LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 6 2022

Toufic

Solar / Green energy recommendation in Lebanon

Dear Geeks,

With rising fees by generator owners mafia in some areas of Lebanon and their refusal to install meters in parallel to increasing cuts in daily provision under the alleged need to increase prices every damn month so they can get the fuel.... i must install a system for my parent's house who are both old/retired and are barely making it until the end of the month.

Any first hand experience with companies that you would recommend?

I've did some research and everyone claims to be the best/optimal in terms of reliance, quality long term and maintenance.

But as you know, in Lebanon, talk is easy when it comes to companies trying to sell you whatever.

If anyone here has any sort of recommendation, it would be highly appreciated because this is just getting surreal in terms of what we're being asked to paid for very basic usage of daily electricity.

Option one: water heater system (that's an inevitable installment i will be doing)
Option two: a full system that can do the water heating and provide around 5Amp for night time consumption

Thank you in advance for any help or support.

#2 February 7 2022

xazbrat

Re: Solar / Green energy recommendation in Lebanon

Honestly, the easiest option is something like a solar battery like the Jackery or Ecoflow.  I have seen the latter on OLX for around $1500.  The great thing about these devices is that they are portable and can be charged in a variety of ways like from solar, wind, AC power or even a car charger.  They are better than a UPS in that they will be able to handle some load like running the water heater or refrigerator and if you get solar panels later on, maybe both at the same time. 

If you want to get your parents up and running and plan on running a solar system later on, do your research and get a really good inverter with maybe 4 batteries (2 would probably work if they got regular power) and that would get them a UPS like system with room to upgrade down the line.  I think 1 battery will run a fridge 8-10 hours, add some overhead for other things in the house and you can get them up and running with minimum maintenance and upkeep.   Spend a decent amount on the inverter (maybe $400) and a couple of hundred for each battery and you are off an running.  If you want to get solar panels down the line, you can add them and if they aren't needed, they still have a UPS.

#3 February 7 2022

Toufic

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I researched the EcoFlow models and safe to say the technology seems like it's the next in line to replace generators.

#4 March 25 2022

Toufic

Any recommendation for companies installing solar systems in Lebanon?

#5 April 13 2022

Badieh

Toufic wrote:

Any recommendation for companies installing solar systems in Lebanon?

I've been looking for one for sometime now. So far I haven't found a reputable company that is well recommended.

This is disregarding the fact that most of them offer cheap unreliable brands unfortunately.

#6 April 14 2022

beezer

There is a company in Lebanon, backed by European products, and are direct line to manufacturers, but they're expensive.

Smallest system I think is 5 KVA, 5.5 KW of solar and 12.5 KWh lithium batteries .13,000 USD

#7 April 25 2022

Toufic

beezer wrote:

There is a company in Lebanon, backed by European products, and are direct line to manufacturers, but they're expensive.

Smallest system I think is 5 KVA, 5.5 KW of solar and 12.5 KWh lithium batteries .13,000 USD

Mind sharing the company's contact information so i can look it up? (I am most probably installing with someone who was recommended by a trusted friend in the next month unless this company might be able to offer something better)

#8 April 27 2022

xazbrat

If you can, hold off on buying the panels for a couple of months.  I was talking to a friend who sells panels and he is telling me that there is about a 30% premium on panels based on the wattage.  He showed me a 540 watt panel at his place and told me it was selling now for $260 and a couple of months ago, a bit over $200.  There are supposed to be a few big shipments coming in starting in mid June so prices should come down after that.

If you can't wait, just be aware of this cost component.  Also, batteries are selling at a slight premium, but nothing like the panels.

#9 April 28 2022

DrSwigSlip

xazbrat wrote:

If you can, hold off on buying the panels for a couple of months.  I was talking to a friend who sells panels and he is telling me that there is about a 30% premium on panels based on the wattage.  He showed me a 540 watt panel at his place and told me it was selling now for $260 and a couple of months ago, a bit over $200.  There are supposed to be a few big shipments coming in starting in mid June so prices should come down after that.

If you can't wait, just be aware of this cost component.  Also, batteries are selling at a slight premium, but nothing like the panels.

Let me say to you, this is pure Lebanese mind! I know you wont belive anything from me, and it is cool.
This dude is playing with you. There is some part of truth in what he said, about a lot of shipments arriving soon and all that, but about price and all that, it is totally another story!!
There is everyday 2 to 3 shipments entering to Lebanese port, maybe not necessarily Panels, but at least Solar system equiments!!
About Panels, you need to be carefull because mostly present in the market actually are not 540W. That is also why the final cost of the installation is getting less than before...
What happened, is than during winter, 540W panels were disponible into the market, and not lot were jumping into solar installation, so their price dropped (some took adavantage of that), and now that summer is starting everybody wana jump into it, but surprise surprise, there are no more 540W model available... Maybe some got, but I am here talking generally!
So that is why most of them (who are installling solar) are saying wait wait, there are better panels coming... I did not say this dude is saying something wrong here, simply when people are saying that, it is not only for your good, but for their pockets also!! most people say that because they want potential clients to wait and to work with them!! come on guys, we are all lebaneses, and we all know, how peoples are thinking here......
Now about 540W price, I can say to you that I am running a solar system from 10.01.21.  540W panels costed 230$ each.
Maybe those coming are gona be cheaper, it is you and your luck. Yeah you gona say 200$ are cheaper than 230$, and I already agree on that, but time is always running, and prices change...

About main post, if you are looking for a trusted company, final bill are gona be very salty, you can go up above 10K easially. A friend worked with a compagny from Saida and final bill was around 15K.

My recommendation is to find few that are installing solar in your region, and to study them! What I mean? you should ask them what are the model/mark they gona install ? From that you can already know it is a serious dude or no? Maybe you got some relatives, or friends that installed in your region? Check with them and study each "Compagny" , sorry compagny is much, cause now everybody is jumping into it!! Even the gardener that doesnt know shit about electricity!!
Solar is not that hard, check what they gona install and check about equipment on net, even in 1 evening, you can collect a lot knowledge about solar...
Last word, run away from those saying gona give you 20A or 25A !! When I hear that bullshit, it is hurting a lot!
Damn, solar energy got another metric, read about it, it is like talking about sand in Amperage!!! I am saying that only to be prepared about any seller/ compagny... Some are catching clients by saying that be Amps number, and after they are learning true shit the hard way...
Do your homework!
Jumping into solar system is a complete new life style at home, and also self restriction, and so on, also about consuption use...
Good Luck

Last edited by DrSwigSlip (April 28 2022)

Board footer