LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 29 2008

samer
Admin

Music Organization

How do you organize your music?

Personally, when I get new music :

• I verify if the tags are good using the Media Scrubber feature in Media Rage (mac only).
• I put the Artwork in the same folder as the MP3s
• I use a Media Rage feature that embeds the first image in the folder into all of the songs.
• I change the folder name to :  Artist - Year - Album
• I move the folder to the latest " wave "  (i'm using a date/person-oriented taxonomy to know where and when I got the music)
• I move the album to iTunes.

What about you?

#2 July 29 2008

WizaRd

Re: Music Organization

Basically everything is dusted in my ever-growing Music folder.

Each artist has their own Folder, inside it there is a separate folder for each of their albums/singles/EPs...

Tags are fully detailed when it comes to title, track #, year...

Windows Vista by default has the cover of the album showing on the folder icon so its cool

#3 July 30 2008

mir

at laptop.. put in music folder and let rythmbox detect it
at home.. i leave it to my bro and sis to organize stuff... they got an amazingly well organized collection

at work :
depends on what i get my hands on
usually we put music folder on shared location
we have seperate folders on each pc as well

when i get my hand on something, usually put shared folder.. sometime i keep personal copy (specially if the music is officially classified as "tzizo2" cuz i fear my co-workers deleting it specially that i got speakers connected to my computer )

i also make sure to copy the music file couple of times.. rename it to different popular names and slip it into my co-workers favorite music folders
like this.. in the morning that cool french music file turns out to be actually a heavy rock music, while my co-worker is still shocked or half deaf from the music.. i make sure to get "busy" with someone or to get away as far as possible to avoid the khabit
it helps me wake up in the morning. as i have to stay alert cuz at any moment the rock file may play and khabit tends to be able to wake me up

lately we have been poisoning each other music folder with wazwaz songs like kirmelik ya dominic song ... pretty hilarious

Last edited by mir (July 30 2008)

#4 August 4 2008

Chris

I tag and arrange everything in iTunes, all my tracks are completely tagged from track number to genre.

#5 August 4 2008

samer
Admin

I tag and arrange everything in iTunes, all my tracks are completely tagged from track number to genre.

I hear iTunes does not embed the album artwork into the MP3 file.
I recommend you checkout Media Rage (since you're on a mac). Check my first post for details.

#6 August 5 2008

Chris

I'm not sure about that, when I moved music that was tagged in iTunes (Windows) to my Mac, album covers were previewed in Finder and displayed in iTunes...

Media Rage looks like something one would use when everything is in a total mess, I don't have much interest in a tagger at the moment since every track is perfectly tagged.

#7 August 6 2008

mir

I think it would be intresting to know what softwares u guys used before finally settling on your choice
and feedback on each if possible

i used so far:
- windows media player
- winamp
- jet audio
- vlc
- rythmbox
- itunes
- totem
- Real one

it would be nice if u state as well the ones you hate and think are horrible stuff

for the Physical music organisation
i have:
- English
- French
- Arabic
- Music
Folder (music cantains music and other foreign languages)

if i have collection for artist i create folder in the corresponding folder
otherwise i create a folder formatted yyyymm
and each month download go into a folder

as for the logical organisation, i just make sure that i can quick search it by name

Last edited by mir (August 6 2008)

#8 August 6 2008

samer
Admin

@mir check out Amarok if you're on Linux :

Amarok is the music player for Linux and Unix with an intuitive interface. Amarok makes playing the music you love easier than ever before - and looks good doing it.

#9 August 6 2008

Cedric

or Banshee

Edit:
There is also Atunes which is cross platform if i am not mistaken
and Morganize which is under development.

Last edited by Cedric (August 6 2008)

#10 August 6 2008

Chris

When I used to have Windows it was either foobar2k or iTunes. On Linux I went Banshee, and on OS X naturally iTunes.
Isn't Amarok Qt-based? I think that's what put me off...

As for physical organization, its Artist > Album > Track. Pretty simple. Here.

#11 August 6 2008

samer
Admin

@Chris: what's that app near time-machine (to the left) in the Menu Bar?

Since I share music with about 5 or 6 persons on a regular basis, here's my physical organization :

mu_$person > wave_$i > album name - year - title

$person being the person that gave me the music (could be myself)
$i is an incremental value, every time a mass of music is given to me, I add one.

I sync it to Time Capsule for my family to enjoy.

I then import the music to iTunes and put it in Album view.

#12 August 6 2008

Chris

Its the Wakoopa Tracker. You can check out my profile here.

#13 August 6 2008

battikh

i'm currently struggling to reorganize all my mp3s...
i used to have flat folders by language (english/french/arabic/other). i don't like to have subfolders, it's a headach when you want to browse for song and copy paste them somewhere, going in and out of folders and stuff. i find it usefull only when you have many songs from a particular artist, otherwise flat is better. you just scroll down. naming of the files is usually artist-song.mp3, no need for album title and track number, who cares about that? when i want to find a song it's either by the artist name or by the song title, so no need for other things that will just make the filename bigger for nothing.
i'm currently retaging everything, i'm using musicbrainz.org, it retags everything automatically, even if the filename is something like 01.mp3 it is able to find the correct tags. i still have to figure out if i will keep using flat folders or go for subfolders for each artist, but i think i'll stay with flat folders...
for players, on wndows i used to use iTunes, but dumped it for songbird. now i might do the move to media monkey. my god, everything is so blurry in my head media-wise, i really don't know what i want

#14 August 6 2008

Chris

Heh, searching is wonderful when you've got things like Spotlight or Quicksilver. I don't think fully taagging your audio files will make them relatively any bigger.

Give foobar2k a go, its insanely powerful, you can toy with it as you please, head to the forums on HydrogenAudio and keep track of plugins and interface mods, there is a lot to do with foobar.

#15 February 27 2009

proners

Well i organize my music by genre, i create a folder for each one, if i have too little from a certain genre i just add them to another similar one.
I always name my music files using this format Artist - Song, I don't keep albums, i always pick the best songs from whatever singer/band, i don't follow any band blindly, i just listen to what i like to.
I have Winamp on my PC just to remove any tags, I didn't like them because I would have had to search for information for over a couple of thousand files so deleting them seemed to be the faster option, and make playlist files out of these folders.
I use VLC with shuffle and repeat to play those playlists. I also make some other playlists(like all time favorite, etc)...
I use an indexing option as my media library, like Windows Search 4.0 in windows XP, i like indexing programs better than media libraries in programs because i can also reach the lyrics files(which i organize by Alphabetical(folders) order)
off-topic: my all time favourite band are the Scorpions and i find myself these days listenning mostly to alternative music with some hard rock.

Last edited by proners (February 27 2009)

#16 August 12 2009

beezer

I also organize by Genre
Rap & Hip Hop / R&B Easy Listening / Rock / Electro / and so on.
Then in each folder I have A - Z folders, and folders for artists that have full albums.

I also have a Latin / Soundtrack folder.

What I do need is a wonderful program that will find album artwork for me on Windows. As well as replace the MP3 tags with the proper stuff, and empty all the ones that aren't logical. I'll give atunes a try, seems simple enough. WMP sucks for organizing and editing tags if you have a million different songs. But it fins artwork pretty well, although doesn't append them to the file always. At least with me.

#17 August 12 2009

rolf

I tried foobar2k, its supposed to be light on memory, but it takes as much as itunes.
It downloaded most of the artwork wrong and renamed some songs with weird names.
I spent 1/2 hour doing my own ui then i deleted the main pane by mistake, and I found out that there is no undo for what I did, so I got mad and uninstalled it... back to itunes.
You can get proper track names downloaded while you rip music from an audio CD, but if theyre downloaded then it will always be hard to get the right info I guess.

Edit: I used to organize my music in folders, but now I use search mostly.
Im a search-oriented person. When I launch a program I dont even go into Programs, I search for the exe and launch it.

Last edited by rolf (August 12 2009)

Board footer