LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 22 2021

DG

Seedbox notice from supplier

Anyone with OVH / Kimsufi (or any other VPS / Seedbox provider for that matter) ever received a copyright infringement notice from them ?

I downloaded "Skyrim SE" to my seedbox yesterday and, sure enough, an hour or so later I received an email from OVH saying they got a notice. They actually forwarded it and I Googled it (sender's name, address, etc...). It looks very legit.

So I immediately deleted the torrent and replied to them that I removed it.

1) Do you think they can / will take personal legal action against me ?
2) Do you think there's a finite number of times you can receive a notice for any torrent before they completely revoke your service even if you do comply fast enough by removing the torrents in question ?
3) How did the company who sent them the notice find out this torrent was seeded just an hour after I downloaded it ?
4) Any advice about what titles/files to specifically keep away from in order to avoid this type of situation in the future ?

Thanks all.

Last edited by DG (December 22 2021)

#2 December 22 2021

nuclearcat

Re: Seedbox notice from supplier

Hetzner will shut your account down and ban you forever from using their service if you get several abuse complaints in short time.

Tracing illegal torrents is trivial, better just dont run them.
One of possible options to hide your torrent activity - get hosting AND use some VPN from it, like nordvpn, for torrenting.

#3 December 22 2021

DG

Ty nuclearcat,

So the interval between the abuse complaints matters. I mean it's not the same if I get 2 notices in the same week as opposed to getting 2 notices with a 6 months interval between them ?

Are you saying I should get a VPN and link my torrent client running on my server to go through that VPN ?

#4 December 23 2021

nuclearcat

Usually interval matters, but depends on hosting.
Yes, if you do it properly, usually only what will be exposed is shared IP of VPN server, which is way harder to trace to end-user.

#5 December 27 2021

Hani

Agreed on the response from nuclearcat. When you use VPN, you don't look like you are "terminating" the connection. It's more of a redirection of your connection so you'll be in the clear.

#6 December 27 2021

DG

Ok, ty both.

Board footer