LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 7 2021

infiniteloop

Best router sold in Lebanon for concrete walls?

Hello
Yesterday cyberia finally installed the fiber modem to my parents house, unfortunately they put it in a closet at like 3 to 4 concrete walls (one of them has the main house electric board) to the bedrooms, needless to say the signal is pretty weak. I have a basic Tenda router f300 that plays the role of extender but the repeated internet is very very slow.
I called back cyberia cable guy to see if he can change the placement of the router but he said I have to talk with cyberia meaning peanuts.
So now I am searching for the best way to amplify the signal.
Should I get a dual band router with high wifi power and plug the nokia modem to it by cable or it's useless as it won't do miracles given the walls?
Should I bring a same kind of router but this time I put it as repeater in my room instead of the Tenda?
Anyway what are the best penetrating wifi routers that are sold in Lebanon?

#2 September 21 2021

Hani

Re: Best router sold in Lebanon for concrete walls?

In my opinion... none... instead you should wire your house with a real WiFi Access Point solution. Extenders are just a pain in the butt. They often tend to fail and they don't cover properly and they are a WiFi Client at first.
Good luck ! :)

#3 September 21 2021

new_user

infiniteloop wrote:

Hello
Yesterday cyberia finally installed the fiber modem to my parents house, unfortunately they put it in a closet at like 3 to 4 concrete walls (one of them has the main house electric board) to the bedrooms, needless to say the signal is pretty weak. I have a basic Tenda router f300 that plays the role of extender but the repeated internet is very very slow.
I called back cyberia cable guy to see if he can change the placement of the router but he said I have to talk with cyberia meaning peanuts.
So now I am searching for the best way to amplify the signal.
Should I get a dual band router with high wifi power and plug the nokia modem to it by cable or it's useless as it won't do miracles given the walls?
Should I bring a same kind of router but this time I put it as repeater in my room instead of the Tenda?
Anyway what are the best penetrating wifi routers that are sold in Lebanon?

Is there no way that you can get a long ethernet cable connected to your fiber modem to go outside the concrete walls? Then you can connect your router at the other end past the walls.

#4 September 21 2021

infiniteloop

I managed to install an asus ac86u as the main router connected to the modem by cable, then I added an asus router ac66u as mesh node. Now I have a great cover of Wifi with great speed
5g of the ac86u is really awesome, it's one of the very few routers to give high speed mb/s even if a bit far. Coverage is the same but the speed is much better on mid to weak signals spots

#5 September 28 2021

Hani

Using mesh mode is much better than extenders but again that really depends on how far you need to reach. If it's a big home with lots of walls you might need more than one mesh to cover all the area you want to cover. Unfortunately, there are no theoretical formula that can work to calculate it. You can only try it physically and see the result by doing speed tests or just regularly browse the internet and load heavy pages to see the bandwidth and latency performance.

Cheers

#6 October 22 2021

rolf

What happened to wires? I mean I understand that wireless is cool and convenient but it's like wires don't exist anymore... Just lay an ethernet wire from the router to a spot with good wifi coverage where you can install a new router which will provide wifi and disable the wifi on your cyberia router.

Board footer