LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#776 August 24 2021

xazbrat

Re: Shipping from abroad (share your experience)

anyaddress2014 wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

paid in usd right ?

The order was in USD, correct.  BION, it was some OTC drugs for my parents .  Such things are getting harder to get these days, so I bought $100 of them and they shipped here to my surprise.   I wouldn't normally order something like this though, but these are extraordinary times

could you till me which site you use to order

I used https://binge.com.lb/ to order since their minimum order for free delivery is $100.  Just keep in mind if you want a certain drug, put in the active ingredient in the search to get even more options---for Tylenol for example, put acetaminophen in the search engine.  You get the generics, but really no difference but in name and better prices.

#777 November 19 2021

ggtks

ggtks wrote:

I have a handful of packages from Ali coming to Leb (relatives abroad are a precious help), will share statistics on how long things are taking. Will also note things like "extra" fees or whatever. I've heard rumors of these things lately.

Libanpost has been a class act for years in my experience with the occasional customs hiccup but with the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if that was no longer the case now. I'm seeing a lot of people mention the tracking numbers not showing up in LiPos's system, honestly I've always used parcel tracking services to scan multiple couriers and give me the full timeline. YMMV depending on shipping provider obviously.

What's interesting is that there are packages from China that are getting to Lebanon within less than two weeks. This was never the case for me in the past. The worst one is the package that spent 10 days in transit with twice that time in customs.

Also, ShopAndShip fees at a 6000 rate sounds like highway robbery. Maybe it's time to make an account?

ggtks wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

anybody received anything recently?

Got a package from Fedex this morning--I don't hold much faith in Libanpost.

The courriers (Fedex, Aramex, etc) are still running, Libanpost is functional but slower than ever. Still haven’t recieved anything, according to their customer service there’s a very large number of packages being sorted (especially in my area). I presume they’re understaffed and underfunded, as well as suffering from the current crises, so I do expect them to be slow.

Might have to sign up to Aramex, but truthfully I feel guilty ordering stuff online in this situation, so no clue if I’ll be using it.

Signed up for Aramex about a month ago, may start using it soon. I am worried about getting shafted by customs, but it is what it is.

I never used Aliexpress as much as I did this year, I had a lot of small items I needed for one of my jobs and there was zero supply in Lebanon for it. Thankfully I have the means to get these this way, which is something I am grateful for.

As for my many packages, here are some statistics as promised:

(used an old school BBCode table generator but it looks like LG doesn't support that.. Oh well)
Disclaimer: This is just for information, none of my figures should be taken as reference or gospel, this is just anecdotal.
All items were ordered between March and August of 2021.
I've anonymized some of the info as well.
I added the middle ranges in a non-statistical way, just by ear, because I'd say some 20% of packages are outliers in some category.

Cainiao Standard Shipping for Special Goods: Mostly smaller items

• n = 5.

• China Transit: 2-6 Days

• Overseas shipping: 8-9 Days

• Customs: 10-20 Days

• Libanpost: 35-40 Days

Cainiao Super Economy for Special Goods: Mostly smaller items

• n <10.

• China Transit: 2-4 Days

• Overseas shipping: 8-11 Days

• Customs: 52-54 Days

• Libanpost: 2 Days

Cainiao Super Economy Global: Still mostly smaller items. That's just what I get from Ali anyways.

• n = 10.

• China Transit: 4-5 Days

• Overseas shipping: 22-24 Days

• Customs: 40-70 Days

• Libanpost: 2-11 Days

China Post Registered Air Mail: Bigger, heavier items

• n <5.

• China Transit: 3-4 Days

• Overseas shipping: 8-22 Days

• Customs: 8-39 Days

• Libanpost: 2 Days

Totals:

• n <30.

• Average total days from ship date to received date: 76.6, SD 22.6

• Average China Transit: 9.2, SD 15.1

• Average Overseas Transit: 25.1, SD 18.9

• Average Days in Customs: 41.5, SD 20.3

• Average Lebanon Transit (Libanpost): 10.0, SD 20.0

There are also small packages sent through other carriers but those aren't enough to draw any conclusions from.
I had one China Post Regular Air Mail outlier that spent 100 days bouncing around China until it returned to the seller. I know the seller from previous sales (they sell items for a very specific hobby), so I immediately contacted them. They gave me the option of a refund or sending again, I went for sending again. It went through 4px and it was a breeze.

YMMV as always. My items were mostly small, cheap (~$7.9, SD $7.2) items, with one exception. I did not pay any extra fees.

TLDR: The mail system is still functional, slow but functional. Customs is slower than ever, especially with smaller packages. LibanPost will sit on your packages for a while if they are small, and then send them to you asynchronously regardless of how long customs takes. Patience is more important than ever. All the Libanpost staff I had to deal with were helpful and friendly.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck with your shipping endeavors!

Last edited by ggtks (November 19 2021)

#778 November 19 2021

zizo99

Over the past few months, I have used Aramex (ShopAndShip) quite a bit. I find them to be the best and cheapest option available, and their rates remain very affordable.

Last edited by zizo99 (November 19 2021)

#779 November 19 2021

ggtks

zizo99 wrote:

Over the past few months, I have used Aramex (ShopAndShip) quite a bit. I find them to be the best and cheapest option available, and their rates remain very affordable.

What are the shipping and customs/VAT rates nowadays? I may try them for the first time in the near future

#780 November 20 2021

infiniteloop

Aliexpress deliveries are being "fast" again, I am receiving stuff between 3 to 4 weeks after it's shipped

#781 November 20 2021

zizo99

ggtks wrote:
zizo99 wrote:

What are the shipping and customs/VAT rates nowadays? I may try them for the first time in the near future

Here is the invoice I received for an item last week

https://imgur.com/a/Du7gVyX

#782 November 22 2021

HzSamer

Shop&Ship offer on Flex plan

Use promo code Lebanon78 to get FLEX for USD 4.6 instead of USD 21.

This offer is only valid on 22nd November 2021.

Untitled.png

#783 November 23 2021

ggtks

zizo99 wrote:
ggtks wrote:
zizo99 wrote:

Here is the invoice I received for an item last week

https://imgur.com/a/Du7gVyX

So when they say inflation charges for 14 USD, is that based on the declared value on the packaging? How did they come up with that 50,000 number?

Because that's all on top of the shipping fees. Granted it's all in liras, but still.

HzSamer wrote:

Shop&Ship offer on Flex plan

Use promo code Lebanon78 to get FLEX for USD 4.6 instead of USD 21.

This offer is only valid on 22nd November 2021.

https://i.ibb.co/4RdDG6r/Untitled.png

Code no longer works, FWIW. I'm not a Facebook user, so it's no surprise I didn't see it. An email would've been nice.

#784 November 26 2021

Duath

any idea if we can ship tablets using shopandship , and if they require clearance from MOT? want to buy the Tab S7 + keyboard

#785 November 27 2021

MichaelFeghali

Does Shop and Ship charge any one-time setup fees when creating an account? Or is it free for non-Flex Members?

#786 December 30 2021

Duath

Dear Customer,

Starting January 1st 2022, Shop & Ship will collect shipping payments in USD only (cash or online) and customs charges will be collected in local currency (cash on delivery).

Thank you for your cooperation,
The S&S Team

Just got this email from sns. Not sure if this will apply to packages already on the way. Didn't like the short notice.

#787 January 1 2022

NuclearVision

I shopandship and they said if packages arrive to BEY after jan 5, USD eill be collected.
While the short notice is really unkind, a trap i might say- i really benefited a lot from the 6000lbp per usd while usd was for 27000. So i'm happy to pay them back a little part.
I'm thinking  of buying flex too, but i won't be able to order big packages from now on, that's for sure...
Perhaps if all of us email them they could extend the Jan 5 period?

#788 January 1 2022

Duath

NuclearVision wrote:

I shopandship and they said if packages arrive to BEY after jan 5, USD eill be collected.
While the short notice is really unkind, a trap i might say- i really benefited a lot from the 6000lbp per usd while usd was for 27000. So i'm happy to pay them back a little part.
I'm thinking  of buying flex too, but i won't be able to order big packages from now on, that's for sure...
Perhaps if all of us email them they could extend the Jan 5 period?

I have 3 packages on the way so I emailed them and got a confirmation that only the packages received after 1 Jan will be payed in $. And i totally agree the 6000 rate was unfair, but i wish they notified us earlier, not like 2 days before.

#789 January 9 2022

NuclearVision

@duath did you receive anything? paid in usd ?

#790 January 9 2022

Duath

NuclearVision wrote:

@duath did you receive anything? paid in usd ?

Yes i received my packages, paid everything in LBP.

#791 January 31 2022

zizo99

Hello everyone,

I received my order today, and now Aramex charges in USD
I have paid 25USD in cash and 30,000LPB for a 1kg package from Amazon (around 580.000 total).

I paid much less for a bigger shipment a month ago (about 300.000 for around 2kg package) AND I paid all in LBP

I don't know if Shop&Ship is worth it these days

Last edited by zizo99 (January 31 2022)

#792 January 31 2022

NuclearVision

its ok, it was too good.
Now its fine with flex
i got an email that fees will be increased in feb 1st

ill wait and see

#793 January 31 2022

zizo99

NuclearVision wrote:

its ok, it was too good.
Now its fine with flex
i got an email that fees will be increased in feb 1st

ill wait and see

Yes, I just called them, and their shipping fees are now being collected in fresh starting this year (1st Jan).
So, expect to pay around 600.000 LBP for a 1kg package now (by the way, I'm on Flex. so higher if you're not a Flex user )

The weird thing is I received the receipt through my email in LBP. When I enquired about it, they told me they have to put the receipt in LBP since the official rate is still 1507 but they charge you in USD.

Do you think it's still worth it anymore?

Last edited by zizo99 (January 31 2022)

#794 January 31 2022

NuclearVision

whats the rate increase in feb 1 did you ask about it?
the email said it is a rate increase, on top of thebusd we are already paying

#795 January 31 2022

zizo99

NuclearVision wrote:

I don't know, I didn't receive such an email
Can you share it plz?

#796 January 31 2022

Duath

zizo99 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Can you share it plz?

Here you go

We wish to inform you that we’ve updated our shipping rates in Lebanon.   

Effective February 1st, 2022, our new shipping rates will be applied. Please note that these new rates will apply on all shipments received at our origin facilities as of the above mentioned date.

With this change, you can rest assured that we will continue offering the best available rates in the market.

The new rates will be available on the Rate Calculator on our website from the effective date.

#797 January 31 2022

NuclearVision

#798 January 31 2022

NuclearVision

Duath wrote:
zizo99 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Can you share it plz?

Here you go

Effective February 1st, 2022, our new shipping rates will be applied. Please note that these new rates will apply on all shipments received at our origin facilities as of the above mentioned date.

With this change, you can rest assured that we will continue offering the best available rates in the market.

The new rates will be available on the Rate Calculator on our website from the effective date.

Why would they increase the rate just to Lebanon if they are already started getting usd.

#799 January 31 2022

Duath

NuclearVision wrote:
Duath wrote:
zizo99 wrote:

Can you share it plz?

Here you go

Why would they increase the rate just to Lebanon if they are already started getting usd.

Who knows... we just have to wait and see if they increase or decrease the rate.

#800 February 1 2022

HzSamer

S&S has a new design for the website. Also, they changed their rate a bit for the USA.

sands.png

I saved the old rate to compare them to the new ones. Keep in mind that I have S&S Flex Membership, so you will get the best shipping fees.

rates.png

Board footer