LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 29 2022

Guitaret

Connecting MPPT solar charger to a UPS battery

Hello,

I have a home UPS that charges its big battery from EDL or the generator. I want to cancel the generator subscription because the guy is ripping us off. If I got an MPPT solar charger, can I connect it to the batteries in parallel to charge the batteries? Some are saying that it isn't advisable to have the battery charge from 2 chargers at the same time.

Can you please advise?

Thanks

#2 January 29 2022

xazbrat

Re: Connecting MPPT solar charger to a UPS battery

A lot of people use what is called a hybrid system to charge their UPS from more than 1 source.  It is common here--one of my neighbors quit the ishtirak guy for similar reasons and has a few panels (2 I think) hooked up to his UPS and also gets power from EDL and our building generator.  The latter sources will charge your batteries a lot quicker and is especially handy when it comes on in the evening.  If you get more panels, theoretically you could be using the excess that isn't being used to charge your UPS as a resource to turn on your fridge and other appliances, so keep that in mind as the warmer months approach eventually.

I will also be going that way soon, just waiting for the right opportunity.

#3 January 29 2022

beezer

Yes, can be done. Several are doing it including me at 2 different locations.

Didn't find a point to buy an inverter if my UPS was enough.

#4 January 29 2022

Guitaret

@xazbrat I think you are talking about a hybrid inverter which I don't have, I only have a UPS and I want to get a solar charger (+ panels) to just charge the batteries, i won't get any benefit if the batteries are full and the sun is still up.

@beezer, you did connect solar charger to batteries? What will happen if both the UPS & solar charger are charging at the same time?

#5 January 30 2022

beezer

The UPS doesn't charge as it senses a full charge from the Solar panels.

Board footer