpg

Board footer