LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 15 2022

infiniteloop

Pixel 6 Pro in Lebanon?

I am searching for a shop that sell Pixel 6 Pro ins Lebanon, I only found one 128gb and overpriced, do you know any shop that sell the 256gb version at a logical price?

#2 January 15 2022

Space

Re: Pixel 6 Pro in Lebanon?

I checked Najemstarcall (https://najemstarcall.com/), Class (https://classcellulars.com/) and MobileLeb (https://mobileleb.com/) but none of them have it, then contacted LidaCall on WhatsApp they said: "No, maybe Monday", That's their number: +961 1 818 596 they're located in MarElias, recontact them on Monday if you want...

Good luck, Especially since Pixel phones aren't well-known in Lebanon, also take a look at OLX.

#3 January 16 2022

Salloum

Hi,
unrelated answer but I suggest you do some more research on this device, it is plagued with software issues and has actually gotten worse over time with updates.

#4 January 16 2022

AvoK95

Check outgeeked.net

#5 January 17 2022

beezer

I can bring you one from Canada if you're interested. I'll be in Lebanon next month. Of course you'd have to pay the customs fee's on it yourself and all that.

#6 January 17 2022

infiniteloop

Outgeeked selling the 256gb at 1400$ while it's 1000$ in Canada....
Btw customs are still at 1500? Amd it's about 15% of the phone price right?

#7 January 17 2022

Salloum

I don't think customs will apply to this device. It usually only applies to more mainstream manufacturers such as Apple, Samsung etc. I remember I had a OnePlus that never stopped working without paying anything.

#8 January 17 2022

AvoK95

infiniteloop wrote:

$1000 Canadian dollars equal to $1251 in US dollars without shipping or taxes abroad.

Customs might be at BDL rate (at 1507.5) however shipping and taxes abroad is paid in fresh dolalrs.

Plus you get the advantage of receiving it now, vs waiting for someone to shipment, so $1500 seems fair (Even though I would never pay that much for a phone you hold in your hand everyday and can be stolen any second, but that's just my opinion on the matter)

#9 January 17 2022

Salloum

AvoK95 wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

$1000 Canadian dollars equal to $1251 in US dollars without shipping or taxes abroad.

Customs might be at BDL rate (at 1507.5) however shipping and taxes abroad is paid in fresh dolalrs.

Plus you get the advantage of receiving it now, vs waiting for someone to shipment, so $1500 seems fair (Even though I would never pay that much for a phone you hold in your hand everyday and can be stolen any second, but that's just my opinion on the matter)

1000 CAD is about 800 USD actually.

#10 January 17 2022

AvoK95

Salloum wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

1000 CAD is about 800 USD actually.

correct, my bad, I must have done the conversion in reverse

#11 January 17 2022

infiniteloop

1000$ US, customs in lbp 1500 and Beezer will bring it with him so very very far from 1400$
As someone said A12 on P6 is a bit buggy right now, in a month they will surely fix it, the P6 Pro is their baby

#12 January 17 2022

beezer

I have the Pixel 6, personal things I don't like is that it lists all the Bluetooth devices as Bluetooth when you're in a phone call. So sometimes I'm connected to 3 devices (watch, laptop, headphones). I have to guess which one is which.

That is the biggest problem. Also Wifi calling doesn't work on all networks. They changed the way it's done from the Pixel 5 apparently.

I've had random restarts about 2 times a month. Or no response from the screen, I just turn the screen off (not device) and turn it back on and then it works.

Charging speed is slower than everyone else and unless you're using wireless charger it is very picky about the charging adapter.

BTW I'm in Ontario 13% tax and electronics tax, so calculate accordingly. All up to you

Last edited by beezer (January 17 2022)

#13 January 17 2022

Salloum

infiniteloop wrote:

1000$ US, customs in lbp 1500 and Beezer will bring it with him so very very far from 1400$
As someone said A12 on P6 is a bit buggy right now, in a month they will surely fix it, the P6 Pro is their baby

I think you should familiarize yourself more with Google's behavior towards their smartphone hardware. The Pixel line is overrated. Unless you REALLY care about the camera, OnePlus offers a much, much better 'vanilla Android' experience.

#14 January 17 2022

infiniteloop

I love oneplus phones but the 9 Pro and 10 Pro both have a meh telephoto camera, and A12 is also very buggy on 9 Pro.
My s21u is boring as I don't have the guts to root it to not loose ctc warranty, but it has 2 very good telephoto lenses and A12 is rock solid.
Why Oneplus released such a disappointing 10 Pro?
I am waiting for proper reviews of the Xiaomi Mi12 Pro, xiaomi phones have plenty of "pixel experience" custom roms

#15 January 18 2022

Salloum

If you have an S21 Ultra, save your money... it's literally a better smartphone than all the others you are considering. Just root it and enjoy it.

#16 January 18 2022

infiniteloop

Salloum wrote:

If you have an S21 Ultra, save your money... it's literally a better smartphone than all the others you are considering. Just root it and enjoy it.

What about ctc warranty? I don't have any problem with my phone though, if there was a factory fault I would have know it since months. Are ctc still picky with knox triggered phones?

#17 January 18 2022

Salloum

Like you said, warranty will only cover factory defects, if you have had it for months now, there is less than 0.1% chance something will happen now. CTC do check for the KNOX trigger though so yes it will be void if you go through with it. I think it is worth it especially if you don't keep your devices that long, which it sounds like you don't.

#18 January 18 2022

infiniteloop

The thing is that there are no interesting custom roms for now on s21u, they are stock based and nearly no mods, so besides ads blocking I don't find the advantages of rooting right now. Now if Hyperom or Lineage comes out, it's another story.
I usually replace my phones once a year, but with the s21u it's the 1st time I don't root that's why it's beginning to be boring
I don't have the choice but to keep it, as you said until now there are no real winner in 2022,let's wait and see

#19 January 18 2022

Salloum

All phones are boring bro. We're not in 2013 anymore, they're all the same, and they don't have new features usually except for very minor things. The only thing that keeps it interesting for me is having an iPhone and an Android and swapping between them every 2-3 weeks.

#20 January 18 2022

yasamoka

You want to swap out a flagship phone for another because the one you have is boring? What does boring even mean? If software has gotten good enough that you no longer need root for most / all of the features you want, is that a bad thing? May wonders never cease...

A phone is a tool. For work, for entertainment, for photography, etc... If it does what you want it to do, then that's all there is to it.

Last edited by yasamoka (January 18 2022)

#21 January 18 2022

beezer

I had the S21 and got the Pixel 6. Only did that because my wife needed a new phone and I got the Pixel 6 for a crazy good deal. So have her the S21.

I wish I kept the S21 and gave her the Pixel 6. But they're saying there's an update coming out. Will see if that makes it better.

#22 January 18 2022

infiniteloop

yasamoka wrote:

You want to swap out a flagship phone for another because the one you have is boring? What does boring even mean? If software has gotten good enough that you no longer need root for most / all of the features you want, is that a bad thing? May wonders never cease...

A phone is a tool. For work, for entertainment, for photography, etc... If it does what you want it to do, then that's all there is to it.

I didn't root for 2 reasons, ctc warranty and lack of interesting roms, by interesting I mean with many mods. Hyperom is said to come very soon, it could finally convince me to root.
The advantage of a Oneplus is that you are free to root and unroot without fear, and you get tons of custom roms. Same goes for the xiaomi

#23 January 19 2022

yasamoka

infiniteloop wrote:
yasamoka wrote:

I didn't root for 2 reasons, ctc warranty and lack of interesting roms, by interesting I mean with many mods. Hyperom is said to come very soon, it could finally convince me to root.
The advantage of a Oneplus is that you are free to root and unroot without fear, and you get tons of custom roms. Same goes for the xiaomi

You lose a lot these days when you go for custom ROMs. Off the top of my head:

1) Widevine DRM for protected content like Netflix at 720p and above.

2) Calibrated color profiles (such as Natural mode for Samsung phones which is equivalent to a calibrated sRGB mode). I have yet to see a custom ROM that allows you to clamp the color gamut to something acceptable for everyday browsing (pretty much all content on the web is still sRGB) or photography (your Gallery app is going to show every single image oversaturated). Even if we were to take color gamut out of the picture and focus just on basic grayscale calibration, most ROMs seem to do the adjustments in software and this causes posterization (reduction of the available colors for display).

3) Camera quality, and often quite severely, since you lose the proprietary camera app that comes preinstalled on the phone along with the algorithms it uses for that specific sensor. Computational photography can make or break a phone's camera as evidenced by the use of the same sensor but with successively better software across multiple Pixel generations before the Pixel 6, or OnePlus's often second-fiddle performance even when using the same sensor / sensor class.

4) Stability and reliability. Many ROMs are hit and miss when it comes to that.

The process is nowhere as smooth as, say, installing Windows or Linux on a machine that did not come preinstalled with one or the other.

OnePlus software has been hit and miss since the OnePlus 8 Pro. I had been eyeing OnePlus then 8 Pro display issues happened and the 9 Pro doesn't inspire confidence with all the software issues people are facing. It's just not a device that competes well with the S21 Ultra other than in smoothness and flexibility of custom ROMs, the latter of which is fast becoming a niche use case.

Xiaomi software is improving but is not quite up to the level of OneUI 4 yet.

What do you use custom ROMs for that you're willing to take all the disadvantages that come with having a phone with the ability to install custom ROMs easier?

Last edited by yasamoka (January 19 2022)

#24 January 19 2022

Salloum

yasamoka wrote:

Spot on really, this is the very reason I tend to prefer iOS - reliability and consistency. No need to fiddle with it to get it working the way I want.

#25 January 19 2022

infiniteloop

Hyperom is OneUi based so you won't lose camera screen options, netflix I don't care at all
@Salloum that's the thing, if you don't give a damn about customising your phone to your liking then ios is good, but you have also people who like this side of smartphones. The S21U is as stable as the iphone 13 but with more options.
I love for exemple that I can use a video as background for my lockscreen, smartphones are also nowadays small computers not only phones

Board footer